Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 07:27 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Guys like you are never impressed by technical experts. That said you might note that Mosler is an economist and an utter nut. He's fervently argued for a national 30mph. speed limit to save fuel and drive oil prices down (forgetting entirely all the negative externalities). Mosler's Law is literally nothing but an observation about US fiscal realities during and after WWII.
Slow cars is so silly!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosler_MT900

Mosler's Law
He opposes overly high taxes since they discourage consumption within an economy but does agree a certain tax level is needed to guarantee citizens use the dollar as a currency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 07:31 PM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I'm very much impressed by technical expertise that actually relate to the real world and by technical experts that know what are they talking about...this is what made me interested in MMT.

Mosler is not an economist in the general accepted meaning of the word, he is someone that made it in the real world, not in academia.
Mosler refers to himself as an economist all the time.

I'm not comparing myself to Mosler or anyone else but I made it in the real world as well....guessing I've made 100x more in oil, gas and RE than in the classroom.

Old 01-09-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I'm very much impressed by technical expertise that actually relate to the real world and by technical experts that know what are they talking about...this is what made me interested in MMT.

Mosler is not an economist in the general accepted meaning of the word, he is someone that made it in the real world, not in academia.
He was a banker then a Wall Street trader.

In the early 1990s when investors were afraid Italy would default, Mosler understood this wasn't a possibility. His firm and his clients became the largest holders of Italian lira denominated bonds outside of Italy. Italy did not default and they made $100 million in profits.

http://moslereconomics.com/wp-conten...mics-paper.pdf

Old 01-09-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Slow cars is so silly!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosler_MT900

Mosler's Law
He opposes overly high taxes since they discourage consumption within an economy but does agree a certain tax level is needed to guarantee citizens use the dollar as a currency.

Don't you love the irony of a guy producing fast cars while asking everyone else to drive 30 mph. max?

That last part is an internet gaff I think, however, I'd guess Mosler agrees with what you quoted.

Mosler's law is something like, " there is no fiscal crisis so deep that sufficient fiscal adjustments cannot accommodate." No way that's right but you get the point.

It's simple Lord Keynes re-hash. I'm a Keynesian ergo pretty-good at spotting Keynesianisms .

Old 01-09-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Don't you love the irony of a guy producing fast cars while asking everyone else to drive 30 mph. max?

That last part is an internet gaff I think, however, I'd guess Mosler agrees with what you quoted.

Mosler's law is something like, " there is no fiscal crisis so deep that sufficient fiscal adjustments cannot accommodate." No way that's right but you get the point.

It's simple Lord Keynes re-hash. I'm a Keynesian ergo pretty-good at spotting Keynesianisms .
What Gaffe?

Old 01-09-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
What Gaffe?
Mosler's law is about fiscal problems not taxes as some webpages write.

Old 01-09-2021, 08:12 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
He was a banker then a Wall Street trader.

In the early 1990s when investors were afraid Italy would default, Mosler understood this wasn't a possibility. His firm and his clients became the largest holders of Italian lira denominated bonds outside of Italy. Italy did not default and they made $100 million in profits.

http://moslereconomics.com/wp-conten...mics-paper.pdf
Yes, but he also paid a visit to the then Italian Minister of Economy Luigi Spaventa to make sure Italy had no intention to default...you never know....that is not a meeting you and I can get easily....

Old 01-09-2021, 08:13 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
Mosler refers to himself as an economist all the time.
He is jus not an Ivory Tower one and definitely not mainstream...

Old 01-09-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Mosler's law is about fiscal problems not taxes as some webpages write.
There are several 'Mosler's Laws'.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, but he also paid a visit to the then Italian Minister of Economy Luigi Spaventa to make sure Italy had no intention to default...you never know....that is not a meeting you and I can get easily....
Somewhere in here is that meeting:

https://www.eurekareport.com.au/inve...-of-mmt/148340
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics