Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Recovery of US economy after COVID-19 will happen:
In 2021 18 28.57%
Early 2022 9 14.29%
Mid 2022 3 4.76%
Late 2022 7 11.11%
Early 2023 1 1.59%
Mid 2023 2 3.17%
Late 2023 0 0%
2024 or later 23 36.51%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 08:12 AM

4,138 posts, read 3,044,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't expect the rollout to be perfect, but we are way behind per-capita against countries like the UK and Israel.

There are also a lot of bureaucratic stumbles. I work for a hospital system from home in a nonclinical capacity. Our system vaccinated the frontline workers first, then had plenty of excess doses for any employee who wanted it. I received my first dose on 12/22 and will get the second dose on 1/8. By mid-January, I'll have the 95% immunity the Pfizer vaccine offers.

I'm 34 and have no known extra risk factors other than being overweight. It's asinine that I got the shot well before many people at higher risk I know of.
If I were in your shoes, I would have accepted the vaccine too, despite others who are at more risk. I would be worried that at some future point the hospital would require proof of vaccine as a work requirement. In my case, I am retired, so I can afford to wait.

I share your concern for the people's livelihoods that have been impacted by the lockdowns. A lot of these businesses will no longer be around when the USA finally reopens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 08:39 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,522,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bullish View Post
We have already fully recovered and more. The stock market keeps hitting new highs and will be going even higher in 2021.
Trump, is that you???

Old 01-01-2021, 10:01 AM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times
This one really brought asymmetric pain. 50% of the small companies in San Francisco have closed permanently. Of those 50%, being business owners, many will eventually find a way to get back in....unless they are just too old and tired to do it again (it's a lot of work). Still, that's 50% less competition for anyone new that's thinking of starting a business.

The net losers are likely permanently impacted. There's no getting better. There is opportunity for the next crop. Funny how that works. The 1% income lie isn't very good about actually following reality of how people start, where they rise to and where they end up.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:51 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
This one really brought asymmetric pain. 50% of the small companies in San Francisco have closed permanently. Of those 50%, being business owners, many will eventually find a way to get back in....unless they are just too old and tired to do it again (it's a lot of work). Still, that's 50% less competition for anyone new that's thinking of starting a business.

The net losers are likely permanently impacted. There's no getting better. There is opportunity for the next crop. Funny how that works. The 1% income lie isn't very good about actually following reality of how people start, where they rise to and where they end up.
From what I've been reading, SF has basically priced itself out of the market, with all its extra biz taxes and regs, plus leniency toward criminals & homeless/vagrants.

SF/Oakland has become almost unlivable, housing & real estate prices prohibitive, the stores are invaded by homeless and flash mobs who just rip them off and walk out the door laughing, the cops can do nothing, and the general public seems not to care.

Ditto NYC, Philly, Baltimore, LA, & Chicago. This is NOT a sign of a healthy economy when the biggest cities are imploding.

I think what we're really seeing is a tech boom financed by speculators and foreign money. Why should Tesla have such a high valuation? Or Netflix?

Amazon & Apple you can understand; AAPL manufactures high margin, high demand products, AMZN is the lifeblood of a locked down nation right now. And, I suppose, everyone's stuck at home watching NFLX.

But energy, manufacturing, transportation, chemicals, pharma (okay maybe everyone still needs medicine), paper, plastics, automotive... these sectors have no reason to be booming.

Old 01-01-2021, 03:25 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Re recovery after COVID.
There will be none.
Please, read book by
Klaus Schwab, COVID-19 and the great reset.

Entire world economy reset is planned to occur in the next few years. Mr Biden, actually, signed for it during his vice -presidency. Multiple countries leaders did same.

Mr Klaus is not just some crazy economist. He is one of the primary minds behind Davos yearly Elite meetings. If you do not know, what Davos means, please, educate yourselves.

https://www.google.com/search?q=covi...w=1920&bih=910

Old 01-01-2021, 05:05 PM

947 posts, read 787,190 times
If J&J's vaccine works well, IMHO there will be a big push to attempt to get back to business as usual by Memorial Day. The Biden administration will want the tourist industry to have a great summer.

About 40% of CV-19 deaths are from nursing homes. The death rate should start to decline dramatically after the end of this month. By March, the hospitalization rates should also begin to drop rapidly. CV-19 will still be circulating, but when we reach the point where there's readily available vaccine for whomever wants it, the mask mandates will be lifted. Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian said in a memo on Friday that he continues to expect that the company will achieve positive cash flow by the spring.

Stay safe, the end is in sight for all those willing to be vaccinated.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:46 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

But energy, manufacturing, transportation, chemicals, pharma (okay maybe everyone still needs medicine), paper, plastics, automotive... these sectors have no reason to be booming.
I do not think they are, and am a career manufacturing management guy. What is happening is, during covid's various regional waves, where when not locked down, 1/3rd+ workers were unavailable at times, backlog grew. So as waves recede, sales are good by means of shipping more than current orders, as workers return and you press them to get past due stuff out.

Most manufacturers I know, and this includes both customers plus supply chain, are not swimming in new orders.

Its not a boom when you simply have more shipments than orders, and shipments simply exceed a prior quarter when shipments were harmed by missing significant percentages of your workforce.

Wall St should pay less attention to solely EPS, and more to the book to bill trends of companies, plus new order rate vs prior year. That is the future EPS.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:28 AM

20,094 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Vaccine is sitting around in medical facilities not being administered.. CDC has created so many obstacles to getting vaccinated, it may go bad. Most Governors are totally screwing this up, they should follow Florida guidelines (and I'm not from Florida) - over 65?...go get your vaccination. I have friends who got their vaccinations last week and they had no administrative malfunctions... People in other states have no idea what's going on, who's turn it is, where to go, blah blah blah...

Old 01-02-2021, 07:17 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
If I were in your shoes, I would have accepted the vaccine too, despite others who are at more risk. I would be worried that at some future point the hospital would require proof of vaccine as a work requirement. In my case, I am retired, so I can afford to wait.

I share your concern for the people's livelihoods that have been impacted by the lockdowns. A lot of these businesses will no longer be around when the USA finally reopens.
My reasoning is that anything could happen to impact my ability to get the vaccine later. It was offered free of charge, no strings attached, right now. There could be supply shortages, a change in who should get it, etc. If I didn't get it now, who knows when it might roll around again.

I'm ready to get back to normal. I'm tired of this distancing, masking, etc. I went in to a couple bars tonight where masking is optional, and socially discouraged. It felt quite good to go in there, have a drink, and have fairly significant protection after the first shot (equivalent to flu vaccine against flu) against infection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Vaccine is sitting around in medical facilities not being administered.. CDC has created so many obstacles to getting vaccinated, it may go bad. Most Governors are totally screwing this up, they should follow Florida guidelines (and I'm not from Florida) - over 65?...go get your vaccination. I have friends who got their vaccinations last week and they had no administrative malfunctions... People in other states have no idea what's going on, who's turn it is, where to go, blah blah blah...
A huge part of the problem for the Pfizer vaccine, which I received, is that it has to be stored at ultracold temperatures. I work for a hospital system, and received the vaccine at the hospital nearest to where I live. That facility has an ultracold freezer. A Walgreens or CVS is unlikely to have it. They'll have to coordinate with the hospital, which will be the distribution center, for doses of at least the Pfizer vaccine.

There needs to be better communication between tertiary hospitals, which are likely to have or receive equipment to store the most demanding vaccines, and local health departments, pharmacies, etc., to get the jabs into the arms of the general public.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:26 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post

This is San Francisco.

While I agree the lockdowns and such have hurt smaller businesses far more than Walmart, Costco, or Target, I live in a mostly open state where most places have been able to cobble a living together and remain in business.

These are not good times, they are hard times. With that said, our economy and local businesses would be ended if we in TN had the restrictions of CA. We don't have a dynamic economy like CA. We have to stay open or go hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
If J&J's vaccine works well, IMHO there will be a big push to attempt to get back to business as usual by Memorial Day. The Biden administration will want the tourist industry to have a great summer.

About 40% of CV-19 deaths are from nursing homes. The death rate should start to decline dramatically after the end of this month. By March, the hospitalization rates should also begin to drop rapidly. CV-19 will still be circulating, but when we reach the point where there's readily available vaccine for whomever wants it, the mask mandates will be lifted. Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian said in a memo on Friday that he continues to expect that the company will achieve positive cash flow by the spring.

Stay safe, the end is in sight for all those willing to be vaccinated.
This is all speculative and hypothetical.

I work for a huge hospital system in a nonclinical capacity. From my understanding, roughly 50% of frontline staff turned down the COVID vaccines when it was offered several weeks ago. This freed up doses for other employees, like myself, who are working from home, have no patient contact, or both. Basically, dozens of work from home IT nerds who have minimal physical contact with anyone professionally were vaccinated before first responder and nursing home residents/staff in my local area. I received the Pfizer jab the same day that Fauci and Biden did.

That just amazed me. Locally, there doesn't seem to be a good coordinated plan from the health department to get vaccines from the hospital distribution centers to arms of the most vulnerable in the nursing homes. Are we bringing Pfizer jabs to the nursing homes? Are staff supposed to report to hospitals to get the jab? Are hospital staff needing to report to nursing homes with vials of vaccine? I have no clue. I'm not sure anyone does. While that isn't my domain of expertise, there seems to be no thought regarding it throughout the system or the local health departments.

Many balls have been dropped and there is tons of blame to go around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics