U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 10:07 AM

4,813 posts, read 4,052,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
The ergonomics of self checkout are not even on my list of things worthy of my attention right now.
Sure, I might want more space at the register. But I just can't get that worked up about it. Bigger fish to fry, as one saying goes. Sorry.
I agree. If self-checkout line is shorter, I'll jump in that line. If a register happens to be free, I'll go there.

This is all a big to-do about nothing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 11:15 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,629,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And what's with the Frau? Does your SCO voice speak with a German accent? LOL.
"You vill put ze item back on ze shelf. Now!"

Old 06-22-2020, 11:31 AM

21,377 posts, read 15,537,850 times
I’m trying to figure out why this is in the economics forum. It’s about ergonomics

Old 06-22-2020, 11:34 AM

64,714 posts, read 61,033,589 times
From the OP:

Quote:
Even if you are a relatively tall, gibbon-armed person, it's difficult to either unload from behind or reach the top tray from in front
Well, I am one of those people, so it's easier for me to reach into the cart and get my stuff and then reach to put it on a conveyor belt or scan it if using the SCO.

But everything in this world is made for "little people", it seems, so while having the reach advantage, we are sentenced to a life of backaches from having to lean awkwardly to perform every task from scanning and bagging our groceries to washing dishes at our own sinks.

I remember watching a friend years ago stand at her kitchen sink. She just stood there and turned on the water and it ran over her hands and the dish as she washed it. Just. Stood. There. Did not have to stoop or lean forward to get her hands beneath the faucet. It was when I realized why I had to stop every few dishes and back away from the sink and stretch because standing at the sink makes my back hurt.

That was in my head because I used the SCO yesterday and was wondering why they make it so damn low...

Sometimes I feel as if I live among Hobbits.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:45 AM

7,501 posts, read 5,948,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I think the voice is just for theft prevention. If the employee overseeing self-checkout notices dead silence from your kiosk, he's probably supposed to come over and check.
Nope, that's never happened.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:48 AM

2,821 posts, read 1,323,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post

Besides all the other issues of SCO, one of the things that drives me batscoot about it is how badly the stations are designed... not just bad, not just awful, but about as badly as someone could do while trying to discourage people from using them.

I have no problem with any of the SCOs at the stores where I shop.

If you don't like yours, don't use them. Write to the store owners if you like.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:51 AM

2,789 posts, read 774,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sometimes I feel as if I live among Hobbits.
You would have loved the house I grew up it. A DIY build right after the war, it had kitchen counters some 4" taller than standard. My understanding was that the couple was very tall. Neither I nor my siblings much cared, since we were tall enough by the time we moved there, but my 5'2" mother hated them every day of the 20+ years she lived there. Unfortunately, they were old-school/farmhouse/postwar built and thus nearly indestructible, and the kitchen was large and oddly shaped, making a full replacement both something that was never needed on any other grounds and fearsomely expensive. They're still there.

I'm sure a lot of public ergonomics are bent the other way, for ADA accessibility, and having gone through stretches of limited mobility I can only sympathize with those who need accommodation. But the low working height of SCO stations is the least of their design faults.

But, hey, it's been announced it's a problem of no consequence, so let's go back to the Great TP Shortage of 2020 or which banks are giving away toasters this week or something else really important now.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:22 PM
KCZ

2,506 posts, read 1,409,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I agree. If self-checkout line is shorter, I'll jump in that line. If a register happens to be free, I'll go there.

This is all a big to-do about nothing.

Grocery store checkout is not "nothing" if you're disabled, particularly by a back injury.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:30 PM

64,714 posts, read 61,033,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
You would have loved the house I grew up it. A DIY build right after the war, it had kitchen counters some 4" taller than standard. My understanding was that the couple was very tall. Neither I nor my siblings much cared, since we were tall enough by the time we moved there, but my 5'2" mother hated them every day of the 20+ years she lived there. Unfortunately, they were old-school/farmhouse/postwar built and thus nearly indestructible, and the kitchen was large and oddly shaped, making a full replacement both something that was never needed on any other grounds and fearsomely expensive. They're still there.

I'm sure a lot of public ergonomics are bent the other way, for ADA accessibility, and having gone through stretches of limited mobility I can only sympathize with those who need accommodation. But the low working height of SCO stations is the least of their design faults.

But, hey, it's been announced it's a problem of no consequence, so let's go back to the Great TP Shortage of 2020 or which banks are giving away toasters this week or something else really important now.
Wow, you must be as old as I am!

Re the heights, I grew up in a house that WAS designed for the disabled, long, long, before the ADA was a twinkle in anyone's eye. My parents' house was built in 1957 with a grant from the government to accommodate my father's disability. He had lost both legs below the knee in WWII, and while he walked on prosthetic legs, there were times when he would get infections and have to keep his legs off and use a wheelchair. So, doorways and the hallway are wider than normal, there were no front steps, and his bathroom had a walk-in (or roll-in) shower.

But...my mother was 5'11" (Dad was 5'10" before the war, and after he was wounded, the guy making his first pair of legs asked him how tall he wanted to be, and he said 6'. He hadn't yet met my mother, either!)

So I grew up with the long and the short of it.

By the way, when they built that house, they had three kids. They ended up with seven, so there is a second floor with three more bedrooms and another bath. My father died in '99 and my mother in March, so now we have this weird house we will have to sell if the courts ever open so we can probate the will...

Death or SCO's, it's always somethin', ain't it?

Old 06-22-2020, 01:03 PM

4,593 posts, read 4,160,834 times
Ever get in a cashier line when you have too many items for Express, but you get behind someone who has several WIC orders, has to divide them up strategically, and neither the customer nor the cashier knows what's going on? It's times like that when I'm thankful for self-checkout.

On the other hand, most of the time I would rather go to a human cashier because after all, I don't work for the supermarket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics