Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 06:13 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
*sigh*

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SOMETHING FOR NOTHING THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SOMETHING FOR NOTHING THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SOMETHING FOR NOTHING
Right. The wealthy pay their fair share and the government stops coddling them with corporate welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 10:05 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Let me get this straight-

My tax money is to help the poor starving college students, wipe out their debt? Then when the economy comes back, there is Doctor Frankenstein charging me 150$ per visit, because she justifies that rate in lite of her having to pay back student loans? Hmmmm.....pray tell What is wrong with that logic? Everything!

You can't have it both ways...because really the entire point of Higher Education is better pay and longer tenure in your job. Yet you want to burden the public with your WISH to make more then them, then charge them higher cost for YOUR education.

As for the other opinion of Everyone just go back to work.....why???? What good does a job do if you are contracting or spreading the dern virus! WHICH IS EXACTLY what has happened each time Bubba Joe gets a cross hair and decides to open back up in defiance of state closures. Remember we already have the defiant ones not keeping distance or wearing any PPE. I would rather limit my spending, be attentive to well being then worry if Becky Sue is able to get a New Ipad .

If folks don't know how to buckle up and limit their resources instead of considering their $100 a month cell phone bill to be a PRIORITY or that they absolutely must have Cable to survive. Then they haven't learned what really are necessities in life to sustain. Food, clothing, shelter. No where does it say..ohh and a higher education and 75k income.

I can make 600 stretch in trodden times. And have done so. People seem to enjoy looking a gift horse in the mouth.....

Old 12-24-2020, 10:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
$700,000,000 for the country of Sudan though.
That's not in the stimulus bill.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:28 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
If you CHOOSE to go to college, and CHOOSE to borrow money to make your CHOICE a reality, you PAY EVERY DAMNED NICKEL OF IT BACK. What is this insanity? No forgiveness. PAY IT BACK. That is what adults do. And that is what moral people do.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:39 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
If you CHOOSE to go to college, and CHOOSE to borrow money to make your CHOICE a reality, you PAY EVERY DAMNED NICKEL OF IT BACK. What is this insanity? No forgiveness. PAY IT BACK. That is what adults do. And that is what moral people do.
And the vast majority of borrowers are doing just that. Paying back per the terms of their contract.

Old 12-25-2020, 12:17 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
And the vast majority of borrowers are doing just that. Paying back per the terms of their contract.
Good. Let’s stop talking about the Federal Government passing laws to erase student debt at the expense of taxpayers who need ALL the money they EARN and OWN to pay their own loans and obligations.

Old 12-25-2020, 12:20 AM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
If we can simply print currency and give it out to people with no consequences, why did we wait until we had Covid to do it? Why not just do it all the time? Why not print the entire GDP, that way no one would have to work. Hell, why not print ten times the GDP, then we'd really be rich!
Why not make minimal wage $100K? Then everyone would be rich.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:47 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Foreign aid needs to be eliminated. We don’t have money to help other countries.
I don't know al the details, but we do it to help us in the end, to keep China from getting too much power etc. To prop up countries that we need for some purpose. It's not charitable.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I agree that the system is so messed up now. You need a degree to get most jobs now. I don't know what the answer is but people need to pay their loans. They need to find cheaper schools and learn that this money they're getting for housing will make the loan way bigger.

In one thread an autistic guy is saying his GF gets $24,000 a year to live on and she can support them both. I guess she doesn't realize that will be a target on her back at some point in debt.
She is autistic too. We don't know and nether does that poster, whether she was getting that in student loans or in SSI.

BTW my nephew wanted to go to Vo-tech for high school, but so many kids did that they had to use a lottery system.

WE have created a system where you need education to compete for a good job, but have made the price of that education so high kids become indentured servants.

It is not the same as it was for us. In many ways.

Regardless what I think students were looking for was a temporary moratorium on paying due to Covid, which makes sense to me.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Logrolling - When favors are met so certain politicians will vote for the bill, hence the 10 million dollars for Gender Programs in Pakistan.

Crazy right. The system is not functioning properly because of human greed by our politicians.
You guys are mixing up the Covid stimulus package with the Omnibus spending bill (the annual budget bill) which were done at the same time. There is no foreign aid in the stimulus bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics