Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 05:17 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,020 times

Advertisements

Google: 'The Great-Reset'.

Actually, never-mind...here's a link: https://www.weforum.org/great-reset/

Do I have a solution ? Not really...at least not unless you TRULY believe in the power of 'prayer' ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 05:32 PM

956 posts, read 510,502 times
I just contribute minimum amounts to 401K regardless of where market is.

But almost all of my non 401K money is in cash. I absolutely will not be reckless and put a large chunk in market at record highs. If the bears awaken after a large lump sum at record highs ouch!!

I would rather miss out on big gains than take big losses with my large sum of cash.

I was about ready to put a large chunk of $50K cash into a fund in late March early April 2020, but my boss at work warned us all to be prepared mentally that we could lose our jobs as business was floundering down hill so I stasyed safe and kept money in cash if need be in case.

I still kept my job fortunately and still have it thank god.

But soon the market rebounded too much and the chance to buy lots of stocks at on sale prices passed.

And I will not be reckless and chase a higher market. If it keeps on gaining and I miss out oh well!! The risk of bears awakening is too high to commit a large sum of money that may be needed for emergency purpose.

I can live with a further drop if I get a good deal knowing it will come back fast and then some. But I cannot live with investing large at records and then a severe drop It may never drop and go much higher but oh well if it does. I am not gonna recklessly chase a higher market.

Now 401K dollar cost averaging over near last 8 years I just let it keep on giving no matter where market is.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:42 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
This is total insanity. There is NOTHING to support these prices that I can see or understand - other than just outright massive gambling and speculation. It's like the entire economy has become some sort of BitCoin ponzi scheme.

What ever happened to fundamentals? Like building stuff, tangible assets and real property?

Old 02-24-2021, 05:51 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Meh. I saw a quick article that HD wasn't forecasting due to uncertainty or something.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-24-2021, 06:03 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
why is it insanity that the economy is starting to recover and grow?
Stock market is tied more to money growth nowadays, not real GDP growth.
Where the heck did you think all those new trillions were going to wind up anyway?
Yup, in asset inflation. (And that includes RE)
So buckle up, go long, and RIDE this tiger cause there's way more a-comin'!

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 02-24-2021 at 06:13 PM..

Old 02-24-2021, 07:28 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
The federal government is pumping trillions into our economy.

Take a look at the USD vs Euro... vs the Canadian dollar, vs the British pound, etc.

The reality is the 32k down is really like a 28k dow a year ago. Our money is worth less. Everyone feels great that their networths are soaring... but soon will realize it buys the same amount (or less) than it did a year or two ago when they were worth "less"

Old 02-24-2021, 07:41 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Only_game_in_town............if you want any sort of return on your money, you can go where besides the stock-market???????

Old 02-24-2021, 08:13 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindraker View Post
How old are you? If you are 20 years old, then I wouldn't care about the stock market crashing and rising again before I retired at age 68. It's all about long-term.

My parents, however, are in their 70s and are mostly out of the stock market and into things like bonds.

I can't advise you because everyone's savings plans are different.
Seriously...I'm still in my mid 50's and have seen at least 3 "crashes"...never took any money out and I'm still at 70% stocks...did come down from 100% a few years ago...ha.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:28 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
homeowners and investors have done well, very well, if you chose to sit on the sidelines the past 5 years, you'll never recover what was there for the taking.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:33 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I just turned on the TV and the Dow is up nearly 500 points since this morning and is at 31,995 as I post this.

This is total insanity. There is NOTHING to support these prices that I can see or understand - other than just outright massive gambling and speculation. It's like the entire economy has become some sort of BitCoin ponzi scheme.

What ever happened to fundamentals? Like building stuff, tangible assets and real property? Everything exists in the ether somewhere and it is out of control. Billion dollar companies that really only consist of a bunch of obsolete computer banks and rented office space, and if they were parted out wouldn't bring 500 bucks at a garage sale.

How can this not be a massive bubble with the Dow going up a thousand points every few weeks, with no end in sight?

Am I just totally out of touch - or are we about to experience a crash of epic proportions when reality catches up to the oligarchs?

I just don't understand - can someone educate me how this can just keep going up and up and up - when nobody is buying anything and companies of all sizes are barely hanging on and that only by the grace of massive stimulus and unrestrained printing of money.

Does everyone just think the music will never end? That's what they thought in 2007...
you must have a lot of regrets....how many more years will you now have to work because you sat on the sidelines....will you have to push back your retirement now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics