U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2020, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
6,676 posts, read 6,751,122 times
Reputation: 8830

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I like self checkouts because I can breeze through them. Unless one has a disability or they are old, I don't understand why you think self check-out is complex. I think some people though are just resistance to change.

Self checkout is the future, if high schoolers can work as cashiers, how hard is it?
You’re kidding, right? Do you hit up the grocery store daily or something?! Did you not read the OP’s post, which perfectly put why these things suck? I’d never, ever use self checkout for a regular grocery trip. It has one use and one use alone - TINY purchases, like I forgot something last time or need to pick up a greeting card and that’s it. Otherwise it’s completely useless and takes at least 5x as long as a regular lane. We always have an entire shopping cart full of stuff. I’m just shocked this has to be explained to you?! What planet are you doing self checkout on? I’m here on earth, where a 12” by 14” “bagging area” doesn’t accommodate even 1/8th of what I buy on a grocery trip, yet it yells “place items in bagging area.”

Unless you’re European and buy like 7 items every single day, it’s a broken system that most people avoid at all costs for any real grocery shopping. I’m glad it exists for those few times I just want a greeting card or a few milks or something like that, but my god it’s not even good for a six pack of beer because half the time it takes forever to get someone over there to scan the ID check since 5 other people are having problems with Frau yelling at them over something not being in the bagging area. It’s a glacially sloooooow process. And god help you, GOD HELP YOU if you have anything without a label like produce, because good luck finding that code. Or if your on sale item doesn’t show up right as on sale in the system, now you sit and wait again to explain to a real person, no, this isn’t $2.99, it’s 4/10 and I just rang up 4 and it’s not showing. Oh it’ll show up when you finish checking out. Ah ok. Then you finish, it doesn’t show up, and now the wait again.

It’s a hard pass for me on self checkout. I’d rather get my groceries delivered if that was the only choice in-store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2020, 07:21 AM
 
4,583 posts, read 3,931,729 times
Reputation: 10968
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
You’re kidding, right? Do you hit up the grocery store daily or something?! Did you not read the OP’s post, which perfectly put why these things suck? I’d never, ever use self checkout for a regular grocery trip. It has one use and one use alone - TINY purchases, like I forgot something last time or need to pick up a greeting card and that’s it. Otherwise it’s completely useless and takes at least 5x as long as a regular lane. We always have an entire shopping cart full of stuff. I’m just shocked this has to be explained to you?! What planet are you doing self checkout on? I’m here on earth, where a 12” by 14” “bagging area” doesn’t accommodate even 1/8th of what I buy on a grocery trip, yet it yells “place items in bagging area.”

Unless you’re European and buy like 7 items every single day, it’s a broken system that most people avoid at all costs for any real grocery shopping. I’m glad it exists for those few times I just want a greeting card or a few milks or something like that, but my god it’s not even good for a six pack of beer because half the time it takes forever to get someone over there to scan the ID check since 5 other people are having problems with Frau yelling at them over something not being in the bagging area. It’s a glacially sloooooow process. And god help you, GOD HELP YOU if you have anything without a label like produce, because good luck finding that code. Or if your on sale item doesn’t show up right as on sale in the system, now you sit and wait again to explain to a real person, no, this isn’t $2.99, it’s 4/10 and I just rang up 4 and it’s not showing. Oh it’ll show up when you finish checking out. Ah ok. Then you finish, it doesn’t show up, and now the wait again.

It’s a hard pass for me on self checkout. I’d rather get my groceries delivered if that was the only choice in-store.
Nah. Lots of people just use self checkout and have no idea what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2020, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
6,676 posts, read 6,751,122 times
Reputation: 8830
No, they really don’t. Nobody goes to self checkout with a cart full of groceries - it doesn’t fit. Think about what you’re saying - it makes no sense at all. If you have 5 bags of groceries, they don’t fit on that tiny little shelf. You can’t possibly think that’s an effective system. Do you routinely go to the store for just a single bag of groceries?! I don’t go more than once every 4-6 weeks, it’s going to be a full cart of stuff including the lower area being soda. If you don’t have enough space to PUT those things after ringing them up, it’ll yell at you. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2020, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Gilbert, AZ
566 posts, read 249,210 times
Reputation: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
No, they really don’t. Nobody goes to self checkout with a cart full of groceries - it doesn’t fit. Think about what you’re saying - it makes no sense at all. If you have 5 bags of groceries, they don’t fit on that tiny little shelf. You can’t possibly think that’s an effective system. Do you routinely go to the store for just a single bag of groceries?! I don’t go more than once every 4-6 weeks, it’s going to be a full cart of stuff including the lower area being soda. If you don’t have enough space to PUT those things after ringing them up, it’ll yell at you. Period.
Not true where I live. My local Fry's (Kroger-owned grocery store) has people all the time who roll up with a full cart of groceries. Take 20 minutes at the self-checkout. Our stores do not have limits and people wouldn't care anyway. They just stack bags on top of each other or use the "skip bagging" option and put bagged stuff directly back in the cart. It's a cluster-f.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2020, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Ohio
5,752 posts, read 2,182,377 times
Reputation: 5185
It's only practical for a few items. If you have even a modest number of items, good cashier is usually much faster, even if you have to wait in line for a couple of people.

There are two reasons - first, the ergonomics and the design of the workstation. Second, a cashier does this all day every day and becomes very skilled at rapidly processing groceries.

Ultimately we will go to a system of autodetection and autopay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2020, 01:44 PM
 
2,131 posts, read 575,084 times
Reputation: 3429
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
IThere are two reasons - first, the ergonomics and the design of the workstation. Second, a cashier does this all day every day and becomes very skilled at rapidly processing groceries.
These are not separate things, though. A typical checkout station is somewhere close to design optimum for the task, although usually lacking things like adjustment for the checker's height and arm mobility. An SCO station looks like something a kid would build from a brief oral description of a checkout station, without ever having seen one, being allowed to experiment or given quite enough Legos to do the job.

For one simple thing... checkers do not have to find some place to put the scanned item. The only place I've ever encountered that didn't have a large, long "out box" is Walmart Groceries, where by some unaccountable line of thinking checkers have to put each scanned item in a bag, which is far slower than an "out tray" and a separate bagging step. But SCO stations follow the latter idea, and rarely have as much as a tiny lip anything can be set down on past the scanner.

Certainly experience and some training makes checkers faster. But SCO is limited by a design that took nothing from checkout lines of the 1950s, much less anything later.

Quote:
Ultimately we will go to a system of autodetection and autopay.
Another blow to consumers and the real goal, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2020, 02:37 PM
 
1,803 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Reputation: 3554
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
It's only practical for a few items. If you have even a modest number of items, good cashier is usually much faster, even if you have to wait in line for a couple of people.

There are two reasons - first, the ergonomics and the design of the workstation. Second, a cashier does this all day every day and becomes very skilled at rapidly processing groceries.

Ultimately we will go to a system of autodetection and autopay.
Yep. Even referenced in a 2016 Planet Money story about Howard Schneider, the Canadian doctor who invented the first SCO in 1992:

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...-self-checkout
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2020, 02:51 PM
 
2,131 posts, read 575,084 times
Reputation: 3429
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Yep. Even referenced in a 2016 Planet Money story
By the time mainstream media notices these things, they are as obvious as an oncoming train and old news to anyone who's been paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2020, 02:58 PM
 
4,583 posts, read 3,931,729 times
Reputation: 10968
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
It's only practical for a few items. If you have even a modest number of items, good cashier is usually much faster, even if you have to wait in line for a couple of people.

There are two reasons - first, the ergonomics and the design of the workstation. Second, a cashier does this all day every day and becomes very skilled at rapidly processing groceries.

Ultimately we will go to a system of autodetection and autopay.
Smart carts are coming.

Place an item in the cart (into shopping bag). It is detected and the price is added to a running total which is displayed prominently.

When you're done, press a button and you are charged for it. Then you just roll the cart out to the car.

Or rather, the cart follows you out to the car.

I suppose it will put some baggers & checkers out of work, but on the other hand, there will always need to be some human supervision, and of course someone has to make and repair the carts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2020, 03:20 PM
 
8,002 posts, read 4,497,663 times
Reputation: 21545
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Self checkout just doesn't scale up well at all which I think is the point going over many readers' heads.
A few items and self checkout is great.
A full cart with a lot of groceries takes much longer to scan, pay, and bag than a long ramp, cashier quickly scanning, and a bagger.
To me this is the big thing. Works great with a few items, but not a cart full. Or at least the set ups in the stores around here. They're designed for rapid checkout of a small quantities, not lines of people with full loads. The space just isn't there. Local Walmart basically took the space of two full service counters and put in eight of the self checkout. The little shelf holds just a couple of bags but try to move one to the cart the the Gestapo computer voice comes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top