Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2021, 12:33 PM

508 posts, read 459,368 times

Advertisements

My mom, on SSI, lived with me from March 2019 to March 2020. For my 2019 taxes, I filed as Head of Household w/her as my dependent for the nine months she lived with me. When it came time for our stimulus checks in 2020, she did not get a dime because of how I filed. For my 2020 taxes, I did the same since she lived with me for three months. Here comes another stimulus check and I'm guessing she won't see a dime of the $1,400.

Is there anything she or I can do or is it a done deal? She's still on SSI living in an assisted living facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 01:49 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
My mom, on SSI, lived with me from March 2019 to March 2020. For my 2019 taxes, I filed as Head of Household w/her as my dependent for the nine months she lived with me. When it came time for our stimulus checks in 2020, she did not get a dime because of how I filed. For my 2020 taxes, I did the same since she lived with me for three months. Here comes another stimulus check and I'm guessing she won't see a dime of the $1,400.

Is there anything she or I can do or is it a done deal? She's still on SSI living in an assisted living facility.
Here is what IRS says about what is different this time:

"Unlike the first two payments, the third stimulus payment is not restricted to children under 17. Eligible families will get a payment based on all of their qualifying dependents claimed on their return, including older relatives like college students, adults with disabilities, parents and grandparents."

at https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-beg...s-to-americans

Old 03-15-2021, 08:31 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post

I found this in IRS.GOV:

Quote:
In general, most people will get $1,400 for themselves and $1,400 for each of their qualifying dependents claimed on their tax return.
--and this----

Quote:
The third stimulus payment will be larger for most people. Most families will get $1,400 per person, including all dependents claimed on their tax return. Typically, this means a single person with no dependents will get $1,400, while a family of four (married couple with two dependents) will get $5,600.

Unlike the first two payments, the third stimulus payment is not restricted to children under 17. Eligible families will get a payment based on all of their qualifying dependents claimed on their return, including older relatives like college students, adults with disabilities, parents and grandparents.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-beg...s-to-americans

Looks like you should be getting your mother's $1,400 payment, if I am interpreting that correctly.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:10 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
It is not likely. She would need to live in taxpayer's (Head of Household) home for at least half the year. She only lived at home three months. If you do receive it, it will be in error (meaning IRS won't know she only lived with you for three months in 2020).

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/h..._household.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics