U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 03:01 PM

3,370 posts, read 3,441,693 times

Advertisements

A bit of a ramble here...

My mom and I go to Miami/South Beach every Thanksgiving. Although it's still over 4 months away I'm starting to wonder if I should officially go ahead and toss that idea out the window. I'd hate to cancel that annual trip as I feel like I'll seriously be needing some beach time by then (I 'need' it already) but between the risk of flying (not willing to do) and so many questions surrounding how much will or won't be open around that time (we are foodies so I'm thinking everything would have to be take out), I'm thinking I could already be at the point where it officially makes sense to call it a 'no go'. Thoughts...?

I think it's just starting to hit me how much I miss not having a trip planned somewhere. I am so grateful to still have my job, to be relatively healthy and living a good life really so I feel bad complaining. It's just that I do tend to suffer from the big D word and the past several years the only thing that's interested me/lifted that a bit are the trips I've taken and planning them. Clearly I need something to do outside of working (that was the case before all of the COVID stuff) but now I need it more than ever. Or at least a different way of looking at thing. Anyways, if anyone here is living with the blues from not traveling, what are you doing to overcome it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 03:04 PM

58,462 posts, read 4,334,826 times
We had to cancel our trip to Ireland, this past May, to a family wedding, I am upset, but trying to focus on the rescheduled date (2022). And hoping things will be normal by then. I am also contemplating an overnight trip somewhere more local, but no decisions yet.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:13 PM

3,370 posts, read 3,441,693 times
Oops...meant to post this in the Travel forum.

Mods - can you please move?

Old Yesterday, 05:38 AM

3,722 posts, read 1,525,937 times
I am definitely starting to feel the blues and this is part of it. I typically took two big trips every year and this year I WAS foolhardy enough to get on the plane March 9 for a trip to South America, including the Galapagos, but it was curtailed a week later and we had one heck of a time getting home from Bolivia. (Now that I DID get home without quarantine and I've got a large pile of IOUs from airlines and the tour company I don't regret venturing out. I loved Bolivia!)

Planned trip to hang out in Munich for a couple of weeks this fall and explore more of Europe? Nope. (I hadn't booked anything yet.) Something in June, 2021? Who knows? The cruise I'm planning off Belize and Guatemala in October, 2021? Fingers crossed.

Closer to home- Dad, age 89, had a stroke over Easter and is now in a nursing home in SC. No visitors, of course. I usually take a road trip this time of year and at Christmas so I can see Dad and my other siblings in the area, but why? I'll just be able to look at him through a dirty window and I might be exposing myself to all kinds of stuff on the overnight en route from KC.

The numbers were looking better in our area and now they're back up (this is % testing positive out of total tested, so it's not just an increase in testing). The uncertainty (and, I admit, my inability to control it) is getting to me.

This is a first world problem and I know it. It's still a major disruption and there's no end in sight.

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

3,172 posts, read 4,251,914 times
Yup, it should be moved to the Travel forum, but I will throw my two cents in.

I just turned sixty and was lucky enough to have parents who loved to travel. Not every year but every so often. Between those bigger ones were plenty of smaller ones on weekends. We would always set out exploring around our little state (RI) and neighboring ones. Lots to see. I think that molded me to the traveler I am today. My girlfriend who later became my wife was introduced to traveling the same way my parents did to me.

I think there is a certain percentage of us that feel the need to constantly travel. I am perfectly content in every day life but I enjoy planning and looking forward to our trips even at this age. It has been a big part of my life and we are so glad we did not wait until we retire to travel. There is so much to see just in the states.

A few years back after exploring much of the US we headed to Europe. This is the first year in forever that we did not take a trip in the US and one in Europe. We aren’t rich by any means but we budget and religiously search the web for deals.

This year I was able to visit friends in Richmond just weeks before we learned about COVID-19. The summer trip we budgeted to the Bay Area we cancelled. The trip back to RI to see family was canceled. The $180 RT tickets I scored on SW to visit family in LA in September cancelled and any hopes of a late fall trip to Europe is most likely not going to happen.

Life happens and health rules as the richest asset to have but traveling is in our souls and has been a big part of our lives. At least the memories and photographs are there to bring those smiles when we are feeling blue!

I hope everyone stays healthy, our state of Florida is not looking to good right now for us.

Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM

2,640 posts, read 974,932 times
We usually take 1 of 2 trips a year. We were supposed to go to visit Europe for a month in August. We are very disappointed.

Old Today, 09:34 AM

6,415 posts, read 5,909,500 times
I'm making up for it by camping 1 night per week for 4 weeks this summer. Different camp sites each time. All within 1h from home. We live in the Puget Sound and Mt. Rainier area.

We're not big campers, but going for a night is something we can look forward to without feeling like we have to have a perfectly detailed packing list.

Old Today, 05:22 PM

7,573 posts, read 3,684,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
We're not big campers, but going for a night is something we can look forward to without feeling like we have to have a perfectly detailed packing list.
I like camping a lot, but for only a couple days limited to how much supplies we can bring.

We had a couple friends who's idea of camping was a knife and a loincloth, but we were more the types trying to waddle 40 meters from our car with a giant cooler of beer. Bonus = lived in Arizona, which IMO is best state for camping in USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics