Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 09:49 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
She doesn't even represent the district in question, and federal legislators had no power over the deal.

The NoVA site was already chosen, the NYC was site was something extra. It would have been good for the likes of Cuomo getting bragging rights and his kids getting lobbyist jobs. Not so good for the residents in the area who they are supposed to represent.

If Nashville wants to become unaffordable like Seattle they can be my guest. I would similarly oppose Amazon moving to my community with all I've got. Because once they did, I might was well start planning to move once the valuations skyrocketed.
Of course it is not in her district or involve her job - that is part of what makes it worse. Inserting herself into the deal for political purposes only. According to polls, 77% of the locals and 2/3rd of residents in NY City supported the deal - getting $27B in taxes, infrastructure and high paying jobs in exchange for $3B in taxes back was seen as a good deal for most - only someone highly biased would see it as an issue. It was NYC tax structure that required such high payments to be competitive with the other 200+ locations that were seeking this HQ. Nashville is in no danger of being expensive, like Seattle - have you even been to Nashville?

Many big companies get payments either to move or stay where they are - Boeing, Nike, Intel, Royal Dutch Shell, Tesla, Nissan, Ford and General Motors received subsidies worth at least $1 billion each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 06:03 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
13,000 vacant apartments just in Manhattan. Ever look at a street view of what NYC looks like these days? Practically a ghost town.....
Out of 880,000 rental units, so 1.5% vacancy rate. Most markets would be jumping for joy at a vacancy rate that low.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:06 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Out of 880,000 rental units, so 1.5% vacancy rate. Most markets would be jumping for joy at a vacancy rate that low.
yep , we still have an extremely low vacancy rate . plus many that are vacant are in parts of the city you wouldn't want to live or in a shape you wouldn't want to live in .

even vacancy rates hitting record highs is lower then most places on their best days

Old 08-31-2020, 04:39 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,724 times
If anything PPL and corporations will take advantage of the current market. Sure some people will leave, but ppl will always want to live in CA and its not like NY is going away any time soon. Denver is now the #2 market in the US. Stupid low inventory, houses usually have multiple offers within 3 days and 40% go over asking. Im cool with the influx in Denver. We are really considering pulling the trigger to move elsewhere.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:33 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Of course it is not in her district or involve her job - that is part of what makes it worse. Inserting herself into the deal for political purposes only. According to polls, 77% of the locals and 2/3rd of residents in NY City supported the deal - getting $27B in taxes, infrastructure and high paying jobs in exchange for $3B in taxes back was seen as a good deal for most - only someone highly biased would see it as an issue. It was NYC tax structure that required such high payments to be competitive with the other 200+ locations that were seeking this HQ. Nashville is in no danger of being expensive, like Seattle - have you even been to Nashville?

Many big companies get payments either to move or stay where they are - Boeing, Nike, Intel, Royal Dutch Shell, Tesla, Nissan, Ford and General Motors received subsidies worth at least $1 billion each.
Yes, and a lot of us don't like our money going to the already-rich. If Amazon wants to build something somewhere, let them pay market price and the taxes due to the jurisdiction. The rest of us don't get special privileges, why should they?

No I'm not very familiar with Nashville, but I have lived in Seattle and Austin, and watched the tech industry make those places into enclaves. Good luck to Nashville. May you be the next Austin & I hope you like what comes with it.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:47 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times
Quote:
Yes, and a lot of us don't like our money going to the already-rich. If Amazon wants to build something somewhere, let them pay market price and the taxes due to the jurisdiction. The rest of us don't get special privileges, why should they?

No I'm not very familiar with Nashville, but I have lived in Seattle and Austin, and watched the tech industry make those places into enclaves. Good luck to Nashville. May you be the next Austin & I hope you like what comes with it.
How is it "our" money, you are in OR, not NY, it is not your money. Amazon negotiating a tax deal is not special privilege any more than you getting a tax break is special - the difference is only how it is negotiated.

I do not know why you think Seattle or Austin have issues due to some tech jobs. BTW - I was in tech and lived in Seattle area for a couple of years and have worked with many in Austin and have a good friend that retired recently in Nashville.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:56 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:

Businesses and jobs is what makes a city prosper. No one in the 'middle class' 'likes' the rich to get richer. But that is the nature of our capitalism. And that is what these sorts of central money policies encourage.

Moneys might go first to some middle class worker if they have a job. But that money will soon be spent in their community, and it goes to owners of local and other businesses and concerns, and then on up to the investor class and the rich. That is our capitalism. The middle class has to learn to make the best of that, so it can possibly move up over time.

But without the jobs, the middle class is stuck. Like right now with the Pandemic.

The rich are still getting richer because of central money policies, as the middle class is waning to various degrees based on available jobs.

Now when any city or more local area is flush with jobs, and then local geographic anatomy causes a constriction with say housing, then the local middle class may not want or need more jobs or an Amazon moving in.

And as I recall with Amazon it was the more local area that was so objecting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics