Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 07:20 AM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Bonds go to market with suggested rates based on where existing bonds of like kind are trading based on investor action .But investors bid on them and drive them to wherever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 07:27 AM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Investors have created inverted yield curves a few times when they disagreed with papa fed raising rates and they won the battle then too over riding fed actions
Is the Fed. using a new twist operation that I missed or something?

Old 02-19-2021, 07:29 AM

Nope .

They can try influencing things via yield control and creating demand for bonds by buying them but if the worlds investors see things differently they are no match for the world bond market.

The fed talks about where investors are taking bond rates here .

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN29C2ZH

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-19-2021 at 07:46 AM..

Old 02-19-2021, 08:31 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinezac View Post
Obviously the Fed has to raise rates eventually (right?) with the current glut of cheap debt and record stocks the fallout wont be good will it? What president is going to appoint a fed chairman that will actually raise rates, even if the fed has already said they will be near zero for a few more years.
I think you misunderstand the duties & powers of the Fed Chairman compared to the rest of the Board of Governors and of the FOMC.

All seven board members of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors and five Federal Reserve Bank presidents direct the open market operations that sets U.S. monetary policy through their membership in the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC).

The Chairman only gets one vote. It is not like a corporation where the President/CEO/Chairman says "jump" and the rest of the corporation responds "how high?"

Old 02-19-2021, 08:47 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I don't think the Fed is independent of political pressure.

William Miller was chosen to fight unemployment, and he resisted raising interest rates during his tenure despite inflation getting out of control, and in fact there was a lot of second guessing of him. Maybe he was just incompetent and never saw the error of his ways, but it sure looks like he was hired with marching orders and he carried them out until the situation became untenable.

I'd like to think the Fed has since been more independent, and that's probably true. But it was suspicious when Powell eased off on the rate increases after Trump made a ruckus.
William Miller was a sub-optimal choice because he had no formal education in Economics (he lacked a PhD in Economics). He was a graduate of the US Coast Guard Academy & Boalt Law School (UC Berkeley), and was CEO of Textron at the time of his appointment.

Advisors to President Carter liked Miller for the job because he had strong leadership skills and they thought he could learn economics on-the-job. Miller told President Carter he wasn't qualified, but would take the job if that was what the President desired.

Regardless, Miller only had a single vote.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 02-19-2021 at 09:15 AM..

Old 02-19-2021, 09:05 AM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
O.k. I've got money in CDs. Locked in April of 2020 until 2023.

Rates for CDs: 1.25, 1.30. 1.35.

Today, the rates for the CDs I own are down by almost half.

Come 2023 any predictions if interest rates will improve?

Old 02-19-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Nope .

They can try influencing things via yield control and creating demand for bonds by buying them but if the worlds investors see things differently they are no match for the world bond market.

The fed talks about where investors are taking bond rates here .

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN29C2ZH
I may well be missing something but I see zero controversy or hint of a problem. Longer yields moving from near flatline with no scary spike is a good thing IMO. I'd bet most Fed types would agree.

Markets anticipating a bit of inflation down the road does not mean the Fed should do anything now.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
O.k. I've got money in CDs. Locked in April of 2020 until 2023.

Rates for CDs: 1.25, 1.30. 1.35.

Today, the rates for the CDs I own are down by almost half.

Come 2023 any predictions if interest rates will improve?
Probably not for years and if they do inflation will be the indirect driver so you'll be no better off, most likely anyway.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I may well be missing something but I see zero controversy or hint of a problem. Longer yields moving from near flatline with no scary spike is a good thing IMO. I'd bet most Fed types would agree.

Markets anticipating a bit of inflation down the road does not mean the Fed should do anything now.
Exactly . The fed is happy rates are rising by investors bidding them up on bonds .

But ,and a big butt ....there is a tipping point where rising bond rates will slow growth , it will raise corporate borrowing to high levels ...it will act as a tax sucking money out of companies that need it .

That is why they are issuing bonds in the first place .

Rising bond rates effects all aspects of our lives including fixed rate mortgages so there is a tipping point where the fed will jump in to try to do yield curve control and reverse those rates.

Or a black swan event and a flight to safety will have investors do it for them as they flock to safety assets soaring the prices on those assets and reducing yields .

Personally that is what I am betting on now by owning long term treasuries and gold to go along with my equities and cash instruments.

March saw investors bid the 10 year down to .52% ..today it is over a 100% higher ...

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-19-2021 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: D

Old 02-19-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Exactly . The fed is happy rates are rising by investors bidding them up on bonds .

But ,and a big butt ....there is a tipping point where rising bond rates will slow growth , it will raise corporate borrowing to high levels ...it will act as a tax sucking money out of companies that need it .

That is why they are issuing bonds in the first place .

Rising bond rates effects all aspects of our lives including fixed rate mortgages so there is a tipping point where the fed will jump in to try to do yield curve control and reverse those rates.

Or a black swan event and a flight to safety will have investors do it for them as they flock to safety assets soaring the prices on those assets and reducing yields .

Personally that is what I am betting on now by owning long term treasuries and gold to go along with my equities and cash instruments.

March saw investors bid the 10 year down to .52% ..today it is over a 100% higher ...
Okay. I totally misread what you meant....my bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics