Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2020, 01:55 PM

106,663 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Like that CME trader quipped when Mr. Corzine’s MF Global went bust in 2011: You know that you own it when you can stand in front of it with a rifle. GLD is convenient until the SHTF, then it ceases to be much of a hedge against uncertainty.
So far it has been just fine ,even through an almost complete global financial collapse in 2008 .....odds are it is safer with them then your hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 02:06 PM

5,164 posts, read 3,086,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
So far it has been just fine ,even through an almost complete global financial collapse in 2008 .....odds are it is safer with them then your hands.
Did you read the Forbes article you linked above? HSBC makes Wells Fargo look like a Baptist picnic, and they are fronting GLD. HSBC is the Lady from Shanghai.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Did you read the Forbes article you linked above? HSBC makes Wells Fargo look like a Baptist picnic, and they are fronting GLD. HSBC is the Lady from Shanghai.
Yes I read it ....but the reality is there really has been no issues ...like everything else , you can take anything and blow it up bigger than life and it looks like things will implode ...in the end much ado about nuttin....one can use multiple etfs if they are nervous

Old 07-12-2020, 02:14 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I agree with you.I know a lot of goldbug friends and some dont even dont believe in the stock market.I agree with you.I dont get the appeal of gold either because no store or gas station is going to accept a gold coin.Also, if i really was preparing for the end of the world as we knew it.I would buy lots of guns,MREs, non-perishable food,water,land and ammo, fuel etc.

everyone in my church frind group thinks im a idiot for trusting index funds,stocks over gold.

Diversification I believe is the correct way to go. Some gold is ok. Perhaps 10% of your investments. If things really hit the fan gold will likely skyrocket and cover all your other losses. And since that scenario is very unlikely you will most likely make a little money on gold over time.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Diversification I believe is the correct way to go. Some gold is ok. Perhaps 10% of your investments. If things really hit the fan gold will likely skyrocket and cover all your other losses. And since that scenario is very unlikely you will most likely make a little money on gold over time.
There are actually optimum levels of gold based on studies on allocation ,for best results , not pulling percentages out of our butts

https://proactiveadvisormagazine.com...ation-to-gold/

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-12-2020 at 02:25 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 02:19 PM

263 posts, read 115,713 times
Quote:

GLD has had no problems to date which stands to reason it probably never will. It has been our personal ATM machine for years now.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Market Maven View Post
GLD has had no problems to date which stands to reason it probably never will. It has been our personal ATM machine for years now.
Nothing is ever a problem —- until it’s a problem

Old 07-12-2020, 02:30 PM

263 posts, read 115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Nothing is ever a problem —- until it’s a problem
Problems are only problems when one elects not to rebalance accordingly. The key here is an iron tight portfolio. If problems arise then it is time to rebalance.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Market Maven View Post
Problems are only problems when one elects not to rebalance accordingly. The key here is an iron tight portfolio. If problems arise then it is time to rebalance.
If the custodian messes up or does not carry enough insurance and the gold is stolen or missing they are the ones who have to make good ...so rebalancing has nothing to do with the custodian or the sub custodians they can farm out to , if the custodian or sub custodians fail to be able to make good on issues that arise you lose your money.

I suggest you watch the video I posted above because apparently you have no clue how important a role the custodian plays

Old 07-12-2020, 03:13 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Like that CME trader quipped when Mr. Corzine’s MF Global went bust in 2011: You know that you own it when you can stand in front of it with a rifle. GLD is convenient until the SHTF, then it ceases to be much of a hedge against uncertainty.

CME was on top of that like white on rice. I forget now, but they only got to trade naked for a day before they were shut down. CME plunged on the event, and it was such a stupid fall that I moved over half of my investments in CME on that move. Sadly, before they were cleared I had an anxious home buy that needed funding, but it still made money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics