Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 07:02 AM

518 posts, read 401,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
being able to work from anywhere will have a rebalancing of pay eventually as companies find cheaper workers elsewhere as well as productivity takes a hit in many cases by being unsupervised at home
This is gonna happen for sure.

working from home has huge ripple effects as well on the economy that cancels out so many jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 09:30 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWidow View Post
Of course not all will get cut. But when you can hire anyone from any part of the country or even the world...salaries will fall. That’s my fear.
Years ago, my employer outsourced (and maybe offshorted - wasn't here then) some IT work. The results were so bad that it all had to be brought back in house. While we continue to augment with contractors on a short-term basis, there's no reason to think it's all going to be massively outsourced, much less offshored.

I'm in northeast TN. You'd be hard-pressed to find lower wages and still keep the jobs in the US.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:59 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWidow View Post
Of course not all will get cut. But when you can hire anyone from any part of the country or even the world...salaries will fall. That’s my fear.
Companies save money by not having to provide all the infrastructure and expenses related to maintaining physical office spaces. You may be able to cheap out somewhat on salaries, and argue that "times are tough". However, you get wat you pay for. You can expect quality of work to go down even further from labor coming from those out of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Years ago, my employer outsourced (and maybe offshorted - wasn't here then) some IT work. The results were so bad that it all had to be brought back in house. While we continue to augment with contractors on a short-term basis, there's no reason to think it's all going to be massively outsourced, much less offshored.

I'm in northeast TN. You'd be hard-pressed to find lower wages and still keep the jobs in the US.
I remember Dell went ahead and outsourced their tech support line. They had to bring it back in house since they got so many complaints.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:35 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,239,454 times
People can't work productively at home if their kids are not at school. Something has to give.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:10 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
People can't work productively at home if their kids are not at school. Something has to give.
that is a huge issue . we see it in our own family .

Old 12-02-2020, 11:09 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
that is a huge issue . we see it in our own family .
Even without kids, I'm skeptical of how productive WFH is.

But with kids it's a disaster; I never thought of school as a little person holding pen but that's kind of what it is.

WFH works well enough for the jobs where all your work is done in front of a computer. That might as well be done at home. But for anything that requires the least bit of interaction, WFH does not seem to be working that great.

Post covid I think we'll have more flex weeks - people negotiating to work some days per week or per month at home. But I think the notion of not having workplaces is going to die out quickly and will remain mostly for the tech industry.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:37 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Even without kids, I'm skeptical of how productive WFH is.

But with kids it's a disaster; I never thought of school as a little person holding pen but that's kind of what it is.

WFH works well enough for the jobs where all your work is done in front of a computer. That might as well be done at home. But for anything that requires the least bit of interaction, WFH does not seem to be working that great.

Post covid I think we'll have more flex weeks - people negotiating to work some days per week or per month at home. But I think the notion of not having workplaces is going to die out quickly and will remain mostly for the tech industry.
We just had a department meeting today. I work in a large IT department that was very averse to WFH before COVID.

The CIO mentioned that, while it’s not yet final, they are leaning toward a permanent WFH arrangement. Some building leases are being set to expire. Equipment is already being moved from some of the current buildings to the buildings they think they will keep permanently. My building may be on the chopping block as well, and it was recently remodeled when we moved in back in early 2019. New tools to improve remote productivity are being introduced.

Some roles will need to be onsite periodically due to the nature of the work, but many others can go remote. “Location independence” was a title on a slide during the presentation.

The future seems to be one of limited “touchdown” office space for meetings or when an office is needed.

We are likely the largest commercial office space tenant in the CSA. Other big companies in the area are also keeping a lot of their staff remote. I don’t see the local commercial office space market rebounding, ever. This is not an economically dynamic area as it is, and the large employers going substantially remote is going to have big impacts on everything from the real estate market to the local diners that made it off of lunch business that is no longer there.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:03 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Companies save money by not having to provide all the infrastructure and expenses related to maintaining physical office spaces. You may be able to cheap out somewhat on salaries, and argue that "times are tough". However, you get wat you pay for. You can expect quality of work to go down even further from labor coming from those out of the country.

I remember Dell went ahead and outsourced their tech support line. They had to bring it back in house since they got so many complaints.
The Dell move was a full on disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics