Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2021, 07:14 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Looking forward to seeing you do it. You people are all such big talk. Like working multiple jobs is so easy.

I almost died trying to do it from falling asleep at the wheel. Thought I could moxie my way through sleep deprivation.
I have worked 2 jobs before when I was young - was not that bad. I have also had jobs that are much more than 40 hours a week. Technically I had a job that is 168 hrs a week - on a Sub at sea - although time actual working was probably about 80-90 hrs or equivalent to 2x normal work week - of course the commute distance was measured in feet.

BTW - You can't "moxie your way through sleep deprivation" when operating a Nuclear Reactor or a Submarine - bad things happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 10:25 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I've done it a few times, and at professional jobs, have averaged 50-55 hours per week.
Oh I was doing more like 75, and at weird times.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I have worked 2 jobs before when I was young - was not that bad. I have also had jobs that are much more than 40 hours a week. Technically I had a job that is 168 hrs a week - on a Sub at sea - although time actual working was probably about 80-90 hrs or equivalent to 2x normal work week - of course the commute distance was measured in feet.

BTW - You can't "moxie your way through sleep deprivation" when operating a Nuclear Reactor or a Submarine - bad things happen.
And I served in Iraq and Afghanistan in the Army, similarly 168 hour a week commitment.

The military works as a team and is more than a job. You weren't on your own. If you fall out your battle buddies will pick you up. Your NCOIC is responsible for making sure the troops get enough sleep and food to function. They also provide your room, board, clothing, health care, everything. In return you follow orders.

The military is very paternal. When I was working those 3 jobs was in the year after I got out, and realized how the civilian world is actually worse in a number of ways. No one gives a damn if you're healthy or not. Your one job doesn't give a damn you have other jobs. There's no health insurance. Etc...

The military is not comparable to trying to piece together multiple gigs in the civilian world.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:01 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Libs haven't learned yet, half a loaf is better than none.
Jobs aren't a consumer produce like food. It's an opportunity cost. If half a loaf won't feed your family, you can't just find another half loaf somewhere else. You need to find the job that WILL feed your family.

Quote:
So they may work multiple jobs. My state has 24/7 highway rest stops, with McDonald's, Subways, etc all having difficulty filling overnight shifts.

A man at a local 7-11 nearby had 2 other unskilled jobs, concurrently, for decades.
Hard, if not impossible to work multiple jobs this day in age. Companies use software to determine optimum times for employees to be in, but don't tell them ahead of time what their schedule is going to be like. Can't work another job if you don't know what your availability is.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:44 PM

34,004 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Jobs aren't a consumer produce like food. It's an opportunity cost. If half a loaf won't feed your family, you can't just find another half loaf somewhere else. You need to find the job that WILL feed your family.

To do that, must obtain education and training that is marketable.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:14 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
The problem is how people expect one sided economics.

Let’s say you’re overpaying for cable service or some other subscription. People will be very quick to cut the cost and brag about how it was a waste and so they just get rid of it.

Well, what do you think happens to employee costs that exceed the value they create because of artificial wage increases?

Old 03-03-2021, 09:16 AM

People are acting as if the minimum wage is some new concept we've never tried before, or no country has ever done before.

Last edited by redguard57; 03-03-2021 at 09:39 AM..

Old 03-03-2021, 09:48 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
People are acting as if the minimum wage is some new concept we've never tried before, or no country has ever done before.
It must be a new concept to people proposing a blanket rate of $15 considering the COL differences that exist within states let alone across the country.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:10 AM

19,773 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
It must be a new concept to people proposing a blanket rate of $15 considering the COL differences that exist within states let alone across the country.
It's just flat dumb to foist the same rate in Starr County Texas and Maui etc.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:07 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
Quote:
To do that, must obtain education and training that is marketable.
Okay a bunch of people do that is there enough jobs for everyone? Nope not to mention that if a bunch of people became qualified for higher paying jobs those jobs would lose value causing wages for those jobs to drop. Saying just get a better job is something people who do not understand how the economy works say or maybe they do not just care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics