Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 07:47 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,220,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottoStocks50 View Post
This is the second stimulus check we have gotten in less than a year and each time the markets have really gone up after each stimulus check. People who invested these stimulus checks made a lot of money in stocks and Bitcoin. Many people are now saying we will get multiple stimulus checks this year alone. It seems like it would be a good idea to encourage people to invest their stimulus checks in stocks and in Bitcoin so they can make even more money with the markets doing so well.
The price of Bitcoin is falling so you don't buy when it's falling you buy when it's at rock bottom that way you make money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 01:05 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,086 times
Many people have bad debt, and the best investment to make is to pay that off. Something along the lines of 41% of people carry credit card debt, even if a very generous half of that was a zero percent intro rate, that is still a lot of people in regards to that debt alone.

The you have things like house or car repairs that been delayed, even dental work.

So yea, it sort of eats into "why does not everyone..."

Old 01-28-2021, 02:40 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,972,249 times
Most people spend their stimulus + paycheck + extra before they receive it.

Old 02-01-2021, 05:56 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,491 times
I just stimulated Apple's economy by buying a new iPhone. Now I can finally quit my 10 year old, 8GB Samsung Galaxy go phone. So I did my part!

But the next stimulus check goes to Fidelity.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:25 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pointed View Post
Because it’s a scam. Very few small investors ever make money. Most people go through at least two major economic collapses in their lifetime which resets the game to no money made.
I don't know if you're serious, or just a Troll. I'm a "small investor" and done very well in the stock market in the 25 years I've been investing. That's even including some stupid moves when I was much younger. Longevity is key to successful investing. Even if you don't really know what you're doing and don't have a lot to invest, given time you can still do pretty well learning through trial and error. And yeah, I've lived though economic collapses and survived. So you don't really know what you're talking about.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:00 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I just stimulated Apple's economy by buying a new iPhone. Now I can finally quit my 10 year old, 8GB Samsung Galaxy go phone. So I did my part!

But the next stimulus check goes to Fidelity.
Great for Apple stock holders

Old 02-02-2021, 09:29 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pointed View Post
Because it’s a scam. Very few small investors ever make money. Most people go through at least two major economic collapses in their lifetime which resets the game to no money made.
So why is it that everyone I know who has made money off bitcoin started as a small investor?

Old 02-02-2021, 11:20 AM

78 posts, read 66,693 times
Right now I don't have enough to really invest in bitcoin. The gains just wouldn't be enough with a small investment.
Instead I've been seeking out other cryptocurrencies that have the potential for growth.
One of my requirements is that to be available on either Coinbase or Gemini.

Lately, I had been eyeing AMP, which runs on the Flexa network. It's trading at under 1 cent and looks like there is decent potential to go quite a bit higher. It's worth looking into. I put $600 into AMP on Gemini and setup recurring buys weekly of $20.

There are some others that to me look like they have potential for gains:
ETH
LTC
XLM
ADA
BAT
GRT
NANO

There are plenty of options for cryptos that don't have to be bitcoin.
As with all cryptocurrencies, it is basically gambling. Consider anything you invest as money that you burned.
It's highly volatile.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:13 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,644,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There are numerous ways of investing in the stock market. Some of those ways are very close to gambling while others are pretty different.

It depends on how an individual is approaching the stock market.
In my use of the word "investing," I'm referring to buying, owning, and holding a slice of public corporations for the long run, as distinct from "trading" and "speculating."

Old 02-03-2021, 11:17 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,644,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Investing $1200 can really make a difference?
Let's say it becomes $4800 in a year, so what? That can't even cover 3 months rent for my apartment.
I'd rather buy some nice furniture which I can live with for years.
(Just hypothetically. I didn't receive the check.)

Investment only makes sense if you can do that regularly for a long term, or if you can invest a lot at one time.
Let's say I give you a choice between:

a) $1200 right now
b) $4800 one year from now

Which would you take?

OK, how about:

c) $12,000 right now
d) $48,000 one year from now?

OK, how about:

e) $120,000 right now
d) $480,000 one year from now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics