Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 02:31 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times

Advertisements

What happens to property values in areas like SF and NYC with work going virtual?

Simple supply and demand. With fewer companies needing downtown offices, or more companies needing less space, prices will come down.

The price of city and close-in suburban homes will come down, too, because there will be less benefit to living close to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 03:04 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
And why is that?
That's a fair question. Here's an attempt at a fair answer, without delving too far into politics.

Aggressive response to the pandemic incurs a cost. So does ostrich head-in-sand-obliviousness. The one or the opposing extreme are probably both unwise. The best course is somewhere in the middle - but where? That is subjective, and depends on our particular values and situation. From what I've seen, the views articulated by the hard-right - however predicated on, shall we say, breezy assumptions - result in conclusions with which I agree. What are these? (1) It's better to err on the side of adventurism, rather than caution; (2) closures and other such measures, incur a nontrivial cost in surrendered privileges or even rights; (3) the ultimate cost in lost lives and diminished health, is not infinite, but can be assigned an approximate (maybe with large error bounds?) dollar figure.

As concerns the article by James Altucher, linked above, we behold a devastating loss - in treasure, livelihood and dignity - in NYC. How many lost-lives is that worth? I don't know. But I don't think that the "correct" number is zero.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:39 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I like your posts a lot but this is so broad as to border on insulting.

If you take a look at most big metros and big cities the areas being very hard hit by Covid-19 in most cases are typified by left to very leftwing voting patterns.

FE take a look at hot spots - current and past - in NYC, Northern New Jersey, Dallas, Atlanta, LA etc.
I agree fully. The first line below is not mine.

**Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I much rather live in an area that took the science seriously than an area that denies the effectiveness of masks.

Liberals. Big Cities. Higher Covid risks. Mask wearers.
Conservatives. Small towns. Lower Covid risks. Mask deniers.

Of course just general tendencies.
We are up in Portland from rural AZ for the summer. The above differences could not be more dramatic.**

Old 08-19-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That's a fair question. Here's an attempt at a fair answer, without delving too far into politics.

Aggressive response to the pandemic incurs a cost. So does ostrich head-in-sand-obliviousness. The one or the opposing extreme are probably both unwise. The best course is somewhere in the middle - but where? That is subjective, and depends on our particular values and situation. From what I've seen, the views articulated by the hard-right - however predicated on, shall we say, breezy assumptions - result in conclusions with which I agree. What are these? (1) It's better to err on the side of adventurism, rather than caution; (2) closures and other such measures, incur a nontrivial cost in surrendered privileges or even rights; (3) the ultimate cost in lost lives and diminished health, is not infinite, but can be assigned an approximate (maybe with large error bounds?) dollar figure.

As concerns the article by James Altucher, linked above, we behold a devastating loss - in treasure, livelihood and dignity - in NYC. How many lost-lives is that worth? I don't know. But I don't think that the "correct" number is zero.
The reason it is what it is, is medically based. Politics is what takes it elsewhere in this country.
Medicine will always tend to err on the side of caution. 'First do no harm' is no casual slogan. Unless backs are against the wall and it is a do or die situation.

So earlier in the year all the medical communities in the world began prepping for potential doom, and that set the stage. Many communities knew they weren't going to be hit right off the bat. Like our smaller rural area. But we had to prep, and we did not know how long that would take. Or how or when we would be hit.

Liberals/Dems tend to line up with science and medicine, and that is that!

Old 08-19-2020, 03:52 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,339 times
Quote:
I do believe that you have things a bit mixed up. Or of course your experience may be very different than mine. I just retired, but still keep in contact. And have plenty of time to read about Covid 19 as well as engage in political discussions.

Almost all the recent political hubbub, those not wearing masks, those denying science for instance have nothing against the HC teams and docs. This was recently true in my small conservative AZ town, and is true here in big city liberal Portland, where my daughter practices. It is indeed pathetic IMO, but not generally directed towards us docs out in practice. Though on these sorts of forums you might get some disrespect based on the politics you express. Right now Pandemic related medical opinions of course join much more closely with Dems/liberals. And these truths are very hard for the Right to digest at this point in time.
If the hospitals are begging the citizens to socially distance and mask up, and the citizens say no, what is that?

The big cities are crowded, so they got hit, and then people wore masks and enacted mandates Ti drive the infection rates down. Meanwhile in rural America people carried on like nothing was happening and now those small hospitals are going through hell.

I have a buddy from med school who went AD USAF and is in the midst of a FEMA tasking to that rural America and he simply cannot believe how hard the staff are working while the local population largely carries on as if nothing is wrong and his patients act surprised as they are being hospitalized for CoVID19 seven months into the pandemic.

I’m not thrilled with my areas response either, thankfully corporate America stepped up to protect public health, but once this all calms down I’m headed to an area that didn’t call science a hoax because the next pandemic isn’t likely going to be this mild and I just won’t go through this nonsense again.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:58 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
I agree fully. The first line below is not mine.

**Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I much rather live in an area that took the science seriously than an area that denies the effectiveness of masks.

Liberals. Big Cities. Higher Covid risks. Mask wearers.
Conservatives. Small towns. Lower Covid risks. Mask deniers.

Of course just general tendencies.
We are up in Portland from rural AZ for the summer. The above differences could not be more dramatic.**
Ok sorry about that.

Old 08-19-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
If the hospitals are begging the citizens to socially distance and mask up, and the citizens say no, what is that?

The big cities are crowded, so they got hit, and then people wore masks and enacted mandates Ti drive the infection rates down. Meanwhile in rural America people carried on like nothing was happening and now those small hospitals are going through hell.

I have a buddy from med school who went AD USAF and is in the midst of a FEMA tasking to that rural America and he simply cannot believe how hard the staff are working while the local population largely carries on as if nothing is wrong and his patients act surprised as they are being hospitalized for CoVID19 seven months into the pandemic.

I’m not thrilled with my areas response either, thankfully corporate America stepped up to protect public health, but once this all calms down I’m headed to an area that didn’t call science a hoax because the next pandemic isn’t likely going to be this mild and I just won’t go through this nonsense again.
I think I said that I'm from conservative small town AZ. We are a retirement community and by and large our seniors behave. The forces to mask are just not that strong among the younger crowd. And after our premature and overly broad Memorial Day opening, things got tough there for a while. Now ramping downward.

I'm in Portland for the summer, and maybe we'll become snowbirds. Most everyone properly masks here, and even the gyms are open with precautions in place.

Where would you go?

Old 08-19-2020, 06:49 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,339 times
Quote:
I think I said that I'm from conservative small town AZ. We are a retirement community and by and large our seniors behave. The forces to mask are just not that strong among the younger crowd. And after our premature and overly broad Memorial Day opening, things got tough there for a while. Now ramping downward.

I'm in Portland for the summer, and maybe we'll become snowbirds. Most everyone properly masks here, and even the gyms are open with precautions in place.

Where would you go?
In the states? Seattle.

But Canada seems like it’s the best bet. Since SARS they have purposely built their hospitals to be used for pandemic response.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
In the states? Seattle.

But Canada seems like it’s the best bet. Since SARS they have purposely built their hospitals to be used for pandemic response.
Good deal.

After each and successive past potential pandemics we docs met, had meetings, and then someone up the line would drop the ball. I would hope that this time around we will learn and then do our planning right. Next time it could be like Ebola.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:18 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
The reason it is what it is, is medically based. Politics is what takes it elsewhere in this country.
Medicine will always tend to err on the side of caution. 'First do no harm' is no casual slogan. Unless backs are against the wall and it is a do or die situation.

So earlier in the year all the medical communities in the world began prepping for potential doom, and that set the stage. Many communities knew they weren't going to be hit right off the bat. Like our smaller rural area. But we had to prep, and we did not know how long that would take. Or how or when we would be hit.

Liberals/Dems tend to line up with science and medicine, and that is that!
Well, that's the essence of it... "do no harm" is "do no harm physiologically". If killing Little Johnny saves a good chunk of coin, well, that's contrary to the Hippocratic Oath, right? The priority will be on saving Little Johnny, costs be damned.

So, a decision might be rational, straightforward and ethically self-evident from a medical viewpoint, but not from, ahem, other viewpoints. Well, one can espouse such an "alternative" viewpoint out of ignorance of the science - where ignorance includes willful refusal to treat known science seriously. Or, one can understand the science well-enough, and nevertheless make different choices. Our friends over in the hard-right largely fall into the former category. I fall into the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics