Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 08:55 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
But when we get our currency crisis (there is no way we'll be able to avoid it before Biden's first term is up), no one will be selling any silver for dollars.
I would bet all that I love and own that will not be happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 09:00 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Bitcoin is a digital token that does nothing. Not only does it do nothing, it is nothing. The price will collapse once the Greater Fool game comes to an end- not to mention the absurd amounts of energy and the highly complex networks and infrastructure it takes to mine and run Bitcoin. The world is getting ready to head off an energy cliff, which will destroy the viability of Bitcoin.
Ah, we agree on something. In fact I was just about to use the same greater fool thesis. So much of the bitcoin value/gamble is based on opposites of why and what makes the USD the most used and most reliable currency on earth.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:47 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Total amount of silver ever mined: 51 Boz

Spot price of silver as of me writing this: $25.15/oz

Last "stimulus"- $1.9T

51B * $25.15= $1.28B

So the last "stimulus" alone could purchase the entire 5000 year historical mined supply of silver almost one and a half times over.

What do you make of this?
Fiat money does not mean we dont curb supply. But as long as it is spread out evenly, it wont make a difference from what we already have.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:10 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I make of it that the USD is more powerful than silver ever was or is.

I also make of it that in your haste to blast this out at odd hours, you put billion instead of trillion.
You should be making the opposite assumption. That little silver can command that much money. But USD needs higher denomination to command lesser and lesser product/services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I'm glad that people who are out of work during a once-in-a-century global crisis are given priority over the option to make frivolous metal purchases on a massive scale.

Next topic...
Given priority means people's cash assets are not being devalued. They should instead get furloughs on debt they owe to banks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Prove to me why the currency being traded physically needs value itself.
Transactions only happen when seller likes the currency. Why will a seller like a currency now, if they cant use it later on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Never said it did, anything we view as having value is considered... valuable.
Currency is merely a representation of labor, what form payments are made in is irrelevant.
200 years ago, beaver pelts were viable forms of payment for groceries; in our modern credit driven system we don't need intrinsic value.
Unless said currency becomes devalued, or there are shortages; as currency only has value during times of surplus goods. When it isn't, such as in Venezuela; we see the barter system back in play.
It does not need to represent anything if the currency can be counterfeited endlessly, or created endlessly from nothing.

But when that happens, there becomes less incentive for labor, or services, or products, or overall being useful, if the ability to counterfeit or imagine into existence becomes cornered.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:16 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I would bet all that I love and own that will not be happening.
Continually exploding debt levels and funny money creation + falling oil production- those two factors alone are enough to make a debilitating currency crisis unavoidable and inescapable.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:24 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Bitcoin is a digital token that does nothing. Not only does it do nothing, it is nothing. The price will collapse once the Greater Fool game comes to an end- not to mention the absurd amounts of energy and the highly complex networks and infrastructure it takes to mine and run Bitcoin. The world is getting ready to head off an energy cliff, which will destroy the viability of Bitcoin.
That's what I thought a year ago. And 6 months ago.
The world is upside down right now....

Bitcoin is just pure gambling. It might keep going up, it might hit 100k just like that short lived board guy said it was going to. Or, it could drop like a rock the way it did the last time it spiked up.

Either way I'm staying away from it. I'll stick with things I understand and crypto sure isn't one of them.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
That's what I thought a year ago. And 6 months ago.
The world is upside down right now....

Bitcoin is just pure gambling. It might keep going up, it might hit 100k just like that short lived board guy said it was going to. Or, it could drop like a rock the way it did the last time it spiked up.

Either way I'm staying away from it. I'll stick with things I understand and crypto sure isn't one of them.
I don't doubt that BTC could hit $100K... We're living in the midst of the most insane credit bubble ever (bigger and more insane than all the previous bubbles in financial history combined). BTC has no fundamental intrinsic value whatsoever, so really, any price makes about as much sense as any other.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:18 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Continually exploding debt levels and funny money creation + falling oil production- those two factors alone are enough to make a debilitating currency crisis unavoidable and inescapable.
Yet another Chicken Little post...

Old 03-29-2021, 02:18 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
The same over and over and over.

Like those guys we used to have walking around Times Square during the Cold War , with signs about how the world was ending .

We did have people who reacted and went home and built shelters and went on with their lives knowing they at least made a plan .

But in this case nope , it is only marching with a sign and nothing of value to act on.

They just change from one old sign to another and keep marching

Old 03-29-2021, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Yeah you're right- maybe monetary recklessness, exploding debts, falling energy production, and falling productivity in the real economy, can somehow all work out just this one time. Have we done it, have we discovered the secret to the "free lunch?!" Maybe next, we'll go on to invent the perpetual motion machine, and discover bottomless pits of cheaply and easily obtainable oil!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics