Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 08:24 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times

Advertisements

Lead, adapt or die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 09:57 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Welcome to the new reality!

According to report by World Economic forum pace of automation at workplaces is increasing, and shows no sign of abating.

"Jobs set to be increasingly redundant include administrative assistants, bookkeepers and payroll clerks, while positions in growing demand include those in the green economy, roles at the forefront of data and artificial intelligence, as well as new jobs in engineering, cloud computing and product development.

An expected increase in jobs in marketing, sales and content production, as well as roles requiring an aptitude for working with people from different backgrounds “showcase the continuing importance of human interaction in the new economy,” the report added."

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2020/10...c-forum-warns/
Did I miss something, the link is talking about 85 Million jobs being replaced worldwide - that is nowhere near the 1 Billion jobs in the thread header. 1B jobs would be about 30% of all jobs worldwide (est 3.3B 2020), 85M is a little over 2% of all jobs - I don't think 30% will lose their jobs in the next 5 years, even 2% is somewhat doubtful.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:16 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Did I miss something, the link is talking about 85 Million jobs being replaced worldwide - that is nowhere near the 1 Billion jobs in the thread header. 1B jobs would be about 30% of all jobs worldwide (est 3.3B 2020), 85M is a little over 2% of all jobs - I don't think 30% will lose their jobs in the next 5 years, even 2% is somewhat doubtful.
That was my take also. 85 million is only 8.5% of a billion, which is not 'nearly.'

Old 10-22-2020, 10:54 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,457,532 times
https://www.thecivilengineer.org/new...vested-by-2025

We can't even maintain our infrastructure, yet everyone seems to think we're heading fora Jetson hi-tech future full of robots and automation. If anything, the opposite is true.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:38 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
https://www.thecivilengineer.org/new...vested-by-2025

We can't even maintain our infrastructure, yet everyone seems to think we're heading fora Jetson hi-tech future full of robots and automation. If anything, the opposite is true.

Everything is itself and the opposite of itself at the same time, isn't it?

It is perfectly - emphasis perfectly - possible going forward that some "humans" will, at the same time - simultaneously - live in both the age of the Jetsons and the age of the Flintstones.

It is not necessarily and 'either/or' proposition.

... both ... and ... both ... and... both ... and... both ... and... both ... and... both ... and... both ... and ...

Old 10-23-2020, 11:44 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post

It's classic propaganda by people who have ZERO understanding of anything, much less Economics and how the world works.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:52 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
One billion?

Wait a second, there are only 3 billion employed in total worldwide (out of world population of 7.8 billion) per datalog factsheet.
So I have to raise the BS flag that automation is going to impact 1/3 of the global workforce. We've heard "sky is falling" stuff like this before afterall.

edit: Oops someone before me also called BS I see.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:33 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Among very poor countries, i could see farm consolidation and automation becoming even more common in coming years. Which is, IMO, a very good thing because despite a tendency to romanticize farming, doing it at the subsistence level is a really difficult way to just barely avoid starving to death wen there is way too much or way too little rain in a season, which is going to get even more wonky in coming decades due to climate change.

The reason for the growth of so many big cities like Lagos in poorer countries is that people can find far better quality of life than back on the farm, so that kind of movement isn't a bad thing, IMO.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:57 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I often hear the argument that "it's not different this time" and we will adapt to automation as we have adapted in the past.

Well does that include during the early 19th century in Britain during the first wave of industrialization, and even earlier when agriculture was modernized during the enclosure period? Because back then Britain was teaming with economically dislocated people who were sent to workhouses, or transported to the colonies as indentured servants, for the crime of being unemployed. A guy named Charles Dickens writes about these times, maybe you have read him? He has a book called Hard Times.

Hopefully it will be different this time.
The big difference is that the machines are actually learning. It’s not Skynet, yet, but it’s a big progression from using a machine to mechanize a task. The machine required an operator, people to service the machine, build the machine, sell the machine, etc. With AI and machine learning, many of those support personnel are not needed.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:55 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the jobs automation replaced are gone forever ... but the new jobs that will be created are not that much less ...there are loads of jobs just in the supply chain side from all the growth .

all that gear requires a huge supply chain .

rockwell employs tens of thousands in their allen bradly automation division.

some jobs are going to vanish like the buggy whip maker did . no question .

so it is important to constantly morph .

i started life as an hvac mechanic and spent the bulk of my 40 years of employment in a related but different field as a sales engineer in the factory automation control and fan and pump control business.

as one segmant became saturated i morphed to somewhere else related .

You know what question I find interesting? Where the economy will go next.

I have a harebrained theory: Space.

Hear me out. Launch costs per kilogram have fallen through the floor over the past few years, chiefly due to privatization. When Blue Origin and other players follow SpaceX, those costs are going to drop further. If you read theorists such as Zubrin, things are going to start happening really, really quickly..

A historical parallel is the colonization of the New World. It began as government enterprise. But once it was turned over to private enterprise, activity grew exponentially.

My niece is starting college this year. She was thinking about engineering. I told her to go into aerospace engineering, because that's where the money is going to be. And once there's a permanent population in space above 10,000 it's going to be nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics