Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 01:49 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,510 times

Advertisements

One visit to Nike's website will show you image after image of athletic black models wearing their shoes. But with unemployment so high and so few blacks able to afford their expensive shoes that are all made in China and Vietnam how about making Nikes in the USA again? At least one out of three black males has one pair of Jordans. Whites and latinos too! I am on the streets of Brooklyn and Queens daily. Think how much cooler if they were made here by our own people that would put the money right back into our community's. Is corporate Nike too greedy? Do they just want to outsource everything to poor corners of Asia where they can take advantage of cheap labor? How about all the disenfranchised, unemployed people here at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 02:02 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,300,839 times
Quote:
How about all the disenfranchised, unemployed people here at home?
I seem to remember that certain elements in New York did not want 25,000 or so Amazon jobs in Queens, so what makes you think they'd want thousands of Nike jobs?

Old 07-09-2020, 02:09 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
One visit to Nike's website will show you image after image of athletic black models wearing their shoes. But with unemployment so high and so few blacks able to afford their expensive shoes that are all made in China and Vietnam how about making Nikes in the USA again? At least one out of three black males has one pair of Jordans. Whites and latinos too! I am on the streets of Brooklyn and Queens daily. Think how much cooler if they were made here by our own people that would put the money right back into our community's. Is corporate Nike too greedy? Do they just want to outsource everything to poor corners of Asia where they can take advantage of cheap labor? How about all the disenfranchised, unemployed people here at home?
Real simple answer: It is much cheaper to manufacture overseas and ship to the U.S. Manufacturing in the USA would cut into NIke's profits and result in higher priced shoes. They just don't manufacture in China and Vietnam. They also have have manufacturing plants in India, Thailand, Pakistan, Philippines, Malaysia, and others.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:11 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I seem to remember that certain elements in New York did not want 25,000 or so Amazon jobs in Queens, so what makes you think they'd want thousands of Nike jobs?
Because it wasn't going to help the locals; it would drive them out of their homes like they did in Seattle or everywhere the tech industry goes. That area they wanted to build the site is one of the few halfway affordable areas left in NYC.

If Amazon wanted to come to my community I would oppose them with every ounce of strength in my body.

I've lived in both Seattle and Austin, watched the tech industry price out the working and middle classes in both & create their enclaves. No thanks.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Because it wasn't going to help the locals; it would drive them out of their homes like they did in Seattle or everywhere the tech industry goes. That area they wanted to build the site is one of the few halfway affordable areas left in NYC.

If Amazon wanted to come to my community I would oppose them with every ounce of strength in my body.

I've lived in both Seattle and Austin, watched the tech industry price out the working and middle classes in both & create their enclaves. No thanks.
Exactly my point. This country needs to be replenished and put to work from the ground up. Not top down. The elitist and affluent primarily spend their money on exotic imports not American made. So f@$k them. I want to see are economy work for all not just the rich.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:35 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Nike worker in Vietnam gets 61 to 89 cents/hour.
Labor cost to produce pair of Nike is about $4. That's 5-7 hours of labor.
Let's pretend that everything stays the same, and US worker is as effective as Vietnam one. With the minimum wage set to $15/hour we are looking at at least $75 (instead of $4) just in labor.
Let's assume that materials are still China-made, and their cost stays at $17. So we are looking at ~$90 self-cost. Add brand operating costs ($25), now we are looking at $115 - cost at which retailer buys these sneakers from Nike. Retail upcharge is normally 100% (on some items it's 800%, but let's be modest here), so the price in store that you would see is $230.

So, China/Vietnam/India/wherever else/ made Nike sneakers are sold for $100 right now. USA-made will cost $230. Are you ready to buy at that price? Remember - your personal income is not going up.

Then take into account that after Nike moves production to USA, it will no longer be competitive with other brands in other countries. So, loss of markets will lead to even higher costs (in overhead costs and even materials cost), so end price will be closer to $300.

Net result? Nike lost foreign markets, employs less number of higher-paid Americans here (since they don't need that many people in the offices because market shrunk), employs quite a few of Americans at a minimum wage, and you pay 3 times more than now.

Good picture, isn't it?

Old 07-09-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Nike worker in Vietnam gets 61 to 89 cents/hour.
Labor cost to produce pair of Nike is about $4. That's 5-7 hours of labor.
Let's pretend that everything stays the same, and US worker is as effective as Vietnam one. With the minimum wage set to $15/hour we are looking at at least $75 (instead of $4) just in labor.
Let's assume that materials are still China-made, and their cost stays at $17. So we are looking at ~$90 self-cost. Add brand operating costs ($25), now we are looking at $115 - cost at which retailer buys these sneakers from Nike. Retail upcharge is normally 100% (on some items it's 800%, but let's be modest here), so the price in store that you would see is $230.

So, China/Vietnam/India/wherever else/ made Nike sneakers are sold for $100 right now. USA-made will cost $230. Are you ready to buy at that price? Remember - your personal income is not going up.

Then take into account that after Nike moves production to USA, it will no longer be competitive with other brands in other countries. So, loss of markets will lead to even higher costs (in overhead costs and even materials cost), so end price will be closer to $300.

Net result? Nike lost foreign markets, employs less number of higher-paid Americans here (since they don't need that many people in the offices because market shrunk), employs quite a few of Americans at a minimum wage, and you pay 3 times more than now.

Good picture, isn't it?
Thats only if the entire manufacturing base is brought back to USA. A more cost effective strategy would be to bring 20-30 percent back and use American sourced materials for an exclusive line. The consumer would go wild for it and build brand loyalty and trust that is priceless. Not to mention paring down top CEO salarys that are grotesque to the average worker.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abouthelp View Post
Yes. The Asian continent is the enemy unless they are selling cheaply made stuff at ridiculous profits.
On the contrary. The asian continent is where some of life's most practical and useful inventions where created. Ever use an umbrella? How about a food called pasta? The real enemy is greed that goes wherever it can exploit tame labor.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
You are looking at a $2,000 pair of tennis Shoes -made in america

Old 07-09-2020, 05:03 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,414 times
Just by me clicking on this thread, Nike ads are already showing up on my phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics