Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2021, 09:22 PM

133 posts, read 54,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Why would you say something that you absolutely should know is utter nonsense? According to Pew not quite 5 million Europeans have moved to The US over the last 30 years..........way less than a million Americans moved to Europe over that span.
Five million is a very small number, compared to immigration from non-Western, or developing countries. Certainly the Immigration Act of 1965 is a factor, however not the only reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 10:48 PM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whino View Post
Five million is a very small number, compared to immigration from non-Western, or developing countries. Certainly the Immigration Act of 1965 is a factor, however not the only reason.
Your point about Europeans not coming here working outside a couple of narrow professions is rubbish.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:56 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
Went to my local Costco to spend my reward certificate and people were tearing the walls off. Packed to the brim with a sea of consumers with packed buggies for hours. An hour in checkout. Middle class is consuming.
That sounds like they are not having much regard for measures to try to reduce the spread of Covid!

Old 01-04-2021, 06:36 AM

761 posts, read 316,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
That sounds like they are not having much regard for measures to try to reduce the spread of Covid!
The election is over. Don’t be surprised if even more people develop a don’t care attitude toward Covid.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:05 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whino View Post
It may also be beyond control, not just out of control, and we haven't seen the worst of it quite possibly. USA has had societal unrest before, aside from the Civil War, but I wouldn't be surprised if a kind of Balkanization results in the next several decades, or even less.
This is my fear, too. I fear it is going to be much sooner. I think it part and parcel already of our decline. A nation as divided as we are cannot be great or do great things. Those days are in the past.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:08 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Camarottop View Post
The election is over. Don’t be surprised if even more people develop a don’t care attitude toward Covid.
Scenes like that aren't happening in blue states.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:15 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
I just watched this video last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO1_pW666cY

Simon Whistler covers the following points:
10. Even the Most Gun-Friendly Nations Have Far Fewer Guns
9. Freedom of Speech Isn’t a Thing in Most Democracies
8. Trial by Jury Also Isn’t a Thing in Most Democracies
7. Brits Barely Remember the Revolutionary War
6. Literally Everyone Else Thinks in Grams, Celsius and Meters
5. Not Everyone Thinks You Saved Their Ass in WWII
4. Other Continents are Bigger and More Varied Than You Think
3. It’s Far More Routine to Visit Other Countries
2. Multiculturalism Looks Very Different Abroad
1. The Rest of the World Has Some Poor Opinion about Americans

While I knew that the people of other nations are seriously under-gunned, and that freedom of speech is rare outside of America, I was disturbed to learn that trial by jury is also rare. I am thankful for our Constitution and Bill of Rights. I also consider the ability to own a single-family detached home with at least a 2-car garage on an acre lot as being very important. This is simply not attainable in many countries. I have also confined my investing to American stocks, as I just don't trust the economies of other nations.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:15 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post

While I knew that the people of other nations are seriously under-gunned, and that freedom of speech is rare outside of America, I was disturbed to learn that trial by jury is also rare. I am thankful for our Constitution and Bill of Rights. I also consider the ability to own a single-family detached home with at least a 2-car garage on an acre lot as being very important. This is simply not attainable in many countries. I have also confined my investing to American stocks, as I just don't trust the economies of other nations.
The CATO Institute's Freedom Index ranks the US at 17th. New Zealand is number one. It's not gun ownership rights which are the thermometer of freedoms. Nor are jury trials, although most in the top ten do have them. Most, but not all.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:08 AM

761 posts, read 316,260 times
Quote:

To me any decent country will have temperate weather, availability of decent homes on 0.5-1acre and somewhat easy access to mountains/beaches (nothing personal Nebraska).

Old 01-04-2021, 12:09 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Trial by jury is very rare in the US, but I'm sure you knew that. It's actually a rather perfect example of the abstract freedom vs. concrete freedom schism. "OMG, Sweden doesn't have a jury system!" Correct. But in Sweden, 100% of criminal cases see an actual trial, not a quickie deal between an overworked public defender and a DA.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 01-04-2021 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics