Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 12:17 PM

8,214 posts, read 3,483,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yes, the stores around here were refusing to take cash/coins for a short time claiming concerns of the virus. They even had the coinstar machine shut down. Then, they claim a shortage and are refusing to give change. Their policies change so quickly not many can keep up with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 01:38 PM

223 posts, read 144,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I've never minded counting the coins. You cannot get coin rolls from banks anymore. You have to buy them from the store. I had been saving up the coins and using them at the self checkouts over the years without rolling them.

What I really liked was when I'd occasionally find a silver coin in my change. People don't usually even understand about them and won't save them. I'd sometimes buy rolls of coins from the bank to check for them and find them. I'd make money selling all the silver coins that I'd save up doing this. I'd get, for example, several hundred rolls of dimes or quarters and go through them. I'd find silver coins and save them up and sell them to this coin shop. I'd sometimes double my money when I got lucky. Can't do that anymore now.

My mom once got a roll of quarters from the bank and they were all silver. She was ecstatic.
I do the same thing. Every month I use to get about $200 when I get my pension. I also separate the coins. I save the old ones ( the silver ones, any coin from the 60's and 70's ( the 1981's because thats the year my son was born)). I also collect the states that I have lived in. The other coins I re-roll and deposit them back into my account. If I run short of money before the end of the month, I use my state coins. Since I'm retired, I had the time and I found it relaxing.

BTW I once found a shiny penny on the ground once. The year was 1909 ( the first year of the Lincoln penny). I saved it until 2009 and sold it for $3,000.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:43 PM

223 posts, read 144,397 times
Most large laundromats and car washes recycle their coins. They take the coins that people use for the services and put them in the change machines.

Old 07-29-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfromVA View Post
Most large laundromats and car washes recycle their coins. They take the coins that people use for the services and put them in the change machines.
Yes, last night I went to the car wash and got about $25 in quarters. I was tickled. Planning to do laundry tonight.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:14 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Something odd happened today. I was in a truck stop where they sell cinnabon (don't judge).
Anyway it came to $11.14 and I handed her a twenty. She asked if I had 14 cents. I said no, I do in the car.

She said "would you like to round up and donate to the Girls & Boys club?"
I declined, she looked irritated, and when she opened her drawer the coin trays were FULL. She handed me back $9. I said your drawer's going to be short and she grabbed the $9 back and recounted it. I said "I can get 14 cents out of the car." She said no so I left. Honestly it was kind of creepy.
You know? I've got to go back that way tomorrow. Think I'll just ask for some change.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Something odd happened today. I was in a truck stop where they sell cinnabon (don't judge).
Anyway it came to $11.14 and I handed her a twenty. She asked if I had 14 cents. I said no, I do in the car.

She said "would you like to round up and donate to the Girls & Boys club?"
I declined, she looked irritated, and when she opened her drawer the coin trays were FULL. She handed me back $9. I said your drawer's going to be short and she grabbed the $9 back and recounted it. I said "I can get 14 cents out of the car." She said no so I left. Honestly it was kind of creepy.
You know? I've got to go back that way tomorrow. Think I'll just ask for some change.
Wow.

I seriously don't think there's a coin shortage. Why would the stores urge people to use credit/debit and not cash/coin one day and couple days later plead coin shortage? It doesn't make sense.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:25 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,446,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Wow.

I seriously don't think there's a coin shortage. Why would the stores urge people to use credit/debit and not cash/coin one day and couple days later plead coin shortage? It doesn't make sense.
Nah, its not a coin shortage.

ITS as Previously conveyed. Business's are seeking to go cashless. It helps when they can data mine your shopping ...so they can sell it to marketing firms. They get a lovely kick back each month when your card is swiped. Sure they pay a 2% fee for card usage, but my oh my the money they make off your info is amazing!

But hey , if you wish to have all your credit information available to hackers please, keep swiping!

In this past year I've had my account hacked numerous times, and no amount of locking the card and only using it for certain transactions have impeded the hackers. But Cash....is KING.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:01 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, where do you live, that this is going on? There hasn't been any problem in my state--NM. Haven't heard about it in CA or WA, either.
I went to CVS in CA yesterday. The total was $14.02, I gave the guy a $20 bill and assumed he would give me $6 change. Nope, he counted out 98 cents and dumped it in my hand along with a $5 bill.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:18 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,428,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Nah, its not a coin shortage.

ITS as Previously conveyed. Business's are seeking to go cashless. It helps when they can data mine your shopping ...so they can sell it to marketing firms. They get a lovely kick back each month when your card is swiped. Sure they pay a 2% fee for card usage, but my oh my the money they make off your info is amazing!

But hey , if you wish to have all your credit information available to hackers please, keep swiping!

In this past year I've had my account hacked numerous times, and no amount of locking the card and only using it for certain transactions have impeded the hackers. But Cash....is KING.
If you buy in cash, wouldn’t they still have the same spending data using their inventory tracking via point of sale? Wouldn’t being able to sell data on how people who actually use still cash in the modern would also be valuable to sell to marketing firms?

Old 07-30-2020, 11:26 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
I went to CVS in CA yesterday. The total was $14.02, I gave the guy a $20 bill and assumed he would give me $6 change. Nope, he counted out 98 cents and dumped it in my hand along with a $5 bill.
That's what he was supposed to do. Next time look around the floor and I'll bet you can find two pennies somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics