Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 08:52 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times

Advertisements

Interesting question. One one hand, the employees working from home could save the employer a bundle when they re-negotiate their leases for office space. The more working from home, the less space they need. There might be an incentive to keep the ones who don't have the overhead of rent, Internet bandwidth, office supplies, etc.

OTOH- back when I worked for a GE sub that was building up a team in India- my boss used to joke that "If you can telecommute, your job can be outsourced". It's not quite that simple, of course- I worked with people in India for years and the time difference was a PITA and getting there and back for the occasional in-person trips was an expensive hassle even though I loved going there. If things worked as they should, someone was on a project 24/7 in one time zone or the other. If they went wrong, by the time you figured out they sent you the wrong stuff they were home and out of touch.

I think people who work from home need to work extra hard to stay visible and make sure managers know what value they're adding to the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 09:23 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The face-face occupations (retail, restaurants, bars, hotels, gyms, clubs) face the largest layoffs. That will increase in 2021.

Airlines also in Q1 2021 will , no doubt, lay off a large percentage of their workforce.
Unless they get another bailout, which considering the nonsense that the governemnt put them through - actually seems reasonable.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:07 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
IMO the low hanging fruit will get cut. What that means to you well you define that.

Old 11-17-2020, 01:11 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

I think people who work from home need to work extra hard to stay visible and make sure managers know what value they're adding to the company.
As we know in many workplaces people friendly with and who socialize with the boss usually have more job security. That sort of thing much less likely to go on in these stay at home situations. Now it's probably more actual productivity although I imagine people can still suck up via long emails or calls.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Some industries, covid19 has been a godsend to their business. For example, I can't keep up with the amount of recruiters calling me each week. Then I was standing on line at Staples and a guy was printing 50+ copies of his resume in embroidery paper. If you need to send out resumes in embroidery paper then you are in high demand. In the last decade or so, I never had to print my resume in special paper. Often I email my resumes and just bring a back up paper copies for interview.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:53 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Many still working are only still working so many employers can skirt the 60 day warning they need to have to give for mass layoffs under the warn act .

They are required to maintain a certain ratio of those terminated vs those working so they don’t need to give two months notice ...so many major corporations are doing this ..once they terminate the bulk ,those kept to beef up the numbers of those employed vs terminated will be terminated as well.

Most major corporations have been preparing for a work force reduction of 25-40%but trying to stage it to avoid first having to give two months notice when employees are reclassified from furloughed to terminated.

This is a very complex game being played with hundreds of thousands of workers.

It all stems from the fact the warn act says that employees must be reclassified after being furloughed for 6 months to terminated .....they must be given an additional 60 days notice if the ratio drops below a certain number between working and terminated

So big employers play games to keep the ratio from requiring the extra 60 days
You have said this before. I have not seen any evidence of this personally.

Anyone who was furloughed in the initial wave in March and April is well past six months on furlough status. You mentioned this before. This hasn't been borne out in weekly job loss claims.

Where I work, we furloughed 1300 roughly. Most were brought back. Of those who weren't, many were "problem children." Sure, some innocent people did get swept us, but it's quite rare, and probably far less than what you are inferring.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:34 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You have said this before. I have not seen any evidence of this personally.

Anyone who was furloughed in the initial wave in March and April is well past six months on furlough status. You mentioned this before. This hasn't been borne out in weekly job loss claims.

Where I work, we furloughed 1300 roughly. Most were brought back. Of those who weren't, many were "problem children." Sure, some innocent people did get swept us, but it's quite rare, and probably far less than what you are inferring.
the employment numbers certainly have looked better as workers were brought back .

now wait for it over the next few months as mass terminations start up .

employment numbers will start to look worse and worse going forward.

it is esimated that 25-40% of the work force will be cut by the time the smoke clears at many of these large corporations based on the paper work they are required to file in advance of their intentions by the labor boards in states .

all intentions of mass terminations have mountains of paperwork to do in advance of doing it . labor law firms who do this work are swamped with filings .

my son is a partner in one of the countries largest national firms . they have been buried in filings for months getting things in place so companies can pull the trigger when they see fit .

Old 11-18-2020, 02:43 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
If 2021 has more job layoffs are stay at home workers more or less likely to get cut?
I expect that work from home employees will continue to keep everything running and no one will be more or less likely laid off unless there's a hierarchical shuffling. Hierarchical down-sizing can mean lay offs, but it's not because they work from home.

When corporations cut costs, first they cut the little guy and merge jobs, overloading one person who may quit, then they cut managers and merge teams. It has nothing to do with working from home.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:29 AM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

all intentions of mass terminations have mountains of paperwork to do in advance of doing it . labor law firms who do this work are swamped with filings .

my son is a partner in one of the countries largest national firms . they have been buried in filings for months getting things in place so companies can pull the trigger when they see fit .
Can is the optimum word.

What your son does not seem to know is, due to the WARN Act, many corps file contingency filings. Meaning it gives them an option to layoff, having done 60 day notice periods, w/o having to lay off.

I'd advise you to actually read state WARN report websites. In any year, many are retracted, and in 2020, more retracted than usual.

The corps doing contingency filings never state that intention. This gives them leeway to lay off or retract, at a later date. Some, quite frankly, simply do not retract, nor execute the layoffs. They are under no legal obligation to follow through, in any way, on a WARN report notice.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:09 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Exactly ...they have the building blocks in place so they can ...many likely will under conditions today with it looking like the rest of the country is getting whacked and areas like ours in nyc are seeing a second wave kicking up.

However many are skirting the warn act by doing it in small groups so they do not need to give warning .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics