Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 01:53 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,508,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
This post is worth re-reading and the following post by Johnhw2.

The economic boom in the US was caused by deregulation of industry from 2016 to 2020. That and a official government policy to force American corporations to return jobs to the US and a self-sufficient energy policy.

Those years are going to be just a blip in America's decline.

Just because a company is currently based in the US, does not mean that they are a American company.

Almost all of America's largest corporations are globalist in outlook. Their ties to the US are basically historically. A companies manufacturing base means that over time the company will end up moving there. Apple's slogan.....Designed in California and built in China, will soon be replaced by Designed and Built in China.

We are going back to the regulations and governmental policies from 1988-2016. Worse yet, several articles in the Wall Street Journal about Wall Street banks defunding energy and other politically incorrect companies. That policy does not bode well for economic growth in the future!!!

NJ Brazen's quote....."It appears what is being made overseas are the cheap perishable, and small items like kids toys or remote controls, and even textiles and or plastic boxes etc etc".

is totally incorrect. China has a high tech manufacturing capacity that exceeds that of the United States. In case, you haven't noticed they just sent a lunar lander to retrieve rocks from the moon.

NASA still does not have the capability to even put a man in low earth orbit.

People in the US think Facebook, Google, Amazon and MicroSoft are "high tech". Facebook and Google are primarily advertising agencies. Selling private information to corporations about their users. Amazon is the Sears and Roebuck of the 21st century. Still a store, granted one that uses high tech effectively. The so-called tech companies in the US are consumer oriented, not driven by state of the art technology in most cases.

On the other hand, China designs and manufactures REAL technology. Yes, they might have stolen it from the US, but currently they are in the process of surpassing the US as the premier technology country in the world.
agreed with everything you said except the claim that we had an economic boom 2016-2020.
it does make sense that deregulation promotes a more business friendly environment and removes the hurdles to conduct business, but the boom was more the result of monetary policy. i.e. artificially low interest rates, and money printing.
in fact, we've been in this fake economic boom since we "recovered" from the financial crisis of 2008, and it can be argued it started well before that (likely going back to 1971 when we went off the gold standard and had the means to print whatever we wanted).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 02:49 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,575,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
what was/is a more compelling reason than labor costs for offshoring manufacturing?
Tax evasion.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:46 PM

7,939 posts, read 7,292,514 times
Quote:

NASA still does not have the capability to even put a man in low earth orbit.
I think you mean "no longer chooses to have". NASA can put a Space Shuttle into low earth orbit any time the politicians want.

China still does not have the capability to even put humans on the moon, much less bring them back alive.

Don't get me wrong, some day China will put women on the moon and that will serve as their calling card for #1 status. American politicians will applaud and say China is the best. It will happen soon.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:56 PM

6,296 posts, read 6,942,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I think you mean "no longer chooses to have". NASA can put a Space Shuttle into low earth orbit any time the politicians want.

China still does not have the capability to even put humans on the moon, much less bring them back alive.

Don't get me wrong, some day China will put women on the moon and that will serve as their calling card for #1 status. American politicians will applaud and say China is the best. It will happen soon.

Can NASA pull the Space Shuttles from the museum's??? I thought they were gifted to them and made non-operational.

China will have a PERSON on the moon, before the United States. President Trump made the goal 2024, but President elect-Biden has NEVER shown much interest in the space program. I suspect the program will be cancelled.

It will be a wake-up call when the Chinese land and establish a moon base.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:15 PM

13,261 posts, read 22,676,836 times
Quote:

People in the US think Facebook, Google, Amazon and MicroSoft are "high tech". Facebook and Google are primarily advertising agencies. Selling private information to corporations about their users. Amazon is the Sears and Roebuck of the 21st century. Still a store, granted one that uses high tech effectively. The so-called tech companies in the US are consumer oriented, not driven by state of the art technology in most cases.

Amazon gets a lot of revenue from B2B functions- Amazon Web Services will probably do $30 billion+ this year and those kinds of contracts are a lot less fickle than consumer spending.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:08 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,508,528 times
Quote:

china just pulled off an extremely complex endeavor, landing a craft on the moon, collecting samples below the surface, having it rendezvous with an orbiting satellite, transferring the samples, then returning to earth.

prior to that, they landed on the dark side of the moon, a feat never accomplished before. they have a mission to mars coming in 2021.
they've also had astronauts in space before.

given these accomplishments, i'd say they have the technical know-how and capability to put a man on the moon, and if not, they are not far from it.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:06 AM

8,275 posts, read 3,756,934 times
Quote:

In what version of America do you live where NASA can put a Space Shuttle into low earth orbit? Nope. It's never happening... especially if just a politician wants.

China is doing quite well in space. There's no value to putting a human on the moon. But their scientific endeavors are quite sophisticated.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:49 PM

156 posts, read 96,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
You’ll need to put it a deposit down before I educate you. It isn’t free.
That's another way of saying you have nothing with which to counter me. Go find someone else to impress or intimidate with your all hat no cattle game.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:41 PM

518 posts, read 393,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
the main reason for offshoring was labor costs being cheaper in less developed countries.
once human labor has been removed from the equation, and factories and plants can be run almost entirely by machines, do you think manufacturing will return?
maybe...but probably not. Component cost is still cheaper outside America. It’s likely far easier to manufacture outside of the US with automaton as there are less regulations as well.

Old 12-18-2020, 07:11 PM

6,296 posts, read 6,942,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
In what version of America do you live where NASA can put a Space Shuttle into low earth orbit? Nope. It's never happening... especially if just a politician wants.

China is doing quite well in space. There's no value to putting a human on the moon. But their scientific endeavors are quite sophisticated.

Well, you really are a Texas Lawyer!!!......not many science classes in your college transcripts??

Need to repost this by blahblahyoutwo...

"china just pulled off an extremely complex endeavor, landing a craft on the moon, collecting samples below the surface, having it rendezvous with an orbiting satellite, transferring the samples, then returning to earth.

prior to that, they landed on the dark side of the moon, a feat never accomplished before. they have a mission to mars coming in 2021.
they've also had astronauts in space before.

given these accomplishments, i'd say they have the technical know-how and capability to put a man on the moon, and if not, they are not far from it."

I don't think that most American's realize how important the space program was to American technological development in the latter 20th century. MicroSoft, Apple, and a host of other companies were led by people inspired by the American space program. Without the moon landing....there would NOT have been MicroSoft or Apple.

That said, the technological advancements after the space program ENDED. The Space Shuttle was a dead end. The Space Station is a dead end.

It was DARPA that kept America's technological edge moving forward.

I don't know enough about DARPA these days.

Is that program now a dead end??

Right now it looks like China is in the technological lead and therefore, will be the primary manufacturing country in the future......and therefore, will be the primary world power.

It is that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics