Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 03:39 PM

105,990 posts, read 107,954,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
My 17 year old daughter babysits in East Hampton every summer. Her families from last summer are already calling her, trying to lock her in, by offering her $30 an hour.

It's a combination of more people being out there since COVID, and none of the students from Ireland, Australia, etc out there working summer jobs like they used to before COVID.
It was nuts , we were in the hamptons and montauk last week …..there are help wanted signs every where and few takers …it is two weeks before Memorial Day and many restaurants were closed or had limited days like Thursday to Sunday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 04:40 PM

18,419 posts, read 15,147,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It was nuts , we were in the hamptons and montauk last week …..there are help wanted signs every where and few takers …it is two weeks before Memorial Day and many restaurants were closed or had limited days like Thursday to Sunday
Here in NJ, the restaurant owners I know are all complaining about lack of workers too. They all claim that people are being paid too much to stay home and not work. Probably the same out there.

I was hoping this summer things would be closer to normal out there than they were last summer, but I guess not. What fun is it going to Nick and Toni's when the bar is empty and there are only a few tables set up in each room? Plus I always like hanging out in town, but last summer the towns were about as empty as the restaurants. I guess we are in for another summer of ordering take-out every day, and sticking to hanging out at the beach.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:36 PM

10,019 posts, read 7,163,632 times
We're taking for granted that we cancelled half the economy. It's been 14 months and people just didn't stay frozen in carbonite, to come back exactly the same way they were before. A lot of people took taht time to re-think their lives. They may not want their old jobs back because of all kinds of reasons, not least of which is maybe they don't want THAT job anymore. I never lost my job but I came very close to quitting it circa early February because the pandemic version of it SUCKED.

Some people I know who worked in the restaurant industry liked the energy. The pandemic made the energy go away.

Old 05-19-2021, 04:31 AM

6,749 posts, read 5,443,048 times
It has NOTHING to do with Biden.

I worked part time in hotels for 3 years til the pandemic hit. Being in NY, Binghamton is a common stop to/from NYC, and NYC suddenly being "covid central", by mid Feb, travel dropped off significantly enough that of the 6 front desk clerks, I and 4 others were let go. The owner/manager (who had an apartment on property) and one clerk were the only ones running the desk, and only for 12 hours a day.

This was under TRUMP.

I went out aggressively found a new retail job paying 30% MORE than I was making (quickly became 40% more, and will be going up soon), was ESSENTIAL, and once I reach certain criteria, I'm eligible for certain benefits (like 401k with 100% match to 6%; and a stock option plan), none of which were available to hotel employees, not even to full timers.
(Hotels, at least til the pandemic are basically minimum wage jobs).

My area is, or was, very much a "minimum wage central", comprised of endless restaurants, hotels, retail, ad naseum.
And has been for tte last 30 years, since 1990 "recession".

Chipotle recently announced it is going to a $15 minimum pay rate. That is stressing other restaurants!

At this time, most likely instigated by the pandemic, this area is finally becoming one where employers are upping pay...to a more "living wage" than just offering "minimum wage".

I'd say it's about time!

The labor shortage has, I think, been caused by several factors:
1) sure, the "bonus unemployment DID mean they "made" more money sitting at home, but that will be running out
2) with schools on remote at home learning, at least one parent (assuming both are in the picture) needs to be home with the kids, a "luxury" they didn't have before, but now a requirement.
3) child care costs....WOW! My former neighbor said she really couldn't afford to work, had to rely on a come and go husband for Support because for just 2 hours a day, 5 days a week for 4 weeks of child care...would cost her $900/m! On a minimum wage or even slightly above, it would have left little of her pay for any living expenses.. and that was about 6 years ago. That hasn't changed much since.
(Biden child care credit MAY help alleviate that)
4) many employers paid a"Hazzard bonus" to essential workers during the lockdown, and many took that away once lockdown was lifted. Why, idlf another job Is paying more (like mine), would an employee, who had a taste of better wages (average$2.00/hr more), why on earth would they not want to go elsewhere if they can permanently make more?
5) I think the "stagnant economy" we've had for a long time (may not be that in ALL areas of the country) is now over. Instead of "war is good for the economy", it's "pandemic lockdown is good for the economy". And, with Biden s infrastructure and jobs plan (seriously, isn't it time we actually address infrastructure deficiency issues FINALLY instead of kicking the can down the road and pretending the crumbling isn't happening??!!) Will help boost the economy.
6) some people might have taken opportunity to attend remote learning for college or certificate training while watching their kiddos learn their ABCs, and the extra unemployment allowed them to do that.

There's no ONE factor, but several leading to a job shortage of the minimum wage "anyone can flip burgers" employee shortage.

Maybe now some of the people who have for years had a mindset that "anyone can do that" will actually understand that those employees DO deserve a more livable wage...instead of thinking they "deserve subpar wages"... especially when those people are looking for a meal out!

Best to all..

Old 05-19-2021, 05:29 AM

7,140 posts, read 9,224,569 times
The shortage of restaurant workers will be solved by increasing their compensation.

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp0sEXWSMwk

Old 05-23-2021, 01:56 PM

17,058 posts, read 21,722,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
It has NOTHING to do with Biden.

I worked part time in hotels for 3 years til the pandemic hit. Being in NY, Binghamton is a common stop to/from NYC, and NYC suddenly being "covid central", by mid Feb, travel dropped off significantly enough that of the 6 front desk clerks, I and 4 others were let go. The owner/manager (who had an apartment on property) and one clerk were the only ones running the desk, and only for 12 hours a day.

This was under TRUMP.

I went out aggressively found a new retail job paying 30% MORE than I was making (quickly became 40% more, and will be going up soon), was ESSENTIAL, and once I reach certain criteria, I'm eligible for certain benefits (like 401k with 100% match to 6%; and a stock option plan), none of which were available to hotel employees, not even to full timers.
(Hotels, at least til the pandemic are basically minimum wage jobs).

Chipotle recently announced it is going to a $15 minimum pay rate. That is stressing other restaurants!

At this time, most likely instigated by the pandemic, this area is finally becoming one where employers are upping pay...to a more "living wage" than just offering "minimum wage".

I'd say it's about time!

Maybe now some of the people who have for years had a mindset that "anyone can do that" will actually understand that those employees DO deserve a more livable wage...instead of thinking they "deserve subpar wages"... especially when those people are looking for a meal out!

Best to all..

Wrong on many levels...........

In my state you can get $575 a week NOT to go to work. So even in the fantasyland of $15 burger flippers, $600 a week is not worth doing when you can get $575 to STAY HOME! Chipotle isn't changing the market, the Federal Government is!

I need 2 more employees NOW, starting pay with no experience I pay $750 a week and literally get spurts of no applications to awful applications and even paying $39,000 I could bump it 5K more and still get unqualified applicants.

What you did (strive to improve your situation) is what the rest of the country needs to do WITHOUT a welfare check from the government!

Old 05-23-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
The shortage of restaurant workers will be solved by increasing their compensation.

Watch this:

[
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp0s.........EXWSMwk
Just about the dumbest video on youtube. I don't care for Trevor Noah, I don't even find him funny when he is trying to be funny. Businesses are essentially a math equation, income (sales) minus costs = profits or in some cases a loss. There are plenty of businesses that I would never venture into (restaurants are in that category). The rents are huge, the food costs (including shrinkage) are astronomical and with the online sites making "everyone an expert food critic" you can literally go down in flames in a week after you get trashed online.

For him to say "business owners can pay more" is simply wrong. I know a salon owner that borrowed 40K on her house to pay staff before the paycheck loans came in. Salon was closed, ZERO revenue yet she borrowed 40K to make sure the staff had money. What was her solution in the end? She sold both salons, put her house up for sale and is simply retiring to a cheaper location. She simply cashed out and moved on.

If the business pays more, the owner might not be able to make it run anymore then EVERYONE is out of a job. So before you pay your dishwashers $40 an hour because you feel that should be the new living wage (yeah $1600 a week, 83K a year) think about the bigger math equation. McDonald's can't sell 79 cent burgers if everyone in the building is making $600+ a week. Also consider if the assistant manager is making $600 a week now and suddenly the minimum wage is $600 then they will be upset and demand $800+ a week. Then the manager that was making $1000 a week will feel if the assistant is making $800 then they should be making $1200+.......can't give everyone extra money if the business doesn't have the "extra" revenue. Again, its basic math that guys like Trevor Noah know NOTHING about.

Don't believe me?

Google major US companies that were bled dry by unions. You know, organizations that force companies to pay more and subsequently force them to close or better yet relocate to cheaper labor locations.

Old 05-24-2021, 12:12 AM

6,749 posts, read 5,443,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Wrong on many levels...........

In my state you can get $575 a week NOT to go to work. So even in the fantasyland of $15 burger flippers, $600 a week is not worth doing when you can get $575 to STAY HOME! Chipotle isn't changing the market, the Federal Government is!

I need 2 more employees NOW, starting pay with no experience I pay $750 a week and literally get spurts of no applications to awful applications and even paying $39,000 I could bump it 5K more and still get unqualified applicants.

What you did (strive to improve your situation) is what the rest of the country needs to do WITHOUT a welfare check from the government!
And apparently you haven't gotten the memo: those extra bennies are going to run out, and sooner than those who stay "cushy at home" would like.

Just like those who don't or haven't paid rent "because they don't HAVE to pay", will get a shock, in my state...eviction restrictions..that's been pushed to Aug 31.

So there's going to be a "come uppance" for those who are trying to "fleece the system".

But there are still those who NEED to be home.. until the kids are firmly back in school before they can really go back to work.

And, those paying wages...sub par wages may STILL find a lack of qualified application s... especially if all they offer is the "anyone can flip burgers" jobs, because those "anyone's" might still go elsewhere to get paid more, if a neighboring business is offering more pay than you are.

Just because the jobless benefits run out... still doesn't mean you'll get qualified applicants...or, maybe application s will improve for you, we won't actually know until then, will we?

And if all the jobs you offer are "subpar anyone can do that' starter jobs'...you've got to expect that the 'quality of applications' IS going to be "subpar" and "anyone who THINKS they can do that" type application s.

Last edited by galaxyhi; 05-24-2021 at 12:21 AM..

Old 05-24-2021, 03:15 AM

4,230 posts, read 2,429,571 times
Here's the problem: while it's very easy to start government spending and welfare programs, it is not easy at all to put a stop to them....

Old 05-24-2021, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
And apparently you haven't gotten the memo: those extra bennies are going to run out, and sooner than those who stay "cushy at home" would like.

Just like those who don't or haven't paid rent "because they don't HAVE to pay", will get a shock, in my state...eviction restrictions..that's been pushed to Aug 31.

So there's going to be a "come uppance" for those who are trying to "fleece the system".

But there are still those who NEED to be home.. until the kids are firmly back in school before they can really go back to work.

And, those paying wages...sub par wages may STILL find a lack of qualified application s... especially if all they offer is the "anyone can flip burgers" jobs, because those "anyone's" might still go elsewhere to get paid more, if a neighboring business is offering more pay than you are.

Just because the jobless benefits run out... still doesn't mean you'll get qualified applicants...or, maybe application s will improve for you, we won't actually know until then, will we?

And if all the jobs you offer are "subpar anyone can do that' starter jobs'...you've got to expect that the 'quality of applications' IS going to be "subpar" and "anyone who THINKS they can do that" type application s.

Ok benefits are ending...........yet they seem to get extended often!

Kids home? Summer vacation is a few weeks away, what would those same parents do with the kids all summer when they had to work?

Job is actually a trade, hence the starting pay with no experience. Also consider that 32 years of doing this the labor has never been an issue until 2020-21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics