Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2021, 10:51 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detecting History View Post
So does poorly managed operations. Do you think it’s wise for the company to admit the truth?
The truth is avoiding this mandate was an excellent decision by the executive team. I freely admit that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 11:42 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
One thing for certain their not going to tell us the truth.

Kroger's is a private entity and has no obligation or duty to tell you the truth.

Old 05-23-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Well you’re not someone in a position of authority or know what their thinking so it does not matter what you think, correct. One thing for certain their not going to tell us the truth.
No one here is an authority at the stores, but we know they closed them.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:51 PM

1,066 posts, read 892,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Kroger's is a private entity and has no obligation or duty to tell you the truth.
Truth in what regard? As a publicly traded company, they're required to tell the truth about an awful lot of things.

Old 05-26-2021, 05:21 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The truth is avoiding this mandate was an excellent decision by the executive team. I freely admit that.
Doesn't seem prudent to close a profitable store for a temporary pay increase to the hourly workers. Lot of sunk costs turned into a loss by closing. If the stores weren't profitable then they were dishonest by blaming it on the relatively small, temporary payroll increase. Whatever the story, the announcement was political theater by Kroger management.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:03 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It's easy. I worked in retail for several months at age 17. Then I moved on. The job required physical labor, but from the standpoint of brainpower, it was a job I could do in my sleep.
Oh I'm sure your brain is so big. Way too big for a job like that.

Sometimes I wondef how people like you survive in the world with such nasty condescending attitudes toward people. You think you're so much better than them.

Old 05-26-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Oh I'm sure your brain is so big. Way too big for a job like that.

Sometimes I wondef how people like you survive in the world with such nasty condescending attitudes toward people. You think you're so much better than them.
It's easy because we make it very easy to attend college. Massive forms of loans, grants, scholarships, etc. One must simply have the initiative to grasp the opportunities they get.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:38 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
......... You think you're so much better than them.

And you are convinced that every person is 100% equal to every other person, in their intelligence, drive, common sense, and problem solving ability? Every one is an exact equal clone of every other human and all have exactly the same equal abilities? Nobody is better than another person in any way?

Old 05-27-2021, 01:57 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And you are convinced that every person is 100% equal to every other person, in their intelligence, drive, common sense, and problem solving ability? Every one is an exact equal clone of every other human and all have exactly the same equal abilities? Nobody is better than another person in any way?
No but they deserve equal respect as people until or unless they prove or show themselves otherwise undeserving of it. We have no idea who might be working those jobs at any particular time or why. Americans are obsessed with workplace pecking orders and it's damned annoying how we judge each other based on what our profession is or is not. This board is really bad for it; a bunch of vain retired white male engineers who think their brains are so big. The only professions worse than you guys for arrogance are pilots and surgeons.

You know why I didn't major in engineering? Because I never even thought about it. It did it cross my mind because I was not interested. NOT because I'm too stupid. There are smart people in every field, even the arts that you people denigrate so much. Bet none of you could produce something artistic to save your lives. People on here make it seem that people who are not some kind of tech millionaires are stupid losers when that is NOT true. Some of the most brilliant people I know were in the arts and humanities.

Having worked enough of retail jobs in my youth, my observation is that the kind of people who stagnate, do not try to learn any skills, do not stay with ANY job for a very long time. Especially things like retail, sticking with it 2-3 years makes you an old-timer and you move up the ranks though attrition alone unless you willfully refuse promotion. I was at Wal-Mart for 4 years and they would ask me why DIDN'T I want to move into salaried management? (because I wanted to move on)

Retail is not an EASY job because dealing with customers takes patience and tolerance that many people do not possess. Not everyone has those skills.

I don't know what kind of losers you people associate who go through their entire lives drunk or high and want to do nothing more than watch TV until they die. But somehow I do not encounter such people very often, largely because in actual workplaces, even service jobs like retail and restaurants, such people do not HOLD those jobs for long.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-27-2021 at 02:13 PM..

Old 05-27-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
No but they deserve equal respect as people until or unless they prove or show themselves otherwise undeserving of it.
Agreed, and pay rates and working conditions have nothing to do with respect. All jobs have a Fair Market Value, which is truly your replacement cost. The more people available who can perform your job, the lower the barrier to entry in terms of education and training, the less it pays. Inverse is also true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics