U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 05:07 PM

7,519 posts, read 3,655,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
On the other hand, most of the time I would rather go to a human cashier because after all, I don't work for the supermarket.
My choice usually depends on how many fruits/veggies I have. I ended up learning a few that I bought constantly like yellow onions, roma tomatoes, green bell peppers, but if I've got a big load of stuff that requires looking up I'll go for the human cashier. Usually they know almost all of them by heart, only occasionally stopping to look something up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 07:13 PM

3,480 posts, read 1,137,521 times
I HATTTTE self checkouts.

I don't work there. I AM NOT scanning and bagging $250 worth of groceries!

Old 06-22-2020, 09:32 PM

20,920 posts, read 23,334,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Who needs airline staff when you can check-in on your phone and drop off your bag? No wonder the rest of the world thinks Americans are slobs
What does having airline staff in any way correlate to Americans bring slobs? A slob is a unkept dirty person.

I don’t care for self check out. The store is now getting free labor from me.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:32 PM

960 posts, read 880,410 times
Quote:
I like self checkouts because I can breeze through them. Unless one has a disability or they are old, I don't understand why you think self check-out is complex. I think some people though are just resistance to change.

Self checkout is the future, if high schoolers can work as cashiers, how hard is it?
I have one major issue with SCO stations, which is that the frame where you're supposed to put the bags really doesn't work at all for good quality reusable bags. It's designed for the store's five-cent plastic bags, and for only those bags, or for bags that are shaped the same way. Why good canvas or vinyl shopping bags won't fit on those frames is probably a rather complex problem with a lot of factors, but in the end I think it boils down to the inexorable drive to cut corners and shave costs.

So, if I'm buying maybe a half-dozen items, I'm just fine with SCO. Otherwise, not so much.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:49 PM

6,041 posts, read 1,781,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
If they want us to do the job, they should at least enable us to do so.
I agree - I've never focused on the poor ergonomics, but after you detail it, I'm with you.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:49 PM

637 posts, read 206,686 times
i love self checkout
in the supermarkets i go to they're often empty with lines for cashiers. it's great.
and added plus is not having to talk to anyone. the portable scanners are great, i wish every store had them.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:57 PM

637 posts, read 206,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
WHERE on Earth did you get the idea that the high schoolers are the "cream of the crop" as grocery store cashiers?

My other half (OH) is a front end supervisor in a grocery store.
I can't begin to tell you the complaints my OH has about the "juniors" ( those 18 and under)!

New York (our state), California and now I guess New Jersey as well all have strict high school requirements ( NY and CA have the Regents college preparatory program that all high school students must graduate from.), Yet if they can't relate it to video game or cell phone app, they aren't so interested in learning and getting it right.

They stand and are bored ( definitely look it), and according to my OH a fire needs to be lit under their A$$€$ to get them to do something.
They lack manners and proper social Grace's, and are lazy. Apperently the words or verbs "clean" and "work" are not in their vocabulary.

God forbid they get asked to actually DO something.

Even though cells are not allowed during working hours, guess who is still always on them? Sneaking chats and messages to their friends, family, whomever.

They have no respect for elders, they have a 'tude (attitude) regardless of what is going on.

They cannot do simple basic arithmetic without using their cell phones.

They call in sick, pull no-shows or don't show up...just because there's a party at Sam or Sally's house they'd much rather go to than Actually meet their work schedule obligations.

Many, during covid-19 call off continuously or gave a blanket excuse "ah, duh, my mommy and daddy said I can't come to work until the covid-19 scare is over".

They act as though they've never been taught the English language, and even though each generation has their own vernacular ( a word they wouldn't even understand), theirs is completely unintelligible!

"Cream if the crop" for high schoolers? My OH "my butt!!"

College kids are even worse, especially when it comes to calling off to go to a party or because they are hung over from the party last night!

And the first few beautiful days of spring after the loooong NE winters? Don't expect either to show up! They won't even call with a lie about why they can't come in, they just won't show up!

Of course my OH (and i) work for a living and have a mortgage to pay, but for them mommy and daddy pay the bills, so they don't really WANT to work, they are just looking for "pocket money".

But, there are a few very good, reliable and intelligent juniors, but they are the minority and few and far between. Unfortunately, because of their good work ethic, they often leave to go other jobs.

I'm pretty sure you could get rid of the cell phones and most of this describes most teenagers at any point in time.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:18 AM

3,969 posts, read 3,815,326 times
Quote:
Who needs airline staff when you can check-in on your phone and drop off your bag? No wonder the rest of the world thinks Americans are slobs

For International flights, inspection of passport, documentation is required. People of various nationalities are travelling to different countries. Airline staff is necessary in those cases.

Even dropping bags is not that easy once you start touching the baggage limits.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:21 AM

3,969 posts, read 3,815,326 times
If any store has a shortage of employees, I can take my business elsewhere.

I would prefer creating an American job at retail instead of importing a self checkout machine from China.

Store is not paying me for self-checkout.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:35 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,263,502 times
The problem with self checkout, is when the bananas are bruised and the bread is ruined, my wife knows I was the bagger...we can’t blame that young kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics