Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 04:35 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Government collateral doesn't even really matter, actually. The thing the fiat currency conspiracy people don't realize is that money is mostly created through loans - that is, demand. If somebody wants a $10,000 loan, that means they are demanding $10,000. When that $10,000 is created, the fiat conspiracy people scream "Wow, $10,000 created out of thin air!" But what they fail to realize is that there was a demand for that money.

It is only when the creation of something in excess of demand results in a devaluation of the thing produced. But in the case of fiat money, that's not the case. $1 of demand results in $1 of supply.
So then why cant I just create the $10K out of thin air for myself, instead having to pay back someone else to do create something from nothing for me? According to you as long as I demand it, it should be okay.

I demand $1bil now. I dont own any money printing machines, so after I have it made, the printer can keep some himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 05:05 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
So then why cant I just create the $10K out of thin air for myself, instead having to pay back someone else to do create something from nothing for me? According to you as long as I demand it, it should be okay.

I demand $1bil now. I dont own any money printing machines, so after I have it made, the printer can keep some himself.
Counterfeiting is specifically illegal. Only the Sovereign or its agencies can create the sovereign currency.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:31 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Counterfeiting is specifically illegal. Only the Sovereign or its agencies can create the sovereign currency.
But at the very least, I should not have to pay it back with interest. Nor and especially not enable private third party individuals to profit immensely off it.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:50 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:

You can literally pay yourself a billion dollars as many times as you like. Just get out your check ledger and write "-$1bil" on one column and "+$1bil" on the other side. You can even call your bank and confirm that the total is correct.

Edit: I paid myself seven trillion woolongs for this post.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:19 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
But at the very least, I should not have to pay it back with interest. Nor and especially not enable private third party individuals to profit immensely off it.
If I were king it would zero percent. CC interest rate is way out of line.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:30 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
China and Japan don't hold a large portion, but total foreign holdings are around $7T.

https://ticdata.treasury.gov/Publish/mfh.txt

Well your chart confirms my statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics