Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 10:31 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,529,915 times

Advertisements

From a COVID-19 Recession to COVID-19 Depression?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 10:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
What a bs article. There was nothing natural progression into a recession or this upcoming “depression”. . There as no market downturn because people decided to stop shopping, investing or spending. Or some financial calamity to cause a downturn. The only reason this economy came to a slam halt stop was because governments decided to do a mass quarantine and shut down the economy. Otherwise people wouldn’t care. They would be shopping visiting etc. The ones who are worried....stay home and quarantine if you want. Businesses should be allowed to be open and of a person chooses to go in and shop...go in and shop. Nine of this only essential business. If a employee chooses not to come to work fine they don’t get paid or they can use up vacation or sick leave.
I made a choice to go to work, shop when I need to and keep my wife mostly at home. But that’s a choice we made.

Jesus Christ we had the Hong Kong flu in 1969. 80,000 people died in that pandemic. And they didn’t shut down the country.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:30 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What a bs article. There was nothing natural progression into a recession or this upcoming “depression”. . There as no market downturn because people decided to stop shopping, investing or spending. Or some financial calamity to cause a downturn. The only reason this economy came to a slam halt stop was because governments decided to do a mass quarantine and shut down the economy. Otherwise people wouldn’t care. They would be shopping visiting etc. The ones who are worried....stay home and quarantine if you want. Businesses should be allowed to be open and of a person chooses to go in and shop...go in and shop. Nine of this only essential business. If a employee chooses not to come to work fine they don’t get paid or they can use up vacation or sick leave.
I made a choice to go to work, shop when I need to and keep my wife mostly at home. But that’s a choice we made.

Jesus Christ we had the Hong Kong flu in 1969. 80,000 people died in that pandemic. And they didn’t shut down the country.
Any reduction in consumer spending due to people staying home out of fear of a disease would by definition cause a slowdown in the economy. If it was enough people, a recession, a lot of people, a depression

Old 08-05-2020, 09:46 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
In the case of the US it is just showing the underlying conditions that will cause US Recession -> Depression -> Fail.

+ Compounding Debt + Refusal to Tax Corporations and Imports.
+ Overspending on Military -- and going more so every year.
+ Price Gouging US on Medical + Refusal to go to Medicare for All.
+ Sticking with outdated technology (Oil and ICEs)
+ Do not support actual education

If we moved past these and instead -- Taxed Corporations and Imports, cut the US Military, set US up with M4A, Moved our technology up to 2020, and educated the kids . . . .

We would sail to the top. But we will not until the [Boomer/Reaganomics/Neo-Liberal/Hayek] Die-off.

This last 40 years of Stupid + Greed has really taken US down.

Covid-19 is not the real problem. It is just making it show through.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:56 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
So far, we've been propped up by government spending. That's mostly ending and we'll see where the cards fall.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:05 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
So far, we've been propped up by government spending. That's mostly ending and we'll see where the cards fall.
They're going to restore it soon. Trump and the Republicans' resistamce is wearing down.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:10 PM

52 posts, read 39,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

The lockdowns didn’t work because people and businesses and govt didn’t take them seriously enough. If a virus has no human to infect it will die surely.
Procedures for its control weren’t followed as much as needed

Old 08-05-2020, 07:58 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
They're going to restore it soon. Trump and the Republicans' resistamce is wearing down.
I really don't think much will go to the average person. More aid to large businesses? Absolutely.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:40 PM

521 posts, read 292,591 times
The article doesn't show any good data or stats. It is a personal opinion.

I personally think the economy will dramatically improve when we get close to the election.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:53 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
If Trump wins, he HAS to shake-off the stupidity of shutting-down the country for a
snifflysnuffly virus that has a very low death-rate.

If not, and Biden gets into the WH, it just may turn into a really nasty disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics