Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 10:26 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Must be where you live, nearly everyone I know is very confident the market will be doing much better with an actual functioning federal government again.
Your post seems to be political rather than economic. The US Federal Government functions the same as it always has.

• The Department of State is fully functional.
  • Department of the Treasury is fully functional.
  • Department of Defense is fully functional.
  • Department of Justice is fully functional.
  • Department of the Interior is fully functional.
  • Department of Agriculture is fully functional.
  • Department of Commerce is fully functional.
  • Department of Labor is fully functional.
  • Department of Health and Human Services is fully functional.
  • Department of Housing and Urban Development is fully functional.
  • Department of Transportation is fully functional.
  • Department of Energy is fully functional.
  • Department of Education is fully functional.
  • Department of Veterans Affairs is fully functional.
  • Department of Homeland Security is fully functional.
  • Environmental Protection Agency is fully functional.
  • Office of Management & Budget is fully functional.
  • United States Trade Representative is fully functional.
  • United States Mission to the United Nations is fully functional.
  • Council of Economic Advisers is fully functional.
  • Small Business Administration is fully functional.

Etc.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:47 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Buy low. Sell high.
In Oregon, this has morphed to "Buy blow, stay high."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/oregon-...n-measure-109/

Old 11-07-2020, 12:04 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I just don’t get why people vote for higher taxes and energy costs, among other disastrous policies.
Because there is a lot more than money at stake! I'm in a high income bracket and probably would have left the country if Trump was re-elected.

Old 11-07-2020, 12:17 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Oh, is it that time again? Well, go right ahead. Myself, I am sane so I won't be doing any of that.

Old 11-07-2020, 12:24 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,188,839 times
Trump and Trump supporters are so mad that the stock market rallied once the Biden presidency came into focus. It’s the exact opposite effect of what Trump told everyone would happen.

Old 11-07-2020, 12:28 PM

932 posts, read 899,645 times
It’s going to drop . Biden already said he is shutting down the economy until covid is done

Old 11-07-2020, 12:39 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
I have a friend, retired, who went to cash when Trump was elected. He really missed the boat by trying to anticipate mega trends.

I am lucky I did not retire early - a lot of people did, and almost all of them took some sort of cash payout in lieu of pension. And it almost always ends in disaster.
All you can do is live well within your means. Prepare yourself so that the books balance with what you have, but do not give up trying to make money.

I retired in 2010. If we never make another penny in actual income, we'll be fine. But I still enjoy investing and making money. Hiding just ain't my style. Someone is out there making money; it might as well be me.
Or you.

Old 11-07-2020, 03:19 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
There is no evidence of any inflation whatsoever right now. Measured correctly, we have very modest deflation.
Inflation= expansion of the money supply. Rising prices are just one consequence of inflation, not inflation itself.

And prices are going up- rent, healthcare, housing, tuition, lumber, gold, silver, cars, even groceries-; none of theses are getting any cheaper and some are getting far more expensive. And at some point, we will see crippling price increases for basic good due to inflation.

Old 11-07-2020, 03:21 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Because there is a lot more than money at stake! I'm in a high income bracket and probably would have left the country if Trump was re-elected.
It rallied because of all the currency printing that's going to happen under a Biden/Harris administration.

Old 11-07-2020, 03:23 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Inflation= expansion of the money supply. Rising prices are just one consequence of inflation, not inflation itself.

And prices are going up- rent, healthcare, housing, tuition, lumber, gold, silver, cars, even groceries-; none of theses are getting any cheaper and some are getting far more expensive. And at some point, we will see crippling price increases for basic good due to inflation.
Shortages and demand issues are not monetary inflation ...stop the over use or increase supply and those prices come down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics