Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 08:41 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The world should have quarantined China as soon as the first case was reported.
I don't think this would have solved anything, the virus would have spread worldwide anyway. Trying to quarantine a massive country with thousands of kilometers of land borders that is heavily engaged in international trade is just pissing in the wind. It's impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 09:31 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yet they invited him to apply for his job back, so obviously the position is open. And why wouldn't they answer when asked if they were hiring cheaper replacements to long time workers? Again, I would bet their salaries at the top have not experienced any cuts.
it sounds like he CHOSE not to take a pay cut.

There's no way to know what those "at the top" were paid, how they were paid, what it was based off.

the "top" people in charge of booking events aren't making much on that activity, and they'd likely have a heavy commission component.

if you're not the owner of a company or a relative that's an employee, you're always subject to supply and demand.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:59 AM

416 posts, read 408,898 times
Not a judgement about people struggling right now in unprecedented times but Covid has made folks lack of fiscal discipline and preparedness very evident. I’d encourage everyone to adopt some fiscal methodology - even something simple like Dave Ramseys approach would of helped many. Avoid debt, have a emergency fund, work harder than most, be focused, be disciplined and control money (dont let it control you).

Not sure if links allowed (MOD please remove if not) - here’s the free pod casts from Dave Ramsey:
https://www.daveramsey.com/show/archives

Old 10-18-2020, 10:10 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
unemployment numbers and consumer spending are very skewed right now .

the unemployment numbers are being manipulated by the large employers right now .

unbeknownst to most is what is called the warn act .

that is a law that forces large employers to give up to 60 days notice when they are going to have large terminations which exceed a ratio of kept workers to terminated workers .

by law workers can only be on furlough status for up to 6 months .. then they must be terminated .

if all furloughed were terminated together a company would first have to give 60 days notice .

so what we have the last 2 months is a lot of furloughed workers being brought back so the ratio gets them to a point where they no longer have to give 60 days notice ...

we have seen better unemployment numbers the last 2 months because of this ..
then those brought back will be terminated also skirting the law .

we also have many furlough workers getting paid benefits and still spending , thinking they have jobs to go back to . but once the 6 month mark hits they are terminated with no jobs .

so i think we are going to see things get a lot worse in the next few months .
I don’t know where you are getting the “can’t be furloughed beyond six months” information.

Our furlough was the last week of March. A guy in my department was brought back last week. I’ve seen similar cases with other people in the company. Sure, some departments may not be brought back, but I don’t think there is a blanket rule on this, at least in my state.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:04 AM

106,655 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don’t know where you are getting the “can’t be furloughed beyond six months” information.

Our furlough was the last week of March. A guy in my department was brought back last week. I’ve seen similar cases with other people in the company. Sure, some departments may not be brought back, but I don’t think there is a blanket rule on this, at least in my state.

where am i getting this ? Federal labor law.. an employee can only be considered furloughed for 6 months ..

the company can still do what they want as far as paying for benefits or bringing them back but under the eyes of the law which determines an employers course of action as far as classifying them , they must go from furloughed to terminated status .

The law

"Under the federal WARN Act, notice obligations are not triggered if employees will be furloughed for fewer than six months. However, a furlough that exceeds six months or a reduction of hours by 50% for six months or more will constitute an “employment loss” and trigger WARN's notice obligations."

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-18-2020 at 11:17 AM..

Old 10-18-2020, 12:17 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it sounds like he CHOSE not to take a pay cut.

There's no way to know what those "at the top" were paid, how they were paid, what it was based off.

the "top" people in charge of booking events aren't making much on that activity, and they'd likely have a heavy commission component.

if you're not the owner of a company or a relative that's an employee, you're always subject to supply and demand.
Not talking about the people in charge of booking events when I talk about top people. I’m talking about the CEO and the executives. They’ll still take their million dollar bonuses regardless of the pay cuts that the people lower on the totem pole have to endure.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:42 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
a 2 month old link to an article stating "several surveys" with no links to same....

we know the average unemployed person - and each of the anecdotes would be for below average income people - was being paid > 100% of their previous income.

the article notes 1 couple that got an eviction notice and their car repo-d BEFORE July 31, despite that $2,400/mo extra. Does our OP understand what this means?

Does the OP know that the employed increased their liquid assets about 30% during the first months (the stimulus check) while the average unemployed more than doubled their liquid assets?
That's a pretty pathetic commentary on the status of the working poor. I donated my whole stimulus check to a food bank because I didn't need the money, but I'm quite aware that the check was a life saver for a lot of people.

Six million Americans missed either a rent or a mortgage payment in September. We had trouble handling a quarter of a million homeless last year. What are we going to do with 10x that many?

Old 10-18-2020, 12:53 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Even with extra benefits, a lot of pain.

Without $600 Weekly Benefit, Unemployed Face Bleak Choices
Many Republicans argue that the extra benefits were keeping recipients from looking for work, especially because many were getting more on unemployment than they had made on the job. Business owners have complained that they are struggling to fill positions. But several studies have found no evidence that the supplement was discouraging job hunting, and many workers appear to be accepting jobs even when the pay is less than their unemployment benefits. And by injecting billions of dollars into the economy each week, the benefits almost certainly prevented even more layoffs.
https://1businessworld.com/2020/08/b...bleak-choices/
I know nothing of the study’s but I can offer some first hand knowledge of how the $600 weekly benefit impacted some people. For example, I know several people from a midwest state that acted as though the extra money was nothing more than party money. Many of them came here to Florida to party and escape the cold of spring. Quite a few people at the company I retired from made quite a bit more than their usual paycheck when you add in the extra $600 a week. From reading their comments on social media it was all play money. Here in Florida where wages are not exactly high for hourly workers, there have been a lot of people interviewed on the news that said they were making more with the stimulus so there was no way they were going to look for another job. So, as with all government programs, you have those that see it as a stop gap until things get better, and you have those that see it as just one more handout from the taxpayer.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:06 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
There were a lot of poor decisions made regarding the stimulus as many people were duped by reports that this problem is short lived. Many people, who had little or no money in savings, got the money and went out and used it for ATVs, motorcycles, campers, hot tubs, furniture, etc., when they should have been putting together a cushion against the unknown. We are now seeing furloughed employees being laid off, industries such as air and cruise lines at 25% capacity or shuttered altogether, and the entire structure of commercial office space sitting on the edge of a monumental change. I know people who were happy about their WFH position and making long-term plans based on this new work structure and now their job is being eliminated. These factors will continue to impact the economy well into next year.
You can only do so much hand holding. People who do not grasp the concept of basic survival will always screen the loudest.
NPR Friday around 6:30 - victim of COVID, 22 year old mother of four with the youngest being 3 months lost her job and 800/week does not pay the rent in DC now that the 600 play money are gone. She has to do her own nails!

Old 10-18-2020, 06:07 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i will be the first one to agree that what i was getting for my one day of work i lost was nuts .
Which is why it hasn't happened again, nor won't even if Biden wins in a few weeks.

People need to wake up and smell that coffee; that $600/wk just isn't going to happen ever again. Even if GOP are minority in senate next year they will see to that if they have to scorch the earth.

Something in range of $200-$400 with $300 likely would squeak through.

Other issue is if Congress will again extend unemployment to self employed/independent contractors once CARE act expires end of December. One supposes if that does happen things are going to be tightened up so it take more than just a bunch of suspect documents to get benefits .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics