Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2021, 05:30 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,339,567 times

Advertisements

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...crypto-art-faq

Quote:
There’s nothing like an explosion of blockchain news to leave you thinking, “Um… what’s going on here?” That’s the feeling I’ve experienced while reading about Grimes getting millions of dollars for NFTs or about Nyan Cat being sold as one. And by the time we all thought we sort of knew what the deal was, the founder of Twitter put an autographed tweet up for sale as an NFT.

You might be wondering: what is an NFT, anyhow?

After literal hours of reading, I think I know. I also think I’m going to cry.

I read this article twice (don't ask me why) and it still makes zero sense to me (less than zero, actually)

Are these people totally nutz?

Someone please explain this insanity to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 04:50 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Someone please explain this insanity to me
Maybe you need the Psych forum to explain insanity or tell you it can't be explained.

This pop will be bubblicious.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:21 AM

9,119 posts, read 6,165,173 times
I have some tulip bulbs I want to sell. Interested?

Old 05-03-2021, 03:57 PM

20,369 posts, read 14,644,040 times
There's something beyond this, that confuses me.

I am told, by so-called experts (who are usually defending crypto) that it is the most traceable form of currency that exists, and therefore really sub optimal for use in crime.

And yet.

Once upon a time, I wanted to buy a couple of packs of a specific kind of clove cigarette I used to enjoy as a spooky young person, before they outlawed flavored cigarettes for sale in the US. (Now they have to look like "cigars.") And the only way I could get them, was to order them from overseas. And the only way I could pay for them? Bitcoin.

I know I'm confessing to crime, here, but I think it's small beans enough that I'm not very worried. And it is material to my point. I know someone who wanted to order drugs off the dark web. (A friend of my son's.) I am pretty sure that it was a scam, but he was telling me that the only way to pay for it was...you guessed it...Bitcoin.

So if crypto is the currency of choice for shady dealings on the dark web and other naughty parts of the internet, how again is it SOOOO traceable? I mean, is anyone bothering to trace anything? I know that when I reported buying and selling crypto on my taxes at one point, they did not ask for any identifying information to work out which bits of what Bitcoin or whatever it was, that I'd owned. And the wallet service I used did not ask for my social security number.

How can it simultaneously be perfectly traceable, and yet...so..not? I don't really get that.

So given that this is my impression of it, now you bring in the art world. Oh, for heavens sakes. In case anyone did not know it, shady, sketchy rich people looking to hide assets and move wealth around without it being traced, very often use art to do that. VERY often. In fact, I'd say that a huge chunk of the valuation of contemporary art, at least, is that and little else.

So take absurd over-valuations of digital "art" (or whatever) and rinse it in snobby champagne and hipster trendiness, and then saute in a shell company with some digital crime-coin until you get.... another way for sketchy rich people to move large amounts of money around.

Suspicions. I haz them.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:35 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,249,298 times
All transactions are traceable but the identity of who owns the money is ostensibly unknown. The transactions have been de-identified.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:25 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Once upon a time, I wanted to buy a couple of packs of a specific kind of clove cigarette I used to enjoy as a spooky young person, before they outlawed flavored cigarettes for sale in the US. (Now they have to look like "cigars.") And the only way I could get them, was to order them from overseas. And the only way I could pay for them? Bitcoin.

I know I'm confessing to crime, here, but I think it's small beans enough that I'm not very worried. And it is material to my point. I know someone who wanted to order drugs off the dark web. (A friend of my son's.) I am pretty sure that it was a scam, but he was telling me that the only way to pay for it was...you guessed it...Bitcoin.
It's very simple. It's like conspiring to kill some over the internet in 1994 in a chat room. You wouldn't have gotten caught until 10 years later when they had optimized software or SQL logic to check the logs.

Every transaction on the Blockchain is immutable and can be discovered, it's just a question of time and resources. Nobody is going to make the effort to track down $20 contraband but all the big boys have already been caught and locked up in jail with their funds seized. You need the sufficient bounty for data forensics teams to get involved.

A former CIA director already called Yellen out on her dumb dumb comments publicly. The Blockchain is problematic for criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics