Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2021, 10:06 AM

10,062 posts, read 7,229,638 times

Advertisements

Plumbers make a median of 56k. Granted that's pretty good for a non-college job. But it's not some kind of millionaire ticket.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/construction...eamfitters.htm

But there are cons: https://destinationscanner.com/pros-...ing-a-plumber/

It takes around 5 years to get through the apprenticeship. This is longer than it takes to get a college degree. Also you will likely not be making 200k as one, and certainly not in the early years. If the median is 56k you are overwhelmingly likely to make in that bell curve - so between 40k and 70k.

Another con I think people forget - you can screw up, and then your career is over. Plumbers are at a fairly high risk for lawsuits. Even if it's not that bad, reputation is important like in any trade. If you screw up a few jobs, you won't get more jobs. Also it is one of the higher risk jobs for work related injuries, and even if you don't get injured, just the normal strain on your back is pretty tough.

People think these trades are just neglected opportunities that people don't take because of some kind of bias, but they are tougher than people let on. It is also unionized in most states, which is WHY it is well paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 11:47 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Default Blue collar

GOOD FOR THEM

a pair of skilled hands does not mean an idle brain. Parents cause this attitude.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:20 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Autism definitely explains it. We do residential and commercial plumbing. Some of my customers are on the Forbes list or famous politicians you see on the news often. It’s very important for plumbers to be able to effectively communicate with homeowners in a positive way. Being shy, gruff or cumbersome doesn’t end well. It’s very much a sales like position. You don’t just enter a home and jump into work. You have to build relationships and trust with customers.
Well as I said earlier thank God every state doesn't view things the way mine ( and others, judging by this response) do. But I'm sure those who have no power here in Connecticut next time a "super storm" goes through will be thankful they weren't subjected to having a non people person restoring their electricity. Thank you for a good chuckle.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:28 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
But most plumbers have no interaction with customers because most is in new construction on large crews. The project managers are the only ones who interact with the customers or client. Most plumbers are not going to peoples homes alone and doing work. That is low paying residential work anyways.
Heck my autistic son would have been happy to do that low paying work, assuming the same applies to electricians. But now I'm not worried .... let them all sit in the dark. Beats having a shy, non-people person restore your electricity.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
I bet plumbers can make $100 per hour and work all the hours they can handle in Texas the next couple of weeks or more.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:52 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Even when we do new construction and rough in’s, we still have to communicate with contractors, hone owners and inspectors which does require some savvy people skills. I am not sure where you get the idea that plumbers are able to just work without communication. How would you expect them to even know the scope of the job without some level of interaction at job sites? Picking up parts at supply houses?

I am getting ready to spend the next hour talking to insurance adjusters regarding recent projects.
Again, there is no homeowner in commercial construction and the communication is done by management. You use the term “we” as if it applies to the plumber when it actually applies to management. The interaction for the plumber is with the Forman, not the customer. The foreman then communicates with management. Why would anyone other than management be talking with the customer, inspectors, or client outside of low paying residential house calls?? That’s not what they are paid to do! The plumbers aren’t sitting in any meetings or determining scopes of work. It doesn’t require savvy people skills to pick up parts at supply houses.

Last edited by Berteau; 02-16-2021 at 03:05 PM..

Old 02-16-2021, 03:38 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
...a pair of skilled hands does not mean an idle brain.
True, of course.

But let me give you an anecdote involving two trades from residential construction - a semi-custom build of my house from 30 years ago. The two trades: plumbing and drywall installation.

I looked at the hallway and said, gee; the wall isn't flat; it bows out into the corridor quite a bit. It turns a plumber had a black plastic ABS pipe (maybe 2 1/2 inch diameter) going from the 1st floor up to the 2nd floor; this pipe stuck out into the corridor a bit and the sheetrockers just rocked around it.

I said this wasn't acceptable - the plumber needed to move the pipe so the sheetrock wall was flat. Then I asked the sheetrock supervisor why the rocked around a pipe rather than bringing it to the attention of someone. This is a direct quote:

"They pay us to hang sheetrock. They do not pay us to think."

Old 02-16-2021, 03:42 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Again, there is no homeowner in commercial construction and the communication is done by management. You use the term “we” as if it applies to the plumber when it actually applies to management. The interaction for the plumber is with the Forman, not the customer. The foreman then communicates with management. Why would anyone other than management be talking with the customer, inspectors, or client outside of low paying residential house calls?? That’s not what they are paid to do! The plumbers aren’t sitting in any meetings or determining scopes of work. It doesn’t require savvy people skills to pick up parts at supply houses.
We don’t do much commercial. We do 5-10 million dollar houses frequently and I can assure you that at times the homeowners do involve themselves. They don’t always just let a property manager handle everything. And yes plumbers do need to communicate well.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:17 PM

238 posts, read 171,924 times
Plumbers in Texas are going to make a killing in the next few days after the freeze storm.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:58 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
We don’t do much commercial. We do 5-10 million dollar houses frequently and I can assure you that at times the homeowners do involve themselves. They don’t always just let a property manager handle everything. And yes plumbers do need to communicate well.
Residential. So the lowest paid, least skilled, and least English speakers of the industry. They don’t even have unions for residential work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics