Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 07:29 AM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
not everyone shop on internet,wait till shipping cost goes up and return is not free.

With Amazon prime both are free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 08:30 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Example of Internet shopping. My son and I are buying a 10 foot by 20 foot home greenhouse. It is strong enough to handle high winds which most will not. Instead of light flexible panels for the covering, it is honey comb 3.9 inch panels, for strength and helping control temperature.

Cost at local big box store, $7,800. Direct from same factory including shipping $2,000 throgh Alibaba which is the Amazon of the orient same unit. Internet shopping is world wide, not just in the USA. Internet shopping is big business, though as some point out some people work out of their home, but they often pay way more than the big Internet merchants and BandM pay, leaving them little profit.

As I said earlier, we order ALL our groceries from Walmart on line, for store pickup. We have computed savings over buying in town, over 30 miles away to be $200 per month plus. We order on Monday as does our housekeeper, and she goes 30 miles to pick them up twice a month on Tuesday. Drives up, gives them our names on the phone, keeps the windows up, and they place them in her vehicle. No need for masks, no exposure, no walking all over the store, no checkout line. And the housekeeper finds with a young family of 4 she saves a lot more than we do. I want to pay for the gas, but she won't let me as she says since I taught her this way to buy groceries, it is my payback for saving her so much money.

I have not been in a BandM store for 5 plus years.

With the pandemic lockdown, it makes sense for people to buy on line, rather than take a risk and go to small Brick and Mortar stores. Especially once they get used to the convenience, money savings, and not being exposed to the public.
Throughout history of this country, business model and products, have evolved and today it is a far cry from what it was like even 50 years ago.

Taxing my Internet purchases to try and keep a dying BandM store in business is not acceptable.
Few weeks ago I had an eye exam for bifocals at Pearle Vision. I don’t have vision insurance, but I was going to buy glasses there anyway. I picked one of the cheaper frames they had, which was $129 and just clear plastic. The guy told me he would give me a 30% discount since I didn’t have insurance. I said no to every extra he offered me, special coatings transition lenses etc. Even with a 30% discount and me saying no to all the extras, the grand total was going to be $495.

I said forget it, I can’t afford that. And then I went home got on Zenni, uploaded a picture so I could try on frames. Picked a beautiful pair of frames with cut outs in the sides which were about $25. Entered my prescription, and said yes to every extra they offered me including transition lenses. Grand total was $103. I got them a few days ago, very sturdy feeling and well made and prescription was perfect.

I am one who tries to support local businesses when I can, however the difference in price was just too much. It was much more than 3%, so having an extra tax would not have dissuaded me in the slightest. Even a 50% extra tax would’ve still been much cheaper than the glasses at Pearle vision.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
No. As a consumer you are presented a bill from the seller. They have to pay the tax whether or not they collect it from you. Most add the tax to the total.

https://www.avalara.com/us/en/blog/2...r-use-tax.html

Understanding when (and where) sales tax is collected

Sales tax (aka retail sales tax) is a transaction tax imposed by states and thousands of local jurisdictions on the sale of a product or service from a seller to a consumer. Since it would be costly and awkward for states to station a tax collector in every shop, the task of collecting sales tax falls on the businesses that make the sales.

If a business does not collect sales tax as required by law, state and local tax authorities could hold it liable for the uncollected back taxes. This can add up.
It’s not the case though. You’re supposed to declare it on your income taxes. As I’ve said a couple of times already, my nephew got a $700 bill from the state of New Jersey after a couple of years of buying cigarettes over the Internet. Governor made them turn over their list of New Jersey customers and they all got tax bills.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:46 PM

2,746 posts, read 1,780,424 times
Quote:
No. As a consumer you are presented a bill from the seller. They have to pay the tax whether or not they collect it from you. Most add the tax to the total.

Sales tax (aka retail sales tax) is a transaction tax imposed by states and thousands of local jurisdictions on the sale of a product or service from a seller to a consumer. Since it would be costly and awkward for states to station a tax collector in every shop, the task of collecting sales tax falls on the businesses that make the sales.

If a business does not collect sales tax as required by law, state and local tax authorities could hold it liable for the uncollected back taxes. This can add up.
That is only true if the seller has nexus with the state which requires them to collect that state's sales tax.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:07 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,385 times
Quote:

Again, if you are not charged sales/use tax during the transaction, you are responsible for paying it to the state directly. This is true for all US states that have such a tax. It is your responsibility to pay the tax you owe if the retailer does not do their part.

This is not well understood by those of you from outside of the US, but it is generally handled the same in all states.

Here's the actual text from one of our states: https://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/Cha...0Use%20Tax.pdf

Old 07-17-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
Again, if you are not charged sales/use tax during the transaction, you are responsible for paying it to the state directly. This is true for all US states that have such a tax. It is your responsibility to pay the tax you owe if the retailer does not do their part.

This is not well understood by those of you from outside of the US, but it is generally handled the same in all states.

Here's the actual text from one of our states: https://www.ok.gov/tax/documents/Cha...0Use%20Tax.pdf
The same is true when you go to a lower tax or non-tax state for a large purchase. If I go to Delaware and buy a new television, I’m supposed to declare that on my New Jersey taxes.

https://nj1015.com/nj-residents-who-...ng-tax-cheats/

“If your holiday travels take you beyond New Jersey's borders, you may be tempted to do some shopping in states where the sales tax is either lower than the rate in New Jersey, or in states like Delaware on New Hampshire where there is zero sales tax on items purchased.
But did you know you still owe the tax on that item at New Jersey's rate? And if you don't claim these purchases, you're subject to fines and penalties.”

Read More: Did you know? Out-of-state sales still subject to NJ tax | https://nj1015.com/nj-residents-who-...edium=referral
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics