Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 08:39 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I never worked at a restaurant, but I worked at a grocery store for 8 years and the sheer volume of rude customers was kind of insane. Getting mad at me because they couldn't find something they were looking for, often times because they weren't looking close enough. I couldn't imagine what servers at restaurants have to go through. I've never really understood what being mean solved. To me it always implies there was nefarious intent by the employee. We've turned into a weird society where we think that if you earn more than somebody else you are inherently better than them.

This is purely anecdotal, but I notice it the most with my most educated friends. Several that have PhDs that say they are too good for work that is hourly, etc. I've never understood that attitude. An education doesn't inherently make you a more valuable human. Your human capital is worth what someone is willing to pay for it regardless of how many degrees you have.
Sometimes, more education makes people worse. Sad, but true

I have a decent paying job in I.T., but if I needed extra bucks, I wouldn't hesitate to apply to a store. I've been fantasizing lately about moonlighting at the local Whole Foods where I love to shop; they start at $15. Restaurants... did that when I was younger... might could do it again but it's hard work and I'm a somewhat lazy person in general.

I'm always very polite to people in stores & restaurants. I figure, they deal with a lot of rude people so why should I add to the misery? It doesn't cost anything to be polite. And it's amazing how nice they are back - they do me favors, give me free stuff, etc. I'm also super nice to customer support people on the phone. Also cops. Man. Talk about a difficult job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 08:40 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
One of the kidlets quit their restaurant job because she did not feel the employees were being protected, so she went back to school.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-22-2021, 09:29 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. Food service is no worse or better than a hundred other jobs. Have you ever worked in landscaping? Or on a dairy farm or a construction site? Or a mover? Back breaking work. You come home at the end of the day, totally exhausted and filthy. One good injury and you're out, possibly forever.

Then we could talk about some miserable office situations, with back stabbers and gossips making everyone miserable. Call centers where you deal all day with angry people.

I think the biggest problem with food service is the prevailing attitude that it's scut work, that people who do it are losers, to be despised or pitied.

I thought the 1960s was about getting away from elitism, stick it to "the rich", all those rock-n-roll bands glorifying the working people over the elite, and so forth. Yet, people's attitudes have become less egalitarian over the years.

Okay I'll get off my soap box now
I worked in a dish room in college, nights, until 1 a.m. It was hot, loud, smelled like garbage, physically demanding - and you had to move fast or you would be there even later. Like you said, I came home exhausted and filthy. The only benefit was that I became desensitized to heat for awhile, which can help you cook.

Was it worse than construction, I don't know, but at least construction workers are paid over minimum wage. A lot of people that work in kitchens are making the bare minimum because the margins in the restaurant industry are so low.

This has nothing to do with "elitism," and everything to do with the fact that food service, with some exceptions, is hard work with some of the lowest wages out of any industry.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:38 PM

9,132 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
One of the kidlets quit their restaurant job because she did not feel the employees were being protected, so she went back to school.
Most workers don't have that option.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:40 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Most workers don't have that option.
No. They have to show up to work and hope they do not become infected. But gotta keep the economy running!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-22-2021, 09:05 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/care...my/ar-BB1fJt1i

This article, and a similar one, popped up on NYT newsfeed last week, detailing the labor crisis hitting mostly smaller business with low paying jobs, especially restaurants.

Locally, this kind of hit home today. A local BBQ place that's a favorite of mine is now closing on Monday's due to "an accurate labor shortage caused by the pandemic." The Italian place up the street from that BBQ place is in desperate needs of waitresses.

This situation is repeated at virtually every restaurant around town. What's driving this? COVID stimulus and unemployment benefits? Fear of infection? Low pay? Being treated poorly by patrons?
There are hiring shortages everywhere here. Signs in every store, ever restaurant. People are making too much money on unemployment to go to work. Stop the unemployment and that will take care of it.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:03 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
There are hiring shortages everywhere here. Signs in every store, ever restaurant. People are making too much money on unemployment to go to work. Stop the unemployment and that will take care of it.
Stop the unemployment and eliminate the minimum wage. If we can get wages low enough I might get a butler and a driver.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:49 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/care...my/ar-BB1fJt1i

This article, and a similar one, popped up on NYT newsfeed last week, detailing the labor crisis hitting mostly smaller business with low paying jobs, especially restaurants.

Locally, this kind of hit home today. A local BBQ place that's a favorite of mine is now closing on Monday's due to "an accurate labor shortage caused by the pandemic." The Italian place up the street from that BBQ place is in desperate needs of waitresses.

This situation is repeated at virtually every restaurant around town. What's driving this? COVID stimulus and unemployment benefits? Fear of infection? Low pay? Being treated poorly by patrons?
Arguing with the math. How many food service workers are paid less than $15 an hour?
$600 a week is $15 an hour, that is math

Old 04-23-2021, 08:21 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Stop the unemployment and eliminate the minimum wage. If we can get wages low enough I might get a butler and a driver.
We need minimum wage. And we wed SOME unemployment. But the CARES part needs to end.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:24 AM

43,101 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
We need minimum wage. And we wed SOME unemployment. But the CARES part needs to end.
No one wants to quit unemployment because it pays too well; more than a min wage job.

The restaurant I go to for breakfast each week has 1/2 closed off because they are short staff.
Earlier in the pandemic not many people were going out to eat but now parking lots are full around by me.

Some other restaurants are closing 1 or 2 days during the week because of staff shortages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics