U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 01:16 PM

2,789 posts, read 774,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Ever get in a cashier line when you have too many items for Express, but you get behind someone who has several WIC orders, has to divide them up strategically, and neither the customer nor the cashier knows what's going on? It's times like that when I'm thankful for self-checkout.
For one thing, it's not clear express/10 Items or Less lanes exist much any more.* They were the first target/victim of self checkout.

For another, I long ago learned to never, ever, under any circumstances get behind two women with one cart. Not only do they have two completely separate purchases to sort out, but they argue about who is going to pay for some things (with each insisting they will), and then they have a third order for a neighbor or Mama or someone. WIC has nothing to do with it; I've seen it with platinum Amex cards.

* True story: in my early 30s I was in a grocery store when the announcement was made that there was "no line at the Ten Items or Fewer" lane. When I went to customer service to thank the announcer (the assistant manager) for his brave attempt at grammatical neatness, it turned out to be a kid I'd played little league with...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 01:29 PM

4,593 posts, read 4,160,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
WIC has nothing to do with it; I've seen it with platinum Amex cards.
LOL I'll keep your "2 women, 1 cart" rule in mind! Although the nightmare WIC scenario played out with just 1 woman and 1 cart but 3 separate orders. Each order had a pineapple. I avoid lines now where anyone has a pineapple.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:35 PM

4,813 posts, read 4,052,120 times
Quote:
Ever get in a cashier line when you have too many items for Express, but you get behind someone who has several WIC orders, has to divide them up strategically, and neither the customer nor the cashier knows what's going on? It's times like that when I'm thankful for self-checkout.

On the other hand, most of the time I would rather go to a human cashier because after all, I don't work for the supermarket.
Self checkout is nice if I want to just do my own thing and don't feel like interacting or waiting in line.

But other times, it's nice to just dump my stuff on the ramp and let someone else do all the work.

The Express line is often the longest one of all. I tend to look for a line that's moving fast; even if someone has a lot of stuff, if he's got a fast cashier who's moving him right along, it's a better bet.

Self is the slowest of all. Takes me forever to fill up a bag, and I've been using self for years. Honestly I would like them to get moving with Internet of Things RFID stickers, and it just senses everything in your cart and totals it up for you without having to lift a finger.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:50 PM

4,593 posts, read 4,160,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
... it just senses everything in your cart and totals it up for you without having to lift a finger.
Good luck with that. Yesterday the lady in front of me had two little green spherical items from the produce section. The young American male cashier had no idea what they were, and the lady wasn't much help. He ended up calling another young dude over, who dithered and then said to ring them up at 30 cents each. It's not The Future yet, at least not at my local supermarket.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Good luck with that.
It's pretty much a dead-end technology for most retail uses, especially high-quantity/small size/low value applications like grocery. Just something that does not scale from warehouse management to packs of gum, no matter how IdiOTically implemented.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:10 PM

4,970 posts, read 4,093,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Self checkout is nice if I want to just do my own thing and don't feel like interacting or waiting in line.

But other times, it's nice to just dump my stuff on the ramp and let someone else do all the work.

The Express line is often the longest one of all. I tend to look for a line that's moving fast; even if someone has a lot of stuff, if he's got a fast cashier who's moving him right along, it's a better bet.

Self is the slowest of all. Takes me forever to fill up a bag, and I've been using self for years. Honestly I would like them to get moving with Internet of Things RFID stickers, and it just senses everything in your cart and totals it up for you without having to lift a finger.
Self checkout just doesn't scale up well at all which I think is the point going over many readers' heads.
A few items and self checkout is great.
A full cart with a lot of groceries takes much longer to scan, pay, and bag than a long ramp, cashier quickly scanning, and a bagger.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Self checkout just doesn't scale up well at all which I think is the point going over many readers' heads.
A full cart with a lot of groceries takes much longer to scan, pay, and bag than a long ramp, cashier quickly scanning, and a bagger.
All good points/summary of some of the discussion. It started as a "few items" convenience and is now being pushed past its limits.

I oppose it (as anything but an option) for many reasons other than the "it's taking jobs" argument, but have to concede we're not just stuck with it, but will see it expand into the norm within the year. Human checkout will be a peak-traffic, "better store" and special-assistance thing by the end of next year.

So they could at least recognize the generally crappy way it's been implemented and make it easier to check out larger quantities, which (by the way) would improve the system for those who already think it's just the kitty's night clothes. What's frustrating is that other than giving most stations a little more room, there is absolutely no added cost to making the stations work better. Building a crappy one costs just as much as building an ergonomic one. (Well, they would have to pay the vendor more to actually program the system to work right, but that's a lost cause in itself.)

Old 06-22-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
People are buying a LOT of stuff these days. Not wanting to visit the store too frequently, I would guess.

But lines are long. You have to plan ahead.

The Costco near us has lines all the way from the front of the store to the back. You will spend at least 20 minutes in line. And that's after waiting 30 minutes to get into the store.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:41 PM

983 posts, read 484,724 times
Most of the full service stores I have been too recently have like 1 bagger for 5 lines therefore I get to bag my own groceries either way bc the cashier just stands there.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Most of the full service stores I have been too recently have like 1 bagger for 5 lines therefore I get to bag my own groceries either way bc the cashier just stands there.
Man! I've seen really good cashiers run everything through, bag some as they go, and finish the bagging really fast. There's a pro.

I've also seen lackluster cashiers, great baggers, and awful baggers.

One time (at Whole Foods of all places), the bagger put the marshmallows at the bottom of the bag and started to dump stuff over it. I silently pulled it all out and rebagged it while he stood there looking kind of embarrassed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics