Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 07:59 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
The bill is HR 582 not 258 - you can't even get the bill correct.

That chart is a graphical representation NOT a study, the CBO analysis of HR 582 is here https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/2019-04/hr582.pdf

They used the data from this study https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/201...umWage2019.pdf to estimate the HR bill impact in the chart you reference. HR 582 is similar to the $15 option in the study. The summary page 2 states;

Much of this was discussed ad nasium - 35 pages - https://www.city-data.com/forum/econ...racter-35.html

Also you essentially duplicated this thread - even same wrong bill number https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l-house-s.html
Unpossible!

Old 09-02-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Dear Supposn,

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...um-wage-study/

A ‘very credible’ new study on Seattle’s $15 minimum wage has bad news for liberals

"The costs to low-wage workers in Seattle outweighed the benefits by a ratio of three to one, according to the study, conducted by a group of economists at the University of Washington who were commissioned by the city.

"On the whole, the study estimates, the average low-wage worker in the city lost $125 a month because of the hike in the minimum.
wait, what? Unpossible!

Old 09-02-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I understand your point, but the disparity today between CEO pay and the average worker is hundreds and hundreds of times more now than it was in the 70's. It is one of the biggest factors as we slowly say bye-bye to the middle class in this country.
popular, but wrong.

Don't get me wrong, there's a "philosophical" issue with CEO's of public companies making so much money compared to their entry workers and some front-line personnel (when you think every company is Wal Mart).

you might look at the loss of manufacturing jobs.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:25 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,307,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Five Republican states have no minimum wage. It's mainly targeted at them. To override the federal minimum wage, a state would have to pass a bill, 2 out of 3 states have minimum wage above that of the federal law.
lchoro, these statistic numbers speak for themselves. They eloquently describe consequences to the only seven U.S. states which have may have some state minimum rates below, and none above the federal minimum wage rate.
The majority membership of those seven states' legislation chambers are all Republican majorities. The U.S. households' median incomes purchasing powers were ranked by state. These statistics the demostrate the failure of that specific economic policy.
I contend federal minimum wage rate’s of greater economic benefit to states with otherwise lower minimum wage rates. Respectfully, Supposn

[Data excerpted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...me#cite_note-3 , (which was redirected from List of U.S. states by income)] .

Within seven USA states, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Wyoming, there are no minimum wage rates exceeding the federal minimum rate. (If a state’s minimum is also applicable to the federal minimum, the federal minimum wage rate is applied).

Wyoming ranked 21st among the 50 states’ with $61, 584 and Georgia ranks 29th with $58, 756 2018 median 2018 household incomes. The remaining six (6) states’ rankings of median 2018 household incomes ranged between South Carolina’s 43d rank’s $52,306 and Mississippi’s 51st rank’s $41, 717.

Last edited by Supposn; 09-02-2020 at 09:53 AM..

Old 09-02-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I understand your point, but the disparity today between CEO pay and the average worker is hundreds and hundreds of times more now than it was in the 70's. It is one of the biggest factors as we slowly say bye-bye to the middle class in this country.
Ocnjgirl, people do not generally behave altruistically, and what they attempt to do what’s more convenient or what they perceive to be in their own or their friends or family’s best interests.
If enterprises managers were legally hindered to excessively reward their enterprises’ greater compensated executives, historic precedents do not indicate that would consequentially drive enterprises to better compensate their lesser paid employees.
Excessively rewarded executives are off-topic. It’s not a germane facet of minimum wage rate discussions. Respectfully, Supposn

Old 09-02-2020, 10:17 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
popular, but wrong.

Don't get me wrong, there's a "philosophical" issue with CEO's of public companies making so much money compared to their entry workers and some front-line personnel (when you think every company is Wal Mart).

you might look at the loss of manufacturing jobs.
Both issues are factors. Loss of manufacturing certainly dealt a huge blow to the middle class. But the fact remains CEO pay was something like 35 times higher than the average employee in the 70's and is hundreds of times more now. They've also stopped pensions and other benefits that even the lowest level employees used to have. In nursing home rehab I've worked with hundreds of older people who almost all have pensions, many lifetime health care. They weren't high level workers, they were telephone operators for Bell Telephone and other unskilled jobs. Greed has most definitely changed the work world. Everything is being hoarded at the top to a degree not seen since the 20's.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:04 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Ocnjgirl, people do not generally behave altruistically, and what they attempt to do what’s more convenient or what they perceive to be in their own or their friends or family’s best interests.
Respectfully, Supposn
That's just wrong. Americans in particular are quite altruistic.

Per The OECD SOCX database privately funded social welfare spending in The US equals ~11% of GDP................that's by far and away the most in both nominal and proportional terms in The OECD for sure and likely the world.

Old 09-02-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's just wrong. Americans in particular are quite altruistic.

Per The OECD SOCX database privately funded social welfare spending in The US equals ~11% of GDP................that's by far and away the most in both nominal and proportional terms in The OECD for sure and likely the world.
EDS, what’s not true? OECD, (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development)? Do you have a link to what you’re referring to?
USA spends 11% of our GDP for non-government charities? Cosmetics, USA’s professional sports maybe, but not 11 % of USA’s GDP for non-government charity?

my father was among the more angelic people I’ve ever encountered; but he wasn’t an angel.
You believe people are generally altruistic, putting the interests of other before their own self interests?
Respectfully, supposn

Old 09-02-2020, 06:14 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
EDS, what’s not true? OECD, (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development)? Do you have a link to what you’re referring to?
USA spends 11% of our GDP for non-government charities? Cosmetics, USA’s professional sports maybe, but not 11 % of USA’s GDP for non-government charity?

my father was among the more angelic people I’ve ever encountered; but he wasn’t an angel.
You believe people are generally altruistic, putting the interests of other before their own self interests?
Respectfully, supposn

Please stop pretending people with opposing views are lying.

The OECD defines social welfare spending broadly to include things like giving to food banks, The Red Cross, soup kitchens, family shelters, gifts to The United Way, animal shelters etc. - just about any tax decuctible contribution and some not.

https://www1.compareyourcountry.org/social-expenditure

Old 09-02-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Please stop pretending people with opposing views are lying.
The OECD defines social welfare spending broadly to include things like giving to food banks, The Red Cross, soup kitchens, family shelters, gifts to The United Way, animal shelters etc. - just about any tax decuctible contribution and some not.
https://www1.compareyourcountry.org/social-expenditure
EDS, I question your posted statement, “Per the OECD SOCX database privately funded social welfare spending in The US equals ~11% of GDP”. I did not accuse you or the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development of lying.

I interpret the term “privately funded social welfare spending” as to exclude direct and indirect government spending. The link you just provided and is quoted in this post, seems to be reporting exclusively on government spending and although much of government spending can be considered as social expenditures, few of them are charity expenditures. Your link certainly doesn’t seem to be discussing non-government altruistic voluntary contributions without considerations for the individual contributors’ self-interests; (i.e. they do not seem to be reporting upon persons’ altruistic behaviors).

Respectfully, Supposn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics