Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 09:15 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
money markets are already being propped up by the fund families or they would be below zero ...

t-bill etf's BIL are negative ... others like shv are around zero

on the other hand if you merely hung out in tlt the last month instead you would be up 2.55% .

the last week was up 1.09% , ytd up 24% and 1 year up 30% .

so that would buy way more assets when they get discounted if you think opportunity is coming . .

let this sink in ... how much extra would you need to gain going to cash and then executing a good timing to buy back in to equal that 24% ytd return you did not get just by staying invested and doing nothing , simply letting the long term treasuries just do their thing .

the answer is more was likely given up by the move to cash then likely gained going through the whole gyration .
Rates heading south is your key.

In my case I had an s-load of cash dumped in my lap just as I thought we'd soon be seeing a huge stock market crash from covid. The drop was way less then I expected. And then there's the house we are helping my kids buy.

I might just go ahead and take your advice. Probably paying better than the 0.5% I'm getting from my bank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 09:38 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The total US debt- public and private, is now almost $80T. The total US GDP is almost $20T. That's $4 of debt for every $1 of GDP. We will require an ever increasing amount of debt for GDP growth. This is because we are getting increasingly closer to the limits of growth.

Many people think erroneously that "debt doesn't matter." This is among the highest orders of financial unreality. The fact is that, at some point in the relatively near future all this unsustainable debt will implode the entire financial system. This will lead to great pain and suffering, but it will be our 'punishment' for building up this multi-generational, global debt based pyramid scheme.

Just as infinite growth is impossible in a finite realm, so is infinite debt expansion. A global debt and currency collapse is the only way this can end. This is horrible news for anyone holding any paper or digital asset.

People who keep screaming about the US debt NEVER remember to tally in the Fed's assets which are roughly 250 TRILLION $$$'s.

The financial position of the United States includes assets of at least $269.6 trillion (1576% of GDP) and debts of $145.8 trillion (852% of GDP) to produce a net worth of at least $123.8 trillion (723% of GDP) as of Q1 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financ..._United_States

Old 07-19-2020, 01:29 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
We will always attempt to inflate away debt, a nice tax on the savers. But one of these days, we won't be able to. The attempt to inflate will result in hyperinflation and financial collapse. The Federal government is always able to keep all those plates spinning up in the air WAY longer than I think they should all come crashing down.

It's magic, I tell ya'!

I won't even begin to guess when that will come. The debt is not at insane levels quite yet, but we are racing to it. The national debt was $5 trillion in 2000.

So from $5 trillion in 2000 to $26 trillion in 2020. I don't know how many $10 trillion decades of debt we can absorb and not experience financial collapse. this projects to $56 trillion in 2050 or roughly 250% of GDP.

And we don't even know the impact of Covid 19 on federal tax coffers. In October when businesses have to pay their federal taxes, how many are going to just declare bankruptcy instead. Uncle Sugar could see a huge decline in collections from projections. Add that to the current $26 trillion national debt upon everthing else.

We are so screwed.
Love people like you. Doomsday’s ranters. As soon as you say something concrete, it shows you’re clueless about the real world.

Most businesses are required to pay estimated quarterly payments. And businesses that extended their tax filing to October, get an extension of time to file, not time to pay. Last year, has already been mostly paid. Granted, this year payments were allowed to be delayed with covid relief, but even those are would have q123 due by September.

“All these businesses just aren’t going to pay in October and file bankruptcy instead”

Yeah ok. They were due in March and in quarterly installments before then.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:00 PM

106,644 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
We will always attempt to inflate away debt, a nice tax on the savers. But one of these days, we won't be able to. The attempt to inflate will result in hyperinflation and financial collapse. The Federal government is always able to keep all those plates spinning up in the air WAY longer than I think they should all come crashing down.

It's magic, I tell ya'!

I won't even begin to guess when that will come. The debt is not at insane levels quite yet, but we are racing to it. The national debt was $5 trillion in 2000.

So from $5 trillion in 2000 to $26 trillion in 2020. I don't know how many $10 trillion decades of debt we can absorb and not experience financial collapse. this projects to $56 trillion in 2050 or roughly 250% of GDP.

And we don't even know the impact of Covid 19 on federal tax coffers. In October when businesses have to pay their federal taxes, how many are going to just declare bankruptcy instead. Uncle Sugar could see a huge decline in collections from projections. Add that to the current $26 trillion national debt upon everthing else.

We are so screwed.
Yep another sky is falling ranter

Old 07-19-2020, 02:15 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Yep another sky is falling ranter
Not surprising as most still think that the only way forward is more taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics