U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM

5,254 posts, read 2,971,658 times

Advertisements

The biggest issue with eliminating nickels and quarters and introducing a different size coin for a fifty cent piece is the economic cost to reconfigure millions of vending machines. Yes many of them utilize card readers but they still need to be able to accept coinage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM

5,249 posts, read 7,284,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Canada eliminated the penny years ago and it has worked out fine.
I wish they would get rid of nickels too, I always end up with a canadian one and the machine at work doesnt take them lol

Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM

10,487 posts, read 9,458,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The biggest issue with eliminating nickels and quarters and introducing a different size coin for a fifty cent piece is the economic cost to reconfigure millions of vending machines. Yes many of them utilize card readers but they still need to be able to accept coinage.
Fairly easily dealt with though.

Develop the coins and provide the size, weight and diameter to the vending industry a year or so before you start production of the coins. Then, keep minting current coinage for another year. Existing coins will circulate for another year beyond that.

Vending machines then have a three year window to be updated. This happens all the time, and some portion of machines will naturally be updated over the course of time.

If that isn’t enough, give machine owners a tax credit if some amount for each machine they have to partially offset costs.

Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM

6,346 posts, read 3,612,483 times
Of all the issues we are facing a coin shortage is near the bottom in terms of importance.

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

5,134 posts, read 2,253,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Of all the issues we are facing a coin shortage is near the bottom in terms of importance.
True, but sometimes we need a break.

The Sacagawea dollars went down to Ecuador where they are preferred to paper money. The money there gets really worn out.

It's been interesting to me stuck here in Europe that they have one and two dollar coins. Since you can't tip on a credit card, we use them for that. I thought they had eliminated pennies and nickles but I guess not, oddly. We've never used them.

In the US I never used coins except I kept quarters in the car for the car wash.

I agree, the pennies and nickels are passe.

Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

2,274 posts, read 2,217,684 times
cents aside, there is talk of eliminating the $100 bill so money trafficking, laundering, and drug transactions will be physically larger with $50's

Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM

652 posts, read 215,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
sounds like a problem for the owners of vending machines rather than something the us govt should be wasting money on

this isn't remotely a real issue

Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM

652 posts, read 215,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
cents aside, there is talk of eliminating the $100 bill so money trafficking, laundering, and drug transactions will be physically larger with $50's
which is absolutely moronic.
we used to have much bigger bills than 100 and that's not adjusting for inflation.

the war on drugs is a complete sham and waste of tax payer money.

Old Today, 07:44 PM

2,261 posts, read 3,720,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

They need to make the dollar coin distinct from the quarter, which hadn’t been done. Look at the UK pound, the EU euro, or the Canadian dollar (loony). All can be distinguished from other coins by sight or touch.

Not to stray too far off topic but just to let you know, the Sacagawea and Presidential dollar coins are gold colored and nothing like quarters. They have been in circulation for two decades now, often found in transit vending machines but also available at times in banks and occasionally as change. I've spent dollar coins in at least ten different states now and almost all the time they are accepted by cashiers with no questions.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or