U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 03:24 PM

305 posts, read 106,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Not true where I live. My local Fry's (Kroger-owned grocery store) has people all the time who roll up with a full cart of groceries. Take 20 minutes at the self-checkout. Our stores do not have limits and people wouldn't care anyway. They just stack bags on top of each other or use the "skip bagging" option and put bagged stuff directly back in the cart. It's a cluster-f.
Same here. I see shoppers with full carts at self checkout. When I go, self checkout is relatively busy sometimes with a line social distancing. When my kids were at home and we did shopping together, they insisted on self checkout. So I am thinking that most of the negative comments come from older folks who still like a dated system.

I prefer it in grocery stores and also use it at Target and Home Depot.

When I was in Sydney and Auckland last December, I used the self checkout at Woolworth and Countdown. They were not only busy but also had more stations that my local grocery stores.

Last edited by Rastafellow; 06-23-2020 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: add text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 05:47 AM

63,686 posts, read 60,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I HATTTTE self checkouts.

I don't work there. I AM NOT scanning and bagging $250 worth of groceries!
Unless your shopping consists of not much more than a few cuts of very expensive meat, there is no way a $250 order will be within the item limit for self-checkout anyway.

ETA: Since I posted the above, I read posts saying that some stores don't have limits on SCO. I was kind of shocked that at least one line in my supermarket's SCO area says 20 items or less. The others are 10, I think.

Maybe that's why I don't mind them even though I agree the design is awkward. I rarely buy as many as 20 items in one trip. I just get what I need for a few days at a time.

I realize that doesn't work for people with families.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-26-2020 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-24-2020, 09:33 AM

2,335 posts, read 662,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
ETA: Since I posted the above, I read posts saying that some stores don't have limits on SCO. I was kind of shocked that at least one line in my supermarket's SCO area says 20 items or less. The others are 10, I think.

Maybe that's why I don't mind them even though I agree the design is awkward. I rarely buy as many as 20 items in one trip. I just get what I need for a few days at a time.

You've hit on at least two things that create confusion on the topic and in this thread.

SCO was designed (and in nearly all cases, is built/implemented) to replace quick checkout, with few items and aimed more at basket shoppers than cart shoppers. The praise and "what's the problem" feedback tends to come from these light, focused shoppers.

We are now being pushed into doing ALL checkout of ALL scale using SCO... and the stations are simply not designed for a large cart of items. Neither are the systems, which often have functional issues when the item count gets higher.

SCO implementation varies. What one person praises or another excoriates may not exist anywhere but their regular store or region.

And in at least two US regions, I don't remember ever seeing an item count on SCO. It's been a long, long time since I saw them designated as 10-items or express or anything.

It's an already-crappy system, implemented with half-azzed equipment, designed for quick, light use, and now being rammed down shopper throats whether it works properly (for large carts, all users, in all situations) or not.

It's a fixable problem. But the grocery stores ran like hell to paint themselves into a corner with it, and the usual crowd saying it's the fault of stupid/luddite/old/inept shoppers is the usual horse 'ockies.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,683 posts, read 43,412,936 times
the new Home Depot 'Self Checkout ' kiosk wins The Absymal Ergonomics of Self Checkout

What do you buy at Home Depot? usually large bulky stuff.
  1. No scan bed!!!! MUST use reader gun (VERY BAD for COVID)
  2. Very tough to scan some items with one hand
  3. Takes a LOT more time to use gun when customer ahead of you had a cart full of 300 plumbing fittings
  4. NO SPACE!!! there is no counter for incoming or outgoing goods, no place to set completed bags
  5. 4 stations in the space of 2 checkouts (no room for carts, people and STUFF)
  6. I wish I had a picture... in our TIGHT HD self checkout in Texas, they just ziptied USA Flags for sale in our very tight checkout (Texas Strong! (5000 new covid cases yesterday)..., Texas strong(?), how about Texas SMART!

Home Depot SC is terrible... please go back to 24 hrs, as I have employees and jobs waiting during daylight hours.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:32 PM

63,686 posts, read 60,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
You've hit on at least two things that create confusion on the topic and in this thread.

SCO was designed (and in nearly all cases, is built/implemented) to replace quick checkout, with few items and aimed more at basket shoppers than cart shoppers. The praise and "what's the problem" feedback tends to come from these light, focused shoppers.
I fit that description, and that's what I have always understood SCO to be--NOT for the full-cart shoppers.

Quote:
We are now being pushed into doing ALL checkout of ALL scale using SCO... and the stations are simply not designed for a large cart of items. Neither are the systems, which often have functional issues when the item count gets higher.

SCO implementation varies. What one person praises or another excoriates may not exist anywhere but their regular store or region.

And in at least two US regions, I don't remember ever seeing an item count on SCO. It's been a long, long time since I saw them designated as 10-items or express or anything.
OK, as stated, I was surprised to see that one line of SCOs (two registers) were for 20 or less, the others all for 10 or less. Just for informational purposes, I've only been shopping in one region of the US for years, and this supermarket is less than two years old.

Quote:
It's an already-crappy system, implemented with half-azzed equipment, designed for quick, light use, and now being rammed down shopper throats whether it works properly (for large carts, all users, in all situations) or not.

It's a fixable problem. But the grocery stores ran like hell to paint themselves into a corner with it, and the usual crowd saying it's the fault of stupid/luddite/old/inept shoppers is the usual horse 'ockies.
Not sure I agree with your claim that we are being pushed into doing ALL checkout of ALL scale using SCO, but that may be a regional thing for you. Here, every supermarket has them, but they are still far, far, outnumbered by registers with cashiers. One factor may be that most of our supermarket staff are unionized. I don't know if that's true in other parts of the country.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:46 PM

9,024 posts, read 5,472,248 times
I shop frequently, go to a number of different stores, and buy a relatively small number of items at one time. I'm not ever the person you see with a brimful cart. For this reason, I like self-checkout. I agree with everyone who has said that if you have only a few items, it's very efficient. I would not want to use it if I were buying dozens of things at once.

However, of all the stores I go to, only Target and Wal-Mart have self-checkout, and I don't normally buy groceries at either place! My Ralphs (Kroger) only has cashier checkout, although another Ralphs only about three miles away has SCO. Trader Joe's doesn't have it, Sprouts doesn't, and the little Middle Eastern market certainly does not. So I don't use SCO on a regular basis, even though I like it.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:09 PM

4,704 posts, read 3,982,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
the new Home Depot 'Self Checkout ' kiosk wins The Absymal Ergonomics of Self Checkout

What do you buy at Home Depot? usually large bulky stuff.
  1. No scan bed!!!! MUST use reader gun (VERY BAD for COVID)
  2. Very tough to scan some items with one hand
  3. Takes a LOT more time to use gun when customer ahead of you had a cart full of 300 plumbing fittings
  4. NO SPACE!!! there is no counter for incoming or outgoing goods, no place to set completed bags
  5. 4 stations in the space of 2 checkouts (no room for carts, people and STUFF)
  6. I wish I had a picture... in our TIGHT HD self checkout in Texas, they just ziptied USA Flags for sale in our very tight checkout (Texas Strong! (5000 new covid cases yesterday)..., Texas strong(?), how about Texas SMART!

Home Depot SC is terrible... please go back to 24 hrs, as I have employees and jobs waiting during daylight hours.
I was just at HD this morning. Really not seeing the problem. I grab the gun, zap zap zap! and it's done. There's hand sanitizer at each station.

Get in line for a human if you don't like the selfie.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:55 AM

5,782 posts, read 2,202,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I was just at HD this morning. Really not seeing the problem. I grab the gun, zap zap zap! and it's done. There's hand sanitizer at each station.

Get in line for a human if you don't like the selfie.
Home Deport self scan usually works OK for me, but it gets awkward for large items, like lumber. Not as concerned about the scan gun as I was in the beginning for spreading COVID as recent research show that the virus does not easily transmit on surfaces, it is nearly always spread by airborne droplets. FAR more worried about those that choose not to wear masks than the scan gun.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:25 AM

5,977 posts, read 2,640,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Unless your shopping consists of not much more than a few cuts of very expensive meat, there is no way a $250 order will be within the item limit for self-checkout anyway.

My area doesn’t put a limit and usually Walmart will have like 3 cash registers open with huge lines and the self checkout where everyone else goes because the registers have such gigantic lines. I went to one at about 10pm one time with a friend after he got into town and we needed sunblock and maybe a couple of other items for his breakfast and it was just insane. It took us forever because people had big carts even in the self checkout. I think we ended up in a staffed lane anyway with the way they had it set up (it was bizarre) because they had two very friendly women doing the staffed lane while overseeing the self checkout and I remember chatting with them. At least here, most people in the staffed lanes are quite friendly, but I am in the Midwest. There are some I can see getting exasperated with customers, but it is usually more a customer issue in the cashier lane than the cashiers who are the issue.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-26-2020 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: Fixed my own typo in quote

Old 06-25-2020, 06:20 AM

2,688 posts, read 836,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I like self checkouts because I can breeze through them. Unless one has a disability or they are old, I don't understand why you think self check-out is complex. I think some people though are just resistance to change.
Same here.

Unless I have a lot of unscannables (such as produce) it is much faster for me to do it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I find today I work for everyone from the airlines to the supermarkets....I do the job functions their employees got paid to do
I'd rather spend two minutes checking myself out that five minutes standing there watching someone do it for me.

I'd also rather carry my own groceries out to my vehicle, pump my own gas, and I'll carry my own suitcase up to my hotel room, thank you very much. I don't need to stand idly when someone else does these things, like the master of the estate waiting for Jeeves to open the door for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics