Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 09:51 PM

1,366 posts, read 994,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
By your logic, I guess the tax increases of the early 1990's spurred the even greater economic boom of the 1990's. Not to mention that other taxes were increased under Reagan several times after 1981.

Ever hear of Paul Volker? Since when are tax cuts anti-inflationary anyway.

The sharp reduction in interest rates by the Federal Reserve played a role in the early 80's bounce back. The fed funds rate fell from about 19 percent in July 1981 to about 9 percent in November 1982.

Not to mention Reagan’s defense buildup and highway construction programs greatly increased the federal government’s purchases of goods and services. Textbook Keynesian economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 11:20 PM

19,784 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
The U.S. ranks about 20th in public social spending as a percent of GDP.

https://www.oecd.org/social/expenditure.htm

I think what you are referring to is total social spending as a percent of GDP which includes public and private social spending (which includes items like employer-sponsored health insurance).

Private social spending is not really social spending. Think about employer-sponsored health insurance. Really, this isn’t some kind of social-welfare benefit, it is a form of compensation for labor.

The OECD defines all of this not you or me.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:22 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
If more people could afford your boss’ product/services, would he make more or less money?

Obviously more. But that was always true. If we assume you are one of the "people" - then somehow you're implying that if you tax my boss more - you, personally, will have more to spend.

I still don't see how it works.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:34 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
The abstract says it all:

"We find that major reforms reducing taxes on the rich lead to higher income inequality as measured by the top 1% share of pre-tax national income."

-Yeah Sherlock Holmes, I daresay you cracked the case. Reducing a tax on the rich would have an outsized effect on the rich.

If you'd like more of my authoritative research check out my "Swimmers get wet more than people tanning only" paper coming out next week.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:02 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
If more people could afford your boss’ product/services, would he make more or less money?

Obviously more. But that was always true. If we assume you are one of the "people" - then somehow you're implying that if you tax my boss more - you, personally, will have more to spend.

I still don't see how it works.
This whole premise of if the boss makes more you make more is nonsense ...you get paid a fair market wage to do your job.

If the boss makes more he can hire more employees and grow the company .

Like I said the company I retired from had 8 of us and did 6-8 million dollars ....we got paid a market wage ..in the 24 years I was there the company grew to over 100 million and has 320 employees earning a fair market wage ....

Old 01-01-2021, 11:13 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
OF course the boss makes more ,who would put up with the hassles of managing people,giving them reviews and hiring and firing,budgeting and allocating $$ and maximising profits.
If you have done something wrong,he would take the blame besides you.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:16 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Why anyone thinks they should share profits above being compensated for what it is they do because the boss makes more is silly...

The boss can hire hundreds of people and pay them well without anyone sharing in a bonus

Old 01-01-2021, 11:35 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
European rich are born rich,some sell homemade jelly and cupcakes in their castles to pay tax and heating bills,but our rich comes from modest background,they become rich or filthy rich because they offer goods and services in high demand.
If you resent their wealth,cut up your VISA and MC cards and only buy when you have the cash on hand,remember the old days,how your parents and grandparents sweat in the summer in front of a fan or write letters to each other instead of calling long distance,eat out may be once a month or once a week or never NOT once a day ,no Dash driver to deliver your digital orders and no buy now pay later.
If we all go back to pay when we have the cash on hand,you will see our economy flatten like a hammer hitting a souffle(borrowed from the words of Elon Musk)

Old 01-01-2021, 12:29 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,165,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Why anyone thinks they should share profits above being compensated for what it is they do because the boss makes more is silly...
While no one is entitled to profits above their salary, many businesses use profit sharing to motivate employees to step up their productivity. Nothing silly about it.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:36 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,165,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
European rich are born rich,some sell homemade jelly and cupcakes in their castles to pay tax and heating bills,but our rich comes from modest background,they become rich or filthy rich because they offer goods and services in high demand.

Donald Trump and his kids were all born with silver spoons and inherited their wealth in a very European class way. As wealth inequality increases, along with the cuts in the inheritance tax, you're going to see the U.S. become more like Europe where upward class mobility is more difficult. On the bottom end we're seeing large numbers of young people saddled with large student loans who are paid low wages and can't afford to build wealth, either through investing or buying a home, because they can barely afford to rent an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics