Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2020, 08:34 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Market Maven View Post
A mask, goggles, gloves, and face shield mandate would be for starters. In public and at home. Anyone who doesn't comply faces jail time like many local governments are doing already. If that doesn't work then possibly prison or the death penalty. Some experts are even recommending wearing masks and additional protective measures while engaging in intimate activities. If we take all of these necessary precautions and follow all orders by the authorities we might have this thing under control in 2 or 3 years. Safety first.
LOL! I love it.

“Safety first” is the new “in this economy...”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 09:14 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Ain't that the truth. I was speaking with a friend this evening, who told me about a guy who went to his Doctor, and asked, "Hey, Doc, when do you think all this hoopla about the pandemic is going to go away?"
The Doctor replied, "How the heck should I know? I'm a Doctor, not a Politician".

With respect to the death rate being 3.9% (an above comment), that math only works if the approximately 3.8 million total infected were ALL of the people that actually had or have the virus. That number represents only cases confirmed by testing, but since many folks are asymptomatic, the true number of infected is likely MUCH higher than that.

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist on all this, but do have some questions:
1) If it's not safe to put kids together in a classroom, why is it safe to put them into a library or other group session during the day (to allow the parents to go to work), as the Mayor of NYC is suggesting?
2) If wearing masks prevents the spread of the virus, why did they release thousands of inmates from the jails, instead of just giving the inmates masks?
3) Why is it OK to attend a BLM march, but not OK to attend church? (another New York question).

Personally, it's looking more and more like both the Coronavirus and the Floyd protests/riots have been turned into political tools to sway voters before the November elections. I'm not very impressed by that, and plan to Vote Accordingly.
Everything is upside down started with the witch-hunt impeachment last year. The establishment wants Trump removed desperately.

This year the found COVID-19 and BLM. There are blacks killed by cops every year but they picked the cases that were already out and prosecutors ignored already. Clear signs of media manipulation. They didn’t riot until the MSM got to it and George Floyd was dead awhile ago.

Now for COVID-19 I know of 5 people that got it, while it was a rough cold but it wasn’t life threatening for the folks I know infected.

I know they manipulated the death count because they started counting any unrelated deaths from March as COVID-19 deaths. Not a conspiracy but the truth of manipulating data by the democrat controlled cities and states.

While GOP controlled states has high infections but the death rates don’t line up as the democrat controlled states.

I am not supporting going mask less but there are political influences in our livelihood due to the election.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:57 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Churches can have all the services they want, as long as they do it outside. Unfortunately, some sects believe Jesus won't show up if there is no AC or padded pews.

It's the building that is the problem, not the religion.
Some people apparently think God won't show up at all if they're not at church or a church service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I hope a vaccine is developed. If it is, maybe everyone will have to get vaccinated annually or every few years, like we get vaccinated for other illnesses, like flu, measles, polio....
The worry is if immunity doesn't last for even a full year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Where the vaccine might fail the monoclonal antibodies might fill in. In fact they should be out sooner.
I think they're afraid that might not work so well, either.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:13 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I don't know why not. It is a fairly good duplication of what nature does.
What are you reading?

Old 07-18-2020, 10:29 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Some people apparently think God won't show up at all if they're not at church or a church service.

The worry is if immunity doesn't last for even a full year.

A lot of people are misunderstanding the research. There is no study suggesting that immunity is short-lived. It's just that we don't know one way or another.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:36 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
As an ACE (arm chair economist) I think we will have a bit of an inflation up tick coming out of the pandemic. But in no way think it will be like the '70's.
I've been expecting that inflation uptick for over 20 years. I've been wrong for over 20 years.

Regarding inflation, I've recently been reading The Fiscal Theory of the Price Level. It is a draft by John Cochrane, a well-respected research economist. Specifically, his preface sheds some light on fiscal vs. monetary underpinnings of inflation, interwoven with a autobiographical context. Going past the preface, you might find it interesting, depending on how academic you wish to be as an ACE.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I've been expecting that inflation uptick for over 20 years. I've been wrong for over 20 years.

Regarding inflation, I've recently been reading The Fiscal Theory of the Price Level. It is a draft by John Cochrane, a well-respected research economist. Specifically, his preface sheds some light on fiscal vs. monetary underpinnings of inflation, interwoven with a autobiographical context. Going past the preface, you might find it interesting, depending on how academic you wish to be as an ACE.
Not much with academic stuff since I retired from medicine. For the above I would have to take the CliffsNotes.

I have read a lot of stuff from Cochrane, mainly blogs, postings and such, but don't have a specific opinion on him.

Right from the start though this worried me:

'We had been studying monetary economics and what happens as speedier electronic transactions reduce the demand for money.'

Did he mean currency?

Old 07-18-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
By mid next year there will be widely available vaccinations for Covid19. Once enough people are immunized the virus will start to fade away.
I keep reading about people who assert they will refuse any vaccination. Of course, there is a difference between what people say now and what they actually do a year or two from now.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Hospitals in major cities are already at peak capacity, or are at 98% of it.
Source? We have seem to have plenty of capacity within a few hundred miles of hot spots. There are some areas that will require transportation of sick patients a bit farther than that, but not many. The good news is the mechanical life support ventilators that were in short supply back at the beginning of the pandemic no longer seem to be an issue.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Source? We have seem to have plenty of capacity within a few hundred miles of hot spots. There are some areas that will require transportation of sick patients a bit farther than that, but not many. The good news is the mechanical life support ventilators that were in short supply back at the beginning of the pandemic no longer seem to be an issue.
AZ is getting really stuffed mainly in the big cities. Our local small town hospital has been taking transfers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics