Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 08:11 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
They are stupid for not returning. I'd rather have a job now than take a gamble on looking after everyone else is also back in the market.

That's competitive advice that might affect who gets a job but not how many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 09:58 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,080,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
They are stupid for not returning. I'd rather have a job now than take a gamble on looking after everyone else is also back in the market.
You hit the nail on the head. As soon as that extra $600/week is gone, there's gonna be a lot more competition on the job market (and suddenly much less support for more shutdowns). Sadly, many people are very short-sighted.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:07 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,507 times
I think a moral here is unemployment payments are too low nationwide.

Resume work for those who can, and increase employee/employer contributions towards unemployment for future need.

At this current place we almost need an emergency tax like Medicare or Social Security where incomes are taxed to pay for unemployment since so many are out of work.

If that's unpopular- cut it off.

Can't really have it both ways. The money needs to come from somewhere.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Will a back to work bonus get those getting used to that extra $600 a week bonus off of the government dole along with help getting the economy back?

https://www.ibtimes.com/stimulus-che...ferent-3001701
Wanna know what else will get people back to work? Not getting any sort of bonus or unemployment. I bet people will run back begging for their job that wasn’t good enough last week.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:04 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Wanna know what else will get people back to work? Not getting any sort of bonus or unemployment. I bet people will run back begging for their job that wasn’t good enough last week.

That won't get any more people back to work. Jobs don't appear because people beg for them and nobody is shut down right now because they can't get employees. It'll just mean employers have 20 people lined up for a job instead of 5.

Old 06-29-2020, 03:19 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,282,960 times
As mentioned in other threads on this forum, this will be a long jobless recovery. Just about every industry is pivoting to stay afloat, and if possible, exploring other income streams. Where I work, we are having people work offsite again as cases continue to increase in our county.

If anyone ask, I tell them to keep their job if possible, if you enjoy it even just a little bit. Because come August, there's going to be a lot of competition for a job.

Back during the Great Recession, I had a buddy who was a credit analyst was laid off from his job at a local bank. He was unemployed for nearly a year before getting another job. He ended up having to relocate from Fayetteville, AR to Fayetteville, NC in order to gain employment working for a bank. It turned out being the best thing that ever happened to him, but at the time, that year of unemployment was stressful for him.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:07 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Its going to be extended but for less per month. Nobody knows how much yet, consensus is appearing around 300 to 400 a week. The idea is floating around that they will also pay it to people who go back to work, so they will in effect collect a "bonus" for getting back to work. I could be wrong but the June jobs report would have to be pretty good to kill off the UI bonus because it is very effective at recovering the economy.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:01 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Granted it's been forty years almost since I collected Unemployment but if someone back then refused to return to work when called two things happened-you got fired and your Unemployment ceased.
And you had to walk to work in the snow, barefooted, uphill both directions!
The good ole days!

Old 06-29-2020, 11:07 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,826,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Not many will argue that when people lose UI, they will try to find a job. Wouldn't you?

Old 06-29-2020, 11:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Its going to be extended but for less per month. Nobody knows how much yet, consensus is appearing around 300 to 400 a week. The idea is floating around that they will also pay it to people who go back to work, so they will in effect collect a "bonus" for getting back to work. I could be wrong but the June jobs report would have to be pretty good to kill off the UI bonus because it is very effective at recovering the economy.
That or the surges sustaining. I think that the June jobs report is gonna be better, but the fact remains that in a number of states (California, Texas, Arizona, Florida) they are going back on some restrictions which will end up hurting the economy, even if these measures are well needed. Other states are on this path too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics