Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 12:17 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I thought the peak oil theory was already debunked due to the wide spread use of fracking?
So you're one of the fools I mentioned in my OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 02:30 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,243 times
Peak oil peaked in 2005.
Since then the USA is the world's top oil exporter.

Old 10-02-2020, 02:41 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
So you're one of the fools I mentioned in my OP?
So now you've resorted to insults? Insults are simply the lowest form of making one's argument.

You'd have much more credibility if you'd just expand the reasoning in your assertions. For instance, you've said that "Renewables depend on an underlying fossil fuel base". Why is that? Why can't nuclear, or even renewables with storage (which could be hydrogen-based, although it is less efficient than say, chemical battery storage), be the "base" upon which renewables are added? Or is it because so many materials are hydrocarbon-based? If the latter, all the more reason to harvest energy from renewable sources, and "save" the petrochemicals for material manufacturing in decades (centuries?) hence.

With respect to the higher-density of liquid hydrocarbon fuels being superior to electrical (battery storage), that's a true assertion for many applications. But to be honest, if electrical energy were both abundant and cheap enough, hydrocarbons could be "fabricated" from electrical power, water, and CO2 (the Nazi's made synfuels with coal in WWII). But hydrogen via electrolysis is probably much more efficient, hence all the calls in recent years for a "hydrogen-based economy".

I've best heard this whole argument summarized by someone who said, "The Stone Age didn't end because we ran out of stones". The same is true with fossil fuels. Now, fossils allowed humans to greatly improve our standard of living, it's been said (by J. Cadogan) that "Oil allows modern humans more mobility than a Roman Emperor". Don't we still have "centuries" of fossil fuels left at our current rate of consumption, even if they become more expensive? Technology has been progressing at an exponential rate for the past two or three centuries, not linearly. The advent of AI will likely increase that rate. And to be honest, I fear the negative aspects of AI much more than "peak oil".

Old 10-21-2020, 01:26 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
So, what's the date of this peak oil apocalypse and how long will it take to get from there to zero, anyway?
When I was in high school, it was supposed to be 1982....

Old 10-21-2020, 03:08 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
When I was in high school, it was supposed to be 1982....
I'll just say this- the collapse is utterly unavoidable, and the longer it takes for it to happen, the more catastrophic it will be when it finally does.

Think of it like falling from a height- the longer you remain in freefall the more disastrous the results will be when you finally hit the ground.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:01 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
I'll just say this- the collapse is utterly unavoidable, and the longer it takes for it to happen, the more catastrophic it will be when it finally does.

Think of it like falling from a height- the longer you remain in freefall the more disastrous the results will be when you finally hit the ground.
meh!! a poor argument .

Old 10-22-2020, 06:35 AM

1,246 posts, read 822,416 times
Quote:

Fluid Friction

Old 10-22-2020, 06:38 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
terminal velocity

Old 10-22-2020, 07:21 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
This is kind of moot. 10 years from now, my electric vehicle will be powered by Hydro Quebec. The high efficiency heat pump for my house will heat & cool powered by Hydro Quebec. That will be supplemented by all the offshore wind that's going in now, tidal, and solar. There will still be some natural gas demand which can be met by pipelines from fracking-land but oil demand is going to drop off the cliff. I've already done the math on converting from a natural gas heating system to a heat pump and it's a huge win. That's my dominant energy use. In New England, the energy barons won't wear a keffiyeh. They'll wear a toque, root for Les Habs, and eat poutine, eh?

Old 10-22-2020, 07:31 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Quote:
Depends on a lot of factors (both environmental and with the object falling) but generally speaking terminal velocity is reached in less than 500 meters, about 12 seconds.

Your ignorance of physics is noted, tell us more about the science behind peak oil?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics