U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:03 AM

106 posts, read 482,751 times

Advertisements

GEEZ,
THESE GAS PRICES ARE REDICULOUS JUST FILLED UP MY LITTLE SATURN AND IT COST $ 33.00 -- WILL IT NEVER END--THESE OIL COMPANIES HAVE BEEN MAKING BILLIONS OFF OF US. JUST TICKS ME OFF!!!!
TYPICALLY EVERY SPRING THEY RAISE THE GAS PRICES GUESS I'LL HAVE TO LOOK INTO THOSE HYBRIDS.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-29-2008, 06:05 AM

75 posts, read 319,842 times
Honestly, we have no one to blame but ourselves for the gas prices. You have to realize that oil companies aren't just raising prices to make more money--the prices are increasing because there is an increased demand for oil. China and India are becoming fully industrialized countries, and in order to get there, you need ENERGY. And a lot of it.

We Americans can cry about the price of oil all day long. It's not going to change anything. Trust me--any DIRECT measure (reduce taxes, cap price, etc.) that the government might take to reduce the cost of gas may work for a short time, but for a short time only. Until we have a new, cheap, and sustainable form of energy, we may have to change our lifestyles a bit.

On the bright side, Rochester might actually see some growth from the price of gas. People might begin to move downtown in larger numbers to be closer to work, and people might move from other areas to Rochester because of our short commute.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbertol2 View Post
Honestly, we have no one to blame but ourselves for the gas prices. You have to realize that oil companies aren't just raising prices to make more money--the prices are increasing because there is an increased demand for oil. China and India are becoming fully industrialized countries, and in order to get there, you need ENERGY. And a lot of it.

We Americans can cry about the price of oil all day long. It's not going to change anything. Trust me--any DIRECT measure (reduce taxes, cap price, etc.) that the government might take to reduce the cost of gas may work for a short time, but for a short time only. Until we have a new, cheap, and sustainable form of energy, we may have to change our lifestyles a bit.

On the bright side, Rochester might actually see some growth from the price of gas. People might begin to move downtown in larger numbers to be closer to work, and people might move from other areas to Rochester because of our short commute.
we are at the mercy of the big oil companies--when you say that they are not in it to make money then i have to disagree--a 40 million dollar profit in my book is goooood business --at our expense! it comes full circle to the auto makers whom have the resources to make fuel efficient vehicles for consumers at affordable prices. i still feel that people will still drive no matter how high the prices go--you have to go to work!!! as far as moving downtown--nah--i wouldn't even consider --guess ill have to just complain to make myself feel better

Old 04-29-2008, 04:19 PM

75 posts, read 319,842 times
I didn't say that they're not in it to make money. Of course they are, they're a business, and that's what businesses are for. I said that the primary cause of the increased prices is the increased demand.

And yeah, I know, it sucks. I'll be commuting to work over the summer. But fortunately I'll be carpooling with one or two others, so it won't be as bad.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that they're not in it to make money. Of course they are, they're a business, and that's what businesses are for. I said that the primary cause of the increased prices is the increased demand.

And yeah, I know, it sucks. I'll be commuting to work over the summer. But fortunately I'll be carpooling with one or two others, so it won't be as bad.
i'd like to see the "air car" that is being sold in india be available here in the usa--quite efficent little car and it looks great!

Old 04-29-2008, 06:54 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,948,547 times
I just ride my bike more places. To friends house, the public market, etc. Work gives me a gas card for work related travel. I really only use my car for road trips and supermarket trips.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:25 PM

134 posts, read 486,321 times
I continually find complaints about the price of gas amusing....

I ride a motorcycle when the roads are not snow or ice covered and get great gas mileage. I also can speed away faster than many vehicles I share the road wit (I don't but I can)..... That said, the price of gas doesn't seem to stop my road mates from racing me to the next stop light. These are almost always large SUV's,trucks, awd cross-overs, vans.... with large engines.

So.... what is the deal with a digital gas pedal??? (on or off only)
Is the skill to drive these vehicles with a lighter pressure on the gas pedal that elusive? OR.... is the price of gas not really that much of a problem yet?

Oh.... and damn those evil oil companies for making a profit and helping my retirement account to grow. All they ever think about is themselves.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:33 PM

44 posts, read 168,021 times
Moderator cut: webpage advertising is not allowed has some nice scooters of 150cc around 1000 bucks . I am thinking of ordering one but again only use will be in summer time but reportedly gives 70 miles a gallon ! we will see size of american cars shrink to match those of third world countries if gas prices continue to go up and without question it will or unless govn seriously tries to switch to hydrogen based economy.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 04-30-2008 at 10:42 PM..

Old 05-01-2008, 12:39 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,801,032 times
I say write your congressmen. Now is the time to start drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:03 PM

35 posts, read 103,911 times
Quote:
Honestly, we have no one to blame but ourselves for the gas prices. You have to realize...........................
Well said! Most of the blame lies on Americans and their gas guzzling lifestyle by having the highest demand in the world. Had people been driving much more fuel efficient cars, this might not have been such an issue.

Besides why should Americans deserve low gas prices when countries in the world pay as high as $9/gall. This is a silly notion considering that -
- crude oil is not America's natural resource, but belongs to somebody else.
- they can set whatever price they want because oil is traded on the global free market. Cartel...shartel whatever! Who cares for $$$$ thesedays. If you think crude is too expensive, chill, there will be other takers in the world who don't complain about spending $9/gall

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics