Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 07:16 AM

893 posts, read 791,220 times

Advertisements

Here's a new indicator to watch. When the Mexicans start going back over their border home, it means we are in real trouble. That might sound like a joke but I bet it is one we'll see sooner than we think. When gas and food is more than they can afford and the jobs are disappearing there will be no reason to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 07:42 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
Here's a new indicator to watch. When the Mexicans start going back over their border home, it means we are in real trouble. That might sound like a joke but I bet it is one we'll see sooner than we think. When gas and food is more than they can afford and the jobs are disappearing there will be no reason to stay.
I posted a article in one of the Florida forums. Basically they said there has been a outward trend for latin americans here in South Florida. Basically illegals and legals have been going back home because it is to much money to stay here. One lady said she thought she would be able to work here and send money home. But for the last 2 years, she has had to ask her family back home to send her money for her to live here. So I agree with you.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:59 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Default Brazilians too

CapeCodTimes.com - Hopes dashed, Brazilians going home

Yeah the Brazilians are also started leaving last year. It really helping to drop the price of homes in some area of Cape Cod and Southern Ma.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:14 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Cruikshl wrote:
This economic meltdown is likely to be more effective at dealing with illegal immigration than any plan congress could devise.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:58 AM

This may well be our governments plan to deal with the illegals. There have been stranger things happen.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:07 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Honestly, it makes me feel better that some immigrants prefer to go home. Perhaps if the US is a mess, people will stay home and push for reform. That's something we need to do right here. In my "perfect world" immigration would be eliminated.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:35 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,786 times
Remember too that the workplace raids have increased lately and sections of the border fence are being built. While the enforcement is still too lax for many Americans' taste the tales of these raids get reported in the Spanish-speaking press and stir up a bit of a frenzy in the illegal communities.

I read an article a few months back about Arizona's new law that is tough on employers that hire illegals. Many of the illegals that were interviewed were moving back because they saw it as too risky to stay in the state. Oklahoma also has a strict new law. There are even anecdotal reports here in Southern California about some school districts losing quite a few Hispanic students. (And believe me, the state is not doing anything to discourage illegal immigration; any of that is coming at a Federal level.)

So to assume that illegals leaving the country is a sign of our economic despair is not looking at the full picture. The standard of living in America is still much higher than most of Latin America and will be for the foreseeable future.

I think many illegals leaving is not an economic indicator but rather an example of how a (very) little enforcement can go along ways. It also shows that it is not necessary to deport 12 million people because many of them will self-deport under the right conditions.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:04 PM

Maybe if we tell them if they don't leave now we're gonna make them stay. No matter how expensive things get they can't leave. hehehehe

Old 06-29-2008, 02:16 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
CapeCodTimes.com - Hopes dashed, Brazilians going home

Yeah the Brazilians are also started leaving last year. It really helping to drop the price of homes in some area of Cape Cod and Southern Ma.
Brazil is not a bad place to be these days. Look for them to be leaders in the Western hemisphere in years to come. Its a very big Country , and , they have a handle on the energy problems.... BUY BRAZIL !!

Old 06-29-2008, 03:35 PM

Maybe we should pack up and move to Brazil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics