Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 09:00 PM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
EDS, I question your posted statement, “Per the OECD SOCX database privately funded social welfare spending in The US equals ~11% of GDP”. I did not accuse you or the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development of lying.

I interpret the term “privately funded social welfare spending” as to exclude direct and indirect government spending. The link you just provided and is quoted in this post, seems to be reporting exclusively on government spending and although much of government spending can be considered as social expenditures, few of them are charity expenditures. Your link certainly doesn’t seem to be discussing non-government altruistic voluntary contributions without considerations for the individual contributors’ self-interests; (i.e. they do not seem to be reporting upon persons’ altruistic behaviors).

Respectfully, Supposn

The linked info. very clearly and quantitatively defines non-government/voluntary contributions. If you can't see that these types of discussions are simply beyond your grasp.

Click the link below. Look at the column on the right, Total Net Social Welfare Spending % of GDP scroll down to The US......write that number down. Then look to the corresponding number on the left, Public Social Welfare Spending % of GDP. The difference between the two is the public contribution*.

https://www.oecd.org/social/expenditure.htm

* We don't have perfect resolution as the public and total numbers are from different years but that is a trivial matter.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:19 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,307,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Please stop pretending people with opposing views are lying.
The OECD defines social welfare spending broadly to include things like giving to food banks, The Red Cross, soup kitchens, family shelters, gifts to The United Way, animal shelters etc. - just about any tax decuctible contribution and some not.

https://www1.compareyourcountry.org/social-expenditure
EDS, you're in error.
I ws a student within government funded public schools rather than non-government funded parochial schools.
Your first provided link, https://www1.compareyourcountry.org/social-expenditure , describes the reported spending as ‘Public social spending”.

Excerpted from your second link, https://www.oecd.org/social/expenditure.htm .
… Social expenditure Database (SOCX)
The OECD Social Expenditure Database (SOCX) has been developed in order to serve a growing need for indicators of social policy. It includes reliable and internationally comparable statistics on public and (mandatory and voluntary) private social expenditure at programme level as well as net social spending indicators. …

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 09-03-2020, 05:04 AM

Quote:
EDS, you're in error.
I was a student within government funded public schools rather than non-government funded parochial schools.
Your first provided link, https://www1.compareyourcountry.org/social-expenditure , describes the reported spending as ‘Public social spending”.

The OECD Social Expenditure Database (SOCX) has been developed in order to serve a growing need for indicators of social policy. It includes reliable and internationally comparable statistics on public and (mandatory and voluntary) private social expenditure at programme level as well as net social spending indicators.
EDS, that includes both government and non-government, (i.e. all) net spending for what the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development deems to be social purposes.
Most government spending for social purposes is not charity. Charity is primarily altruistically motivated.
Respectfully, Supposn

Old 09-03-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
EDS, you're in error.
I ws a student within government funded public schools rather than non-government funded parochial schools.

The OECD Social Expenditure Database (SOCX) has been developed in order to serve a growing need for indicators of social policy. It includes reliable and internationally comparable statistics on public and (mandatory and voluntary) private social expenditure at programme level as well as net social spending indicators. …

Respectfully, Supposn

Maybe the SOXC database is beyond your grasp? The two links lead to the same data analysis and if you are unable to power through what is there you simply aren't equipped to argue economic topics.

And FWIIW I get your narrow point.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:50 PM

EDS, Excerpted from your second link, https://www.oecd.org/social/expenditure.htm .
“… Social expenditure Database (SOCX)
The OECD Social Expenditure Database (SOCX) has been developed in order to serve a growing need for indicators of social policy. It includes reliable and internationally comparable statistics on public and (mandatory and voluntary) private social expenditure at programme level as well as net social spending indicators. …”.
what do we disagree upon?

Doesn’t SOCXs database include public and private expenditures? Aren’t “public” expenditures, government expenditures?
Aren’t government expenditures directly or indirectly funded by taxpayers? Are taxpayers’ voluntary contributors of their taxes? Persons’ altruistic behaviors are acts of voluntary sacrificing for the benefit of others without regard for their own personal or their own individual associations’ benefits? Are taxpayers’ altruist voluntary contributors?
Are all government spending for social purposes, or any portion of government spending for social purposes, considered to be altruistic spending that is not to any benefit for the nation's aggregate economic and/or social wellbeing?

Are all private, (i.e. non-government) spending for social purposes, charity expenditure’s? To the extent that private contributors of spending for social reasons are not purely voluntary, or not without some benefit to the contributors or their associates, are all such private contributors purely altruistic contributors?

Respectfully, Supposn

Old 09-03-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
EDS, Excerpted from your second link, https://www.oecd.org/social/expenditure.htm .
“… Social expenditure Database (SOCX)
The OECD Social Expenditure Database (SOCX) has been developed in order to serve a growing need for indicators of social policy. It includes reliable and internationally comparable statistics on public and (mandatory and voluntary) private social expenditure at programme level as well as net social spending indicators. …”.
what do we disagree upon?

Doesn’t SOCXs database include public and private expenditures? Aren’t “public” expenditures, government expenditures?
Aren’t government expenditures directly or indirectly funded by taxpayers? Are taxpayers’ voluntary contributors of their taxes? Persons’ altruistic behaviors are acts of voluntary sacrificing for the benefit of others without regard for their own personal or their own individual associations’ benefits? Are taxpayers’ altruist voluntary contributors?
Are all government spending for social purposes, or any portion of government spending for social purposes, considered to be altruistic spending that is not to any benefit for the nation's aggregate economic and/or social wellbeing?

Are all private, (i.e. non-government) spending for social purposes, charity expenditure’s? To the extent that private contributors of spending for social reasons are not purely voluntary, or not without some benefit to the contributors or their associates, are all such private contributors purely altruistic contributors?

Respectfully, Supposn
Dear goodness. Via SOCX The OECD specifically lists total public and total-total if you will social welfare contributions on the logic that people are smart enough to understand the spread between the two is the private contribution. They actually point this out if you'd bother to read the page a bit.

Although you vaguely alluded to this it might help you to understand that "private" social welfare spending does not involve any government action.

In my world a voluntary contribution to say a church that is later spent on food-diapers-job training-a new home whatever is altrusitic giving. In your world maybe not.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Dear goodness. Via SOCX The OECD specifically lists total public and total-total if you will social welfare contributions on the logic that people are smart enough to understand the spread between the two is the private contribution. They actually point this out if you'd bother to read the page a bit.
Although you vaguely alluded to this it might help you to understand that "private" social welfare spending does not involve any government action.

In my world a voluntary contribution to say a church that is later spent on food-diapers-job training-a new home whatever is altrusitic giving. In your world maybe not.
EDS, yes, I sit corrected before my Keyboard. You’ve just explained the derivation of your 11% social spending as being private spending. There’s still questions as to what portions of those spendings are voluntary altruistic spending?

Costs of a Harvard education are social spending. But Harvard tuition and dormitory bills paid by students and their families, government grants, and most loans are not voluntary altruistic spending.

That’s only some of many questions regarding what the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development has determined to be USA’s net non-government spending for social purposes, and what portion of those contributions to those expenditures are voluntary altruistic spending.
OECD’s 11% may or may not be approximately correct, but there’s not good reason to doubt it.
Respectfully, Supposn

Old 09-03-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
EDS, yes, I sit corrected before my Keyboard. You’ve just explained the derivation of your 11% social spending as being private spending. There’s still questions as to what portions of those spendings are voluntary altruistic spending?

Costs of a Harvard education are social spending. But Harvard tuition and dormitory bills paid by students and their families, government grants, and most loans are not voluntary altruistic spending.

That’s only some of many questions regarding what the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development has determined to be USA’s net non-government spending for social purposes, and what portion of those contributions to those expenditures are voluntary altruistic spending.
OECD’s 11% may or may not be approximately correct, but there’s not good reason to doubt it.
Respectfully, Supposn
To put a finer point on it. If I pay for my child to go to Harvard that is not counted in the SOCX private social welfare spending category.

Further, if I pay for a kid I don't know, or the kid of a friend or the kid of a relative to go to Harvard that would certainly be altruistic on my part but it would not count as private social welfare spending per the SOCX index.........so called household to houshold giving does not count.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:52 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:

Respectfully, Supposn
You've got somebody else sucked into your circular reasoning and obfuscation? Amazing.

Old 09-04-2020, 12:58 AM

156 posts, read 97,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
These bills are all sops to the big unions because most union contracts have clauses that require automatic pay raises (sometimes with an added escalator) every time the minimum wage is increased.
The current system is a giant sop to the big corporations. But you don't mind it when big business benefits. Big business God, big labor Satan.

Every country where unions are strong are hilariously outperforming us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics