Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 01:02 AM

639 posts, read 402,847 times

Advertisements

Any advice on financial wellness for a 28 year old. Some background.

I'm 28, just bought a home by myself this year. $1700 a month
Have 19k in student debt with the government $300 a month
96k student debt on my parents house- they took out a second mortgage and I pay it $500 a month
13k in credit card debt- half for school, half for my new house buying stuff, maxed out my one card
I make about 50k a year salary job, on average $3400 a month
Car loan and insurance $300 a month
Gas and food is about $150 a month

I want to get my debt down. I live paycheck to paycheck, sometimes beyond my means. I want to get rid of the credit card debt soon.

I want to have a safety backup fund for my house
I have no retirement, I can't afford it. I need good financial advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 04:00 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi9 View Post
Any advice on financial wellness...
I want to get my debt down. I live paycheck to paycheck...
More Income. Find a better/Additional job as soon as you can.
Find a housemate or two in the next few weeks.

Old 11-24-2020, 04:38 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
More Income. Find a better/Additional job as soon as you can.
Find a housemate or two in the next few weeks.
This. You need to get out of debt and start with any credit cards. They cost you a fortune.

Get a 2nd job if needed. Listen to Dave Ramsey.

Old 11-24-2020, 04:41 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Looking at other posts by OP's always reveals alot. Sounds like you have a spending problem also.

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...g-my-home.html

Old 11-24-2020, 04:54 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,313,142 times
See www.moneysavingexpert.com Is a UK site but has lots of advice and the forum is also good for money finance questions and practical advice.
Reddit see www.reddit.com/r/nobuy and www.reddit.com/r/shoppingaddiction is also useful to insight of shopping habit etc.

Old 11-24-2020, 06:37 AM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Looking at other posts by OP's always reveals alot. Sounds like you have a spending problem also.

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...g-my-home.html
Make room for a rent-paying housemate. Get a second part time job. Put nose to the grindstone and slog it out until the cc and student loan debts are gone. Sell a lot of the non-essential c&%* you've filled up the house with, put the proceeds toward your debt, and don't replace it. Don't put any routine expenses (groceries, utilities) on the cards...make a budget and stick to it, no excuses. If necessary, make other payment arrangements with vendors to avoid using a credit card and incurring more interest; its killing you. Money you save on expenses because of the housemate also goes toward your debts. Once you get the spending and debt under control start working on savings (you'll need some because of the house responsibility...maintenance, insurance, property tax, repairs) and retirement. Your days of being a fashionista are over.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-24-2020 at 07:26 AM..

Old 11-24-2020, 07:21 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
Check out the FICO forum for some of the best advice you could ever want. Be prepared to be brutally honest with yourself and provide a ton of data points. Good luck to you.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:03 AM

187 posts, read 113,473 times
I am surprised that a bank would give you a mortgage when your payment is half of your salary. The truth is, you bought much more house than you can afford. You really cannot afford to pay half of your salary for a mortgage.

I agree with the suggestion to get a roommate. You really need two roommates. Or you need to double your salary.

If your credit card rate is high, try to move that $13k credit card debt to a 0% balance transfer credit card. Usually they have something like a one-time 3% transfer fee that they will add to your balance. Pay as much as you can every month to it, then when the time is up, transfer the remaining balance to another 0% credit card via balance transfer. Just don't charge anything else. Put the cards away.

Someone suggested to follow Dave Ramsey's plan. I'm not a fan of his but agree that in your case his plan may be helpful. You can watch him free on YouTube. You can also watch Gail Vaz-Oxlade's shows on YouTube called "'Til Debt Do Us Part" and "Princess" to get you in the right frame of mind to clean up your finances.

You have to get your spending under control and you have to either sell or donate some stuff. Get the crap out of your house so that you can make room for the good stuff, like a partner. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2020, 12:16 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:

96k student debt on my parents house- they took out a second mortgage and I pay it $500 a month
13k in credit card debt- half for school, half for my new house buying stuff, maxed out my one card

I want to get my debt down. I live paycheck to paycheck, sometimes beyond my means. I want to get rid of the credit card debt soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTomato View Post
I am surprised that a bank would give you a mortgage when your payment is half of your salary. The truth is, you bought much more house than you can afford. You really cannot afford to pay half of your salary for a mortgage.
I was thinking exactly this ^^^. Income of $50,000/year = $4,167/month gross so $1,700/month is 41% DTI even WITHOUT all your other debt!! I expect you were able to "hide" the $96k student loan debt that you are repaying your parents (and good for you for repaying them), but even without that $500/month, you have $600 in other monthly debt, making your DTI ratio of "all debt" >51%. How were you approved for a mortgage?!! (And how did you come up with the down payment?!)

When I was your age I would have HATED the idea of a roommate, but as others have said, that is likely your best bet for awhile. But you'll have to STOP BUYING CRAP that has filled up all your rooms & closets (from your other thread). Until you get your spending under control, you'll never get out of debt.

I DO wish you luck!!

Old 11-24-2020, 12:48 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
When you get equity in the home, refinance it and pay off the credit cards. Then rip all the cards up and never use them again. Get a visa debit card attached to your checking account so you always are spending only money you have, not future income. With the interest saved on the cards save up some money. Create a nest egg to cover future emergencies (eg. if you need a new refrigerator or water heater or home repair). About $15K in a savings account should easily cover almost any emergency expenses. At $500 a month you will be paying off your parents' second mortgage for decades. Check to see if refinancing at a lower rate would pay it off faster. You want the right things but need to work at it and be patient as well. It's not complicated, just basic arithmetic and discipline.
Quote:

Last edited by bobspez; 11-24-2020 at 01:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics