Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:08 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,207 times

Advertisements

I saw a documentary that we are going to run out of oil by 2016 or 2019 at our current rate. I thought about buying one of those hybrid cars, but I heard that when the batteries go bad it costs about $15k to replace. THEY DONT TELL YOU THAT UPFRONT!

There used to electric cars buit by FORD (I think) in CA, but tanked by big oil companies and etc. I got this info from the movie...what happened to the electric cars? anyone see that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
- I just paid $3.85 at costco yesterday here in Southern California.
- I think its great, finally some progress is happening with renewable energy.
- Last year I purchased a smaller car (costs about 50 bucks to fill up right now) as I predicted the prices will start to increase due to China/India. I also moved to be closer to things, I only need to fill up around every 3-4 weeks.

Honestly, I can only laugh at the folks paying 100~150 to fill their tank.

Most likely, right now they are in the "Someone has to do something about it.....(just not me)" phase. People simply don't understand why the prices are the way they are.
I understand...more complicated then said, but basically supply vs demand. China and US uses the most in oil usage.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:11 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
I saw a documentary that we are going to run out of oil by 2016 or 2019 at our current rate. I thought about buying one of those hybrid cars, but I heard that when the batteries go bad it costs about $15k to replace. THEY DONT TELL YOU THAT UPFRONT!

There used to electric cars buit by FORD (I think) in CA, but tanked by big oil companies and etc. I got this info from the movie...what happened to the electric cars? anyone see that?
saw that one and "end of suburbia" go pick that one up

Old 05-01-2008, 06:17 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Gas is cheap. $4 to drive you and a small group of friends 15-30 miles?

Old 05-01-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
saw that one and "end of suburbia" go pick that one up
Matthew Simmons is the only one in the film without an environmentalist agenda behind his peak oil belief.

I find it difficult to weigh his pure demand/supply theory vs Schiff's depreciating dollar theory. I guess my opinion is that it's some sort of mix, leaning more on the monetary inflation side.

I like the time on CNBC "Surprise Friday" when Matthew said "we probably never should've let China grow". LOL

YouTube - Surprise Friday

Old 05-01-2008, 06:37 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Matthew Simmons is the only one in the film without an environmentalist agenda behind his peak oil belief.

I find it difficult to weigh his pure demand/supply theory vs Schiff's depreciating dollar theory. I guess my opinion is that it's some sort of mix, leaning more on the monetary inflation side.

I like the time on CNBC "Surprise Friday" when Matthew said "we probably never should've let China grow". LOL

YouTube - Surprise Friday
the problem is, peak oil isn't a theory, it has already been proven via texas, baku and that oil field in columbia that dried up. its just a matter of time until we reach peak oil if we haven't already.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
the problem is, peak oil isn't a theory, it has already been proven via texas, baku and that oil field in columbia that dried up. its just a matter of time until we reach peak oil if we haven't already.
Agreed.

It's not that we'll run out of oil anytime in the forseeable future. We'll just run out of cheap oil.

Oil can cost almost as much as coffee does now and it wouldn't surprise me. That would mean about $500-600 a barrel.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Around $3.65 here in Atlanta GA. I am not bothered by high gas prices though.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post

We are not going to "run out" of oil. There is a sea of oil underground- probably enough to last 1000 years or more! What we WILL run out of is the cheap kind of oil known as "sweet and light". That kind of oil which is near the surface of the Earth, easy to pump and cheap to refine, will run out. The oil that is left will be deeper sludge type oil like you find in Alaska. It like a cup full of Coke and Ice- you suck all the Coke out and then you have try harder to get the rest out of the bottom and off the ice. You can refine sludge oil but it is expensive. So the era of cheap oil is probably over.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
We are not going to "run out" of oil. There is a sea of oil underground- probably enough to last 1000 years or more! What we WILL run out of is the cheap kind of oil known as "sweet and light". That kind of oil which is near the surface of the Earth, easy to pump and cheap to refine, will run out. The oil that is left will be deeper sludge type oil like you find in Alaska. It like a cup full of Coke and Ice- you suck all the Coke out and then you have try harder to get the rest out of the bottom and off the ice. You can refine sludge oil but it is expensive. So the era of cheap oil is probably over.
So, whats the difference? It means the day of how we live today will be over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics