Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 12:58 PM

724 posts, read 503,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
People still have roommates. Lots of them, perhaps more now that rents are so high in desirable areas.

But using personal items as security deposits? Was that *ever* a thing?

Probably not , at least on the national level , though IMHO plenty of old time landlords in Delmarva are/were very much partial to accepting guns and jewelry in lieu of cash when it came to the issue of security deposits .

Old 11-07-2020, 01:02 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Probably not , at least on the national level , though IMHO plenty of old time landlords in Delmarva are/were very much partial to accepting guns and jewelry in lieu of cash when it came to the issue of security deposits .
I'm just saying, your one rural experience renting as a group is not uncommon as far as a group of young people renting a place...just not with personal belongings as a security deposit.

Old 11-07-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:

That said I imagine plenty of young people these days would have the money to ( as a group ) put down a security deposit ( particularly if their folks were to lend them some ) and yet still one doesn't seem to hear much about this ...
*YOU* may not hear about. Plenty of others do.

(Why do people so often think their one experience with something defines a trend for the rest of society?!)

Old 11-07-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I'm just saying, your one rural experience renting as a group is not uncommon as far as a group of young people renting a place...just not with personal belongings as a security deposit.

Yup you have fair points ...

It's just that I find it strange that those who go on about how young people have it so hard these days when attempting to move out of their parent's house , don't also add " And for the record my niece and her friends pooled their money together to rent a small apartment/house/whatever " .

Old 11-07-2020, 04:33 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Another factor is the parents and their concept of House Rules. That parent group would largely be Generation Xers, who were the ones taking their daughters to Planned Parenthood at age 16 and are more likely to tolerate sleepovers by their child's romantic partner now as long as the noise level stays down. And who could have similar indifference to any number of other things that caused friction between previous varied generations, whether it's sexual orientation or alcohol consumption. 'Kicked out of the house for being a gay teenager' seems to be limited now to a very small subset of America compared to the Good Old Days.

Old 11-07-2020, 05:37 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don’t have kids but if I did I wouldn’t want them moving out at 17-19. I’d rather them have a bit more time to get some of their crap together and start with a better financial footing
Yes, I knew someone whose daughter moved into an apartment with a friend for college. Seems my friend was always helping daughter with rent, credit card bills, etc. All I kept thinking was, somebody was not ready to move out on their own if not financially-independent and if it was my kid, after the second or third time I had to bail her out, I'd be saying "it's time to give up the apartment and move into the dorms where scholarships and such will be helping to pay for your housing*, because you're not at the point where you can do it on your own."

*She was going to college far away so couldn't just move back into parents' house, though I guess if my kid and the situation was bad enough I might say "it's time to transfer to a nearby college and move back home." IIRC-- it's been a long time-- there may have been other "independence" issues involved too, maybe conflicts with the landlord or something, that also made me think this kid may not have been mature enough to have her own place, even with a roommate. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it-- plenty of people live at home or in the dorms through college and only move out later-- and it probably would've been the better option for this kid until she became a little more mature and had a little more income.

(I'm a bit of a stickler on that, though-- I've known a few people who were trying to live like an adult and "play house" yet were not ready to live like an adult-- that is, pay their own bills and otherwise take care of their own business. I'm not talking about someone who falls on hard times temporarily, I'm talking a kid who wants to move out or get married but isn't at a point yet where they can actually pay the bills without regular parental help, do the "adult" things like fixing domiciles or cars or grocery shopping or paying bills on time or the myriad of other "adult" tasks. To me, it's better to stay in the parents' house a bit longer and get to the point where they can be independent before they try to be independent. These kids usually have options, they just don't take them {IOW, it's not like they got kicked out of their parents' house or their parents' house is a toxic environment or something, they just wanted to move out and feel "grown up" despite not being able to actually exercise grown-up skills yet}.)

Old 11-07-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Another factor is the parents and their concept of House Rules. That parent group would largely be Generation Xers, who were the ones taking their daughters to Planned Parenthood at age 16 and are more likely to tolerate sleepovers by their child's romantic partner now as long as the noise level stays down. And who could have similar indifference to any number of other things that caused friction between previous varied generations, whether it's sexual orientation or alcohol consumption. 'Kicked out of the house for being a gay teenager' seems to be limited now to a very small subset of America compared to the Good Old Days.

Old 11-07-2020, 05:51 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Yup I realize that the cost of living has drastically increased these days , but that still doesn't explain why the cost cutting measure of renting a place with your friends doesn't seem to be mentioned much ...

Is it because present day landlords are reluctant to get into a group rent scheme like this ?
I think a lot of that is location specific. Landlords in big cities (NYC, Boston, Chicago etc) are used to renting to multiple tenants in the same apartment. Few younger folks can afford to live alone in those places so multiple roommates are the norm.

Old 11-07-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I think a lot of that is location specific. Landlords in big cities (NYC, Boston, Chicago etc) are used to renting to multiple tenants in the same apartment. Few younger folks can afford to live alone in those places so multiple roommates are the norm.

Yup that may very well be the case ...

Thanks for your input by the way !

Old 11-07-2020, 06:29 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Back in the day we'd think nothing of pooling together and renting a house. I never recall getting stuck.

So fast forward and imagine we're all 20, footloose and fancy free. Now turn on the TV and some kid our age who I'm not even sure WHAT HE DOES is showing his "crib", four vehicles, the cheap one being the Land Rover special edition.
For all that the 80s are criticized for materialism and greed, kids cared more about their independence than whether their apartment looked like something out of Good Housekeeping. People got roommates and hand-me-down furniture and--gasp--slept on the floor. I still have some of the estate sale furniture I bought 25 years ago, although I did move up to sleeping in a bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Some 30 years ago, there were parents who looked the other way at their kids' drinking, drug use or having sex, but it generally wasn't allowed, and doing nothing with yourself (not working or going to school) was really frowned on.

Kids who didn't move out after a certain age were called 30-year-old babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics