Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 01:08 AM

6,121 posts, read 3,347,968 times

Advertisements

I thought the peak oil theory was already debunked due to the wide spread use of fracking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 02:41 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
this whole thread is much ado about nuttin .

Old 10-02-2020, 08:54 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Some people eat nothing but, so they might starve. But I think if pizza and hamburgers became unavailable there would be mass starvation in the USA!
oh my god, peak pizza. that would surely be the apocalypse.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:02 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i think the op needs to find something else to fear monger with. there are so many better choices to run with .

Old 10-02-2020, 09:27 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The economy is slowly transitioning now into a green economy where energy produced by wind/solar will be plentiful and cheap, cheaper than oil or gas. Here in California 63% of electrical power comes from non-fossil fuel sources now, and that percentage is increasing.

Not with a smart grid that redistributes power where needed, coupled with storage. Cheap long-term storage will happen; there's far too much brainpower and venture capital being poured into it for it not to happen. Once cheap storage happens, oil and gas will be a dead man walking, except for secondary use cases.
1) I would be very pleased if inexpensive renewables were established.

2) As you note, they're not here yet but that hasn't stopped California from proceeding anyway, physics be danged.

As a result, CA has very expensive rates as well as outage issues and I don't think your numbers reflect the fact that they import about 30% of their energy from out of state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_California

I like the gist of what they are doing but the pace and potential to really screw up and set things back for other initiatives around the country is not inconsequential and I worry that they're putting politics in front of science at times as evidenced by "oh we'll figure out the storage thing eventually"...not exactly something you would want to hear from say an engineer.

P.S. They could have really eased through the transition from fossil fuels if they hadn't demonized nuclear but oh well, they've brain-washed an entire generation on that topic and here we are today with a CO2 problem.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:37 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I thought the peak oil theory was already debunked due to the wide spread use of fracking?
Yeah, the classic flaw in these doom "projections" is to assume no technological, production or other gains.

Basically it's like driving down the road and seeing a cow standing in the road a mile ahead and your passenger starts saying how you're going to hit the cow for sure....it's unavoidable assuming you don't stop, turn or the cow doesn't move.

The "population bomb" for example made predictions of global population collapse but did not account for expanded or more efficient agriculture. My father grew up on a farm and he has seen crop yields double to triple in lifetime per acre.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:44 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
the whole premise of this thread is a total joke. i havent read the posts but i hope nobody has taken it seriously.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:50 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
People have been fear mongering about this since the 60s.

Not happening any time soon.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:57 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1) I would be very pleased if inexpensive renewables were established.

2) As you note, they're not here yet but that hasn't stopped California from proceeding anyway, physics be danged.

As a result, CA has very expensive rates as well as outage issues and I don't think your numbers reflect the fact that they import about 30% of their energy from out of state.
The "big 3" utilities in California don't have high rates due to renewables IMHO. My rates with a Calif municipal utility are 10 cents off-peak and 14 cents peak, and the percentage of renewables is roughly the same as the big 3. The large utilities have high rates due to mismanagement, bureaucracy, and liability issues, again IMHO.

The 63% non-fossil number includes the out-of-state imports, and there's nothing wrong with it. Oregon and Washington produce a surplus of large hydropower so it only makes sense for us to import some.

Quote:
I like the gist of what they are doing but the pace and potential to really screw up and set things back for other initiatives around the country is not inconsequential and I worry that they're putting politics in front of science at times as evidenced by "oh we'll figure out the storage thing eventually"...not exactly something you would want to hear from say an engineer.
I haven't seen any evidence of a power reliability problem, except for one rolling blackout in August due to a fluke event (it was 110 F and cloudy, which is rare, causing solar to underperform). Even then more than 90% of customers did not have their power shut off. Other than that, there hasn't been blackouts due to a shortage of electricity since 2000 when Enron screwed us over.

I don't agree that politics is ahead of the engineering. The targets are all made in full consultation with the utilities, the grid operator and commercial generators. It's aggressive but doable.

Quote:
P.S. They could have really eased through the transition from fossil fuels if they hadn't demonized nuclear but oh well, they've brain-washed an entire generation on that topic and here we are today with a CO2 problem.
There's been a quiet and subtle shift in the Democratic platform that leaves the door open to nukes. I do think small modern nukes have promise, especially in cold cloudy areas like the Northeast. Even if nukes were politically acceptable the hurdle is cost, currently at least double that of renewables. But if climate change becomes severe enough and there's momentum to curtail CO2 at any cost, that could provide the impetus to build more nukes.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:08 AM

6,760 posts, read 5,058,954 times
IMO...

"Peak oil" will come on the demand side, not the supply side. Anyone who is in college today for a petroleum career might want to rethink their plans. Sure, the transformation will take quite a while, but at this point it seems inevitable to me. Progress on EVs would need to hit a brick wall for this to not happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics