Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 08:02 AM

724 posts, read 503,332 times

Advertisements

I've often seen/heard the claim and/or complaint made that present day youngsters don't move out of their parents' home early enough , which is why I thought it pertinent to start up a thread concerning this specific type of " moving out " .

So back in 2008 just after I graduated high school , I moved out of my folks home in spite of not having enough money for a security deposit via pooling my resources with a bunch of friends ...

In short a bunch of my friends plus their girlfriends and I put our money together as well as gave valuable items ( such as guns , rings , and necklaces ) in the form of collateral to our soon be landlord , which ( along with a contract ) convinced the fellow to let us occupy his stately farmhouse down in Accomack County VA way ...

Within two years all of us had moved out into our own separate places and methinks this experience helped all of us with our future endeavors , in terms of attaining a bit of maturity/responsibility and such .

At any rate I'll basically be starting this discussion off by posing the question of has this sort of practice when moving out fallen out of favor among young people these days ? And if so why ?

Because it seems strange to me that while plenty of present day youngsters are perfectly willing to have roommates in a dorm room setting , you still don't hear much about this sort of practice existing among non college bound kids in spite of them still making up a sizeable demographic .

P.S. I just saw that there's a General Moving Issues Sub Forum , which would probably be better suited for this thread , so I hope a person with the proper authority will excuse this mishap of mine and move it thus accordingly .

Old 11-07-2020, 08:38 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I see a lot of roommates getting together to rent. What you are talking about, would be difficult to do because most landlords will not accept tenants who don't have money for deposits and income to pay the rent. (even more so in today's political climate)

One of the big changes I see with youngsters moving out is the unwillingness to accept anything that isn't new and shiny.

When I first got away from home, my husband and I bought a very cheap place and spent years fixing it up. All of my friends were searching for run down property that they could buy for cheap and then fix up gradually as they got the money to pay for the upgrades. My family lived in a travel trailer so that we could buy a nice little piece of land and build a tiny cottage on it.

You don't see much of that any more. I n fact, the youngsters seem to scorn the little plain starter home as not being good enough for them.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I see a lot of roommates getting together to rent. What you are talking about, would be difficult to do because most landlords will not accept tenants who don't have money for deposits and income to pay the rent. (even more so in today's political climate)

One of the big changes I see with youngsters moving out is the unwillingness to accept anything that isn't new and shiny.

When I first got away from home, my husband and I bought a very cheap place and spent years fixing it up. All of my friends were searching for run down property that they could buy for cheap and then fix up gradually as they got the money to pay for the upgrades. My family lived in a travel trailer so that we could buy a nice little piece of land and build a tiny cottage on it.

You don't see much of that any more. I n fact, the youngsters seem to scorn the little plain starter home as not being good enough for them.

Yeah I wonder why that is ...

Perhaps it's due to new and shiny things being showcased as being better in the media and such ?

Thanks for your input by the way !

Old 11-07-2020, 09:57 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
I don’t have kids but if I did I wouldn’t want them moving out at 17-19. I’d rather them have a bit more time to get some of their crap together and start with a better financial footing

Old 11-07-2020, 10:29 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
A one bedroom apartment in a newer complex here in small metro Florida can run $1500 a month and the $750 a month option gets you too many neighborhood meth labs. So often better to stay with parents until you get that pay boost for making shift leader at the McJob or third key at the store

Old 11-07-2020, 10:34 AM

Yup I realize that the cost of living has drastically increased these days , but that still doesn't explain why the cost cutting measure of renting a place with your friends doesn't seem to be mentioned much ...

Is it because present day landlords are reluctant to get into a group rent scheme like this ?

Old 11-07-2020, 11:07 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Yup I realize that the cost of living has drastically increased these days , but that still doesn't explain why the cost cutting measure of renting a place with your friends doesn't seem to be mentioned much ...

Is it because present day landlords are reluctant to get into a group rent scheme like this ?
If you were a property owner and multiple people who were going to be living at your place couldn’t come up with the cash for a deposit would you want to rent to them? I mean I’m not sure how often landlords these days will take guns and jewelry as collateral, hell I’m not sure that was common when you did it. How on earth would the group come up with rent if job loss occurred ?

Old 11-07-2020, 12:26 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
People still have roommates. Lots of them, perhaps more now that rents are so high in desirable areas.

But using personal items as security deposits? Was that *ever* a thing?

Old 11-07-2020, 12:41 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
Default Even I wouldn't know how to handle the comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Yeah I wonder why that is ...

Perhaps it's due to new and shiny things being showcased as being better in the media and such ?

Thanks for your input by the way !
Back in the day we'd think nothing of pooling together and renting a house. I never recall getting stuck.

So fast forward and imagine we're all 20, footloose and fancy free. Now turn on the TV and some kid our age who I'm not even sure WHAT HE DOES is showing his "crib", four vehicles, the cheap one being the Land Rover special edition.

And start life.........with five bathrooms. And you live alone.

It's pretty distorting for most. We just built a laneway home for our son, but he saved his money for a decade, so he keeps his eye on mom. It works for all. Laneway homes are over 400 THOUSAND where he is, but we had the lot already.

Old 11-07-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If you were a property owner and multiple people who were going to be living at your place couldn’t come up with the cash for a deposit would you want to rent to them? I mean I’m not sure how often landlords these days will take guns and jewelry as collateral, hell I’m not sure that was common when you did it. How on earth would the group come up with rent if job loss occurred ?

Yeah that's a fair point and admittedly that happened to be a case of old time rural values at work IMHO , something that probably isn't at all common these days .

That said I imagine plenty of young people these days would have the money to ( as a group ) put down a security deposit ( particularly if their folks were to lend them some ) and yet still one doesn't seem to hear much about this ...

I mean maybe it's a bit silly of me to even bring this up , but IMHO it's a fact that one can hear plenty about young folks being too lazy to move out of their parents' house these days on one side and plenty about how so much harder it is for them to do so these days , yet the issue of young people plus their parents pooling together resources for a dorm room like moving out scenario is rarely mentioned .

In spite of it being a potentially great cost saver .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics